Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(04-20-2015, 11:19 PM)Shawn Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 11:30 PM)KevinL Wrote: Wow! The things you never knew you didn't know...

I thought it was a KMart, not a Woolco. 

It was a K-Mart before Lulu's, yes.  Might have been a Woolco even before that, don't know.

(04-21-2015, 12:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-20-2015, 11:19 PM)Shawn Wrote: I thought it was a KMart, not a Woolco. 
It was a K-Mart before Lulu's, yes.  Might have been a Woolco even before that, don't know.

I don't recall any Woolcos in K-W. There was one in London. Anyone remember Sayvette? Wink

In the same vein, the original anchor store in Waterloo Square mall was K-Mart. And those who think it couldn't have gotten any worse than that, when K-Mart went bust the space became a Liquidation World.  Huh

Yup, right in the middle of Uptown.
(04-21-2015, 01:34 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 12:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It was a K-Mart before Lulu's, yes.  Might have been a Woolco even before that, don't know.

I don't recall any Woolcos in K-W. There was one in London. Anyone remember Sayvette? Wink

In the same vein, the original anchor store in Waterloo Square mall was K-Mart. And those who think it couldn't have gotten any worse than that, when K-Mart went bust the space became a Liquidation World.  Huh

Yup, right in the middle of Uptown

Fairview Mall had a Woolco before Walmart came to Canada and took over the location.   I remember the name Sayvette, but for the life of me can't think of a location where I would have seen it.
(04-21-2015, 01:45 PM)Shawn Wrote: Fairview Mall had a Woolco before Walmart came to Canada and took over the location.

Yes, of course. I must have been having a senior's moment because I used to shop there fairly regularly. 

Quote:I remember the name Sayvette, but for the life of me can't think of a location where I would have seen it.

I can't remember if there were any in K-W but there was one in London.
(04-21-2015, 01:56 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 01:45 PM)Shawn Wrote: Fairview Mall had a Woolco before Walmart came to Canada and took over the location.

Yes, of course. I must have been having a senior's moment because I used to shop there fairly regularly. 

Quote:I remember the name Sayvette, but for the life of me can't think of a location where I would have seen it.

There used to be a Sayvette in the Sun Life office building at Westmount Place. Before Sun Life, it was Eatons, and before that, Sayvette.

Does anyone else remember?
(04-21-2015, 05:31 PM)The85 Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 01:56 PM)ookpik Wrote: Yes, of course. I must have been having a senior's moment because I used to shop there fairly regularly. 

There used to be a Sayvette in the Sun Life office building at Westmount Place. Before Sun Life, it was Eatons, and before that, Sayvette.

I thought it was a Robinsons.  I have no memory of it being a Sayvette.
(04-21-2015, 05:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 05:31 PM)The85 Wrote: There used to be a Sayvette in the Sun Life office building at Westmount Place. Before Sun Life, it was Eatons, and before that, Sayvette.

I thought it was a Robinsons.  I have no memory of it being a Sayvette.

The only Robinson's I remember was in Downtown Kitchener (now Manulife).  Also remember a Woolco on Main St in Cambridge (Now Cornerstone)

The two Robinsons locations in Waterloo Region were at the King Centre (as mentioned above) in Downtown Kitchener and at Conestoga Mall (now the Bay).
(04-21-2015, 05:31 PM)The85 Wrote: There used to be a Sayvette in the Sun Life office building at Westmount Place. Before Sun Life, it was Eatons, and before that, Sayvette.

The Sayvette wikipedia page lists Westmount plaza as one of their locations. It closed in 1977 when Sayvette suspended all operations. The book "Eaton's: The Trans-Canada Store" by Bruce Kopytek says that Eatons took over the space and opened the store a year later in 1978.
There is going to be a Major retail loss in Downtown Kitchener, 7 Eleven at (King and Wellington) is closing this Sunday. Because of the "Ion construction" I doubt that's the reason though, they have been closing a lot of locations in Ontario in the past few years.
(04-22-2015, 11:29 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: There is going to be a Major retail loss in Downtown Kitchener, 7 Eleven at (King and Wellington) is closing this Sunday. Because of the "Ion construction" I doubt that's the reason though, they have been closing a lot of locations in Ontario in the past few years.

There are a TON of potential redevelopment sites along that stretch of King st, and with the mixed used zoning already in place, things are set up nicely.
(04-23-2015, 07:01 AM)Spokes Wrote: There are a TON of potential redevelopment sites along that stretch of King st, and with the mixed used zoning already in place, things are set up nicely.

A proposal for redevelopment was submitted for the lot on the east corner of King/Wellington, but hasn't had news in a while. The 7/11 lot would arguably be even better for something new.

You're right that there are a lot of good sites for redevelopment along this stretch, and hopefully some start happening soon. In the meantime, TMKM94 is right that this is a big loss for the area.
Yes the loss of that 7-11 will be a huge loss for junk food, cigarette and lottery ticket buyers in the area Wink

What about the McD's a few steps away? Surely it's at least as affected by ION construction. That McD's has been a rather dingy, world-weary location for years. Does McD's plan to tear it down and rebuild it into something more modern?

(04-23-2015, 08:37 AM)ookpik Wrote: Yes the loss of that 7-11 will be a huge loss for junk food, cigarette and lottery ticket buyers in the area Wink

What about the McD's a few steps away? Surely it's at least as affected by ION construction. That McD's has been a rather dingy, world-weary location for years. Does McD's plan to tear it down and rebuild it into something more modern?

Heh. I don't frequent convenience stores much either (because I can't afford them), but they're a good spot for a neighbourhood to have- for newspapers, coffee, and things like that. We still have Manny Mart right around the corner from this 7/11.

I've wondered about that McDonald's. There aren't many left that haven't been redone lately, and I don't know why this one hasn't been given a similar renovation.
Maybe it's a franchise instead of a corporate store? I dunno if McD's does franchises or not... it's kind of a relic considering the shift they've done to look more refined and classy, for lack of a better word.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »