Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Market Square
The red brick is mid 70s, the glass and green trim mid 80s.

(06-02-2019, 02:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 01:29 PM)jeffster Wrote: Hmmm...not sure that I am in love with what they did there. But still better than the current "look", which is what, 30 years old?

It opened in 1973, if I recall correctly, 46 years ago. But if you look at the "before" and "after" photos on the first page of this thread, they have added much glass since then so it isn't really the 1970s look any more.

It expect that it would be possible to get rid of the brick cladding altogether (assuming there is not a structural wall behind it) and have more glass to make a more pleasant interior space. But that's not a six-month project, since likely no one has yet put pen to paper on any designs.

Yeah, I meant the reno's, which I believe was done mid 1980's, though I can't remember. To be honest, that 70's look is better than the 80's look, IMHO. But perhaps all it needs is a colour change and some TLC.
Conestoga college!!! Business school heard a number of 3k students which very high. I'm happy with this. An anchor tenant - the food spots will return. Coffee will return. DTk condos accross the street with LRT bringing students in to this commuter school. If there were any doubts about getting one's condo at DTK condos onto rent or demand in general, those doubts are evaporated (that being said students could place market pressure for lower rents!)

All will be Good in the slumbucket side of DTK.
It's an awesome development, for Market Square in particular and downtown generally. I hadn't heard the "three thousand students" bit. That's just great for downtown- students support the kinds of amenities that everyone can then enjoy, and the momentum further builds in the virtuous cycle that's been going on downtown.

I hadn't thought about the rental condo market, but you're right. I've figured that we'll will wake up any day now and learn that it's been over-saturated downtown, but three thousand students arriving next year, even if only a relatively small proportion rent nearby, dispels that notion.
It won't be 3000, at least not in the first year. They plan for 1000 in 2020, and have ambitions for 2000.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't recall what if any student number I had read in articles about it- the three thousand figure in the comment above was the first I'd heard.
(06-06-2019, 08:23 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Conestoga college!!! Business school  heard a number of 3k students which very high. I'm happy with this. An anchor tenant - the food spots will return. Coffee will return. DTk condos accross the street with LRT bringing students in to this commuter school. If there were any doubts about getting one's condo at DTK condos onto rent or demand in general, those doubts are evaporated (that being said students could place market pressure for lower rents!)

All will be Good in the slumbucket side of DTK.

I think that your descriptive language might be a bit strong.  I frequent that area often to use services and restaurants. In particular, the Market.  I can advise that I never feel unsafe, nor do I feel the area os a Slumbucket.  I see a very diverse area with lots to offer.  Go to any decent city and you will find these types of areas.  It is called culture.  Maybe walk around and see everything that is offered for yourself and you will view the area through a different lens.

I was going to say. Anyone who thinks the East End is a slum needs to travel more.
I thought it was being used ironically, since all too many people in the Region do seem to feel that way about that part of downtown.
@MidTowner Wink

Didn't realize that word would hit such a chord! As someone who has gone to school relatively close to DTK - Cameron Heights, and frequented the slumbucket side almost daily - for 4 glorious years, worked in DTK for well over 5 years now and have a personal stake in the area, walking the streets almost daily, I consider myself well versed Wink. The Kitchener Market was a nice bump in the right direction (more recent) and the DTK condos, Drewo (?) project across from Cameron Heights and this announcement will do wonders, but please, at least up-to-this-point, don't kid yourself. I think you will agree, at the least, it has been a massive, unadulterated eye sore.
(06-06-2019, 08:42 AM)KevinL Wrote: It won't be 3000, at least not in the first year. They plan for 1000 in 2020, and have ambitions for 2000.

Even 1000 students (to start) will be great. Not all of them will live downtown, but many will. The new rental housing (Drewlo, Market Flats, Madison Ave mid-rise) will be very helpful, although it will lag the arrival of the students.

And even more students will frequent the DTK establishments: this will help fill in some of the empty space not only in Market Square, but also on Scott St and on King St between Scott St and Cedar St.
How much resto/other business do you expect this news to spur? I know of at least one restaurant that moved into Market Sq (Elevenses) but apparently this was planned well before any CC announcement. Still, strategic positioning.
Immediately? None. But once the students start arriving, there will be more customers, both for existing restaurants like Izna, Sahar, MCK and Rainbow, and new ones either inside our outside Market Square.

(06-06-2019, 11:31 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 08:42 AM)KevinL Wrote: It won't be 3000, at least not in the first year. They plan for 1000 in 2020, and have ambitions for 2000.

Even 1000 students (to start) will be great. Not all of them will live downtown, but many will. The new rental housing (Drewlo, Market Flats, Madison Ave mid-rise) will be very helpful, although it will lag the arrival of the students.

And even more students will frequent the DTK establishments: this will help fill in some of the empty space not only in Market Square, but also on Scott St and on King St between Scott St and Cedar St.

This is where I'm at.  While I'd love 3000 to start,1000 is great too.  It's going to help tremendously.  Plus I think we'll see the number of students rise annually, so it might not take too long to get to 3000
I bet McDonald's and Subway are wishing they stayed open at Market Square, or maybe they will reopen at Some point.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »