Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Thats great that they can run in Waterloo, what about Kitchener though. In my mind, there has to be an issue. They were running the trains to Fairview, now they dont..

(04-29-2019, 04:37 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Thats great that they can run in Waterloo, what about Kitchener though.  In my mind, there has to be an issue.  They were running the trains to Fairview, now they dont..

An issue with the tracks or catenaries? It's hard to imagine what issue would prevent that, especially as there is no obvious work going on to correct a track/catenary problem.
(04-29-2019, 12:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Yes, I think it’s safe to say that Bombardier’s part in the delay is all in the past. We’ve had all the vehicles for 4 months, and some of them for over a year. When was that pull-through test?

Not so fast...We heard in the council update from Feb 28

Quote:"Overall reliability of the vehicles continues to be an issue. Bombardier needs to
complete significant modifications to address reliability issues. This totals
approximately 50 to 100 hours per vehicle of critical work that needs to completed
before service starts and 200 to 250 hours of work that can be completed after
service starts. These types of issues can be expected with an initial run of vehicles."
I had concerns at one point it was the water main issue at Cameron but it has been much longer since then that I have seen anything past the switch at Cameron
(04-29-2019, 11:32 PM)white_brian Wrote: I had concerns at one point it was the water main issue at Cameron but it has been much longer since then that I have seen anything past the switch at Cameron

Agreed,  there has been no trains that I have seen on the southern portion.  I would see them regularly, now, never.  Something is up for sure...
I saw one on Friday at the station At Borden and Charles but it was stopped there not running. That was the day after the water main break.
(04-30-2019, 07:05 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 11:32 PM)white_brian Wrote: I had concerns at one point it was the water main issue at Cameron but it has been much longer since then that I have seen anything past the switch at Cameron

Agreed,  there has been no trains that I have seen on the southern portion.  I would see them regularly, now, never.  Something is up for sure...

That something that is up could be that testing is done. Although *my* concern is is that the signals are still bagged. I guess we will know at the council meeting.

(04-29-2019, 09:53 PM)CuilTard Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 12:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Yes, I think it’s safe to say that Bombardier’s part in the delay is all in the past. We’ve had all the vehicles for 4 months, and some of them for over a year. When was that pull-through test?

Not so fast...We heard in the council update from Feb 28

Quote:"Overall reliability of the vehicles continues to be an issue. Bombardier needs to
complete significant modifications to address reliability issues. This totals
approximately 50 to 100 hours per vehicle of critical work that needs to completed
before service starts and 200 to 250 hours of work that can be completed after
service starts. These types of issues can be expected with an initial run of vehicles."

Yes. But that was only 1.25-2.5 weeks of work per vehicle, and two months have elapsed since. That should not be an issue at this point.
(04-30-2019, 09:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 09:53 PM)CuilTard Wrote: Not so fast...We heard in the council update from Feb 28

Yes. But that was only 1.25-2.5 weeks of work per vehicle, and two months have elapsed since. That should not be an issue at this point.

And elsewhere they’ve advertised that they have dozens of Bombardier employees on site, so it’s reasonable to assume they have all 4 maintenance bays in use for this work if needed.

But really all this speculation is pointless. The real problem is the veil of secrecy. Somebody should try asking on Twitter why those lights are still bagged. Anybody want to offer odds on the various outcomes after 2 weeks:

a) no response
b) non-responsive response (e.g. “Thanks for reaching out…”)
c) actual response

I’d give 100:1 on that last one!
Saw 506 southbound at Ontario street at about 11AM. It would have to pass Madison and Cameron in that case, so the water main issue can't be a problem.
Nothing was announced at this morning's P&W Committee meeting today, apparently.
(04-30-2019, 12:47 PM)Acitta Wrote: Nothing was announced at this morning's P&W Committee meeting today, apparently.

I've been checking for agenda updates all day and also saw nothing. Looks like we're waiting until the May 8 general council meeting.
(04-30-2019, 09:53 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 09:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes. But that was only 1.25-2.5 weeks of work per vehicle, and two months have elapsed since. That should not be an issue at this point.

And elsewhere they’ve advertised that they have dozens of Bombardier employees on site, so it’s reasonable to assume they have all 4 maintenance bays in use for this work if needed.

But really all this speculation is pointless. The real problem is the veil of secrecy. Somebody should try asking on Twitter why those lights are still bagged. Anybody want to offer odds on the various outcomes after 2 weeks:

a) no response
b) non-responsive response (e.g. “Thanks for reaching out…”)
c) actual response

I’d give 100:1 on that last one!

Testing was likely restricted from that section due to the watermain break and the need for cleaning and inspection due to the muddy flood. As for the rest of the line: they are doing some sort of testing between Mill and Fairway today. Whether that includes LRVs or not I'm not aware of at the moment. Edit: There is, in fact, an LRV conducting signals and Train-to-Wayside Communications testing between Mill and Fairway Station

(04-30-2019, 12:47 PM)Acitta Wrote: Nothing was announced at this morning's P&W Committee meeting today, apparently.

So we've had a delay to the date that they would announce the date. How far down this rabbit hole can we go...will they be cagey on talking about when they might talk about the launch date?

*sigh*....
(04-30-2019, 12:17 PM)KevinL Wrote: Saw 506 southbound at Ontario street at about 11AM. It would have to pass Madison and Cameron in that case, so the water main issue can't be a problem.

When I was looking at the spill, it didn't appear to reach the tracks, so doubtful it was ever an issue. But something is up for sure.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »