Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
Is it possible there's a bubble in downtown Kitchener, and landlords are increasing rents out of proportion to any real/likely increases in demand, just because other landlords are doing it?

Tepperman's, a Windsor-based furniture/appliances/electronics retailer, will be building a 50,000sqft outlet at Fisher-Hallman and Huron Rd (!). Store, to open in early 2016, will employ 60 people.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5556...kitchener/
There is going to be a Major retail loss in Downtown Kitchener, 7 Eleven at (King and Wellington) is closing this Sunday. Because of the "Ion construction" I doubt that's the reason though, they have been closing a lot of locations in Ontario in the past few years.
It doesn't surprise me. I travel to Europe often where 7 Eleven is generally thriving. The stores are well stocked, containing a wide range of foods, fresh fruits, high quality sandwiches and coffees, and then I come here to a 7-Eleven where they stock the worlds largest collection of potato chips and fried foods.... and for some funny reason the stores do not do so well.
(04-22-2015, 11:40 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: It doesn't surprise me. I travel to Europe often where 7 Eleven is generally thriving. The stores are well stocked, containing a wide range of foods, fresh fruits, high quality sandwiches and coffees, and then I come here to a 7-Eleven where they stock the worlds largest collection of potato chips and fried foods.... and for some funny reason the stores do not do so well.

Asia too. Well, maybe not so much about the fresh fruits in 7 Eleven in Asia, but certainly more food than in North America.
From what I can tell 7-11 in Europe operates only in Scandanavia. But in the rest of Europe there are numerous similar chains that operate lots of smaller "convenience" stores that likewise carry fresh fruits, vegetables, meat/fish, bakery, etc.

The grocery shopping model differs from North America in that people there tend to shop regularly, perhaps even daily, for groceries. Freshness is important to them. The stores are common in neighbourhoods throughout larger cities as well as in small towns and villages. They're within easy walking distance for most people. Although small these stores stock an impressive selection of fresh foods.

This contrasts with here where people drive considerable distances to stock up once a week with a lot of processed foods. They patronize convenience stores only when they run out of staples.

Of course this is a generalization. Many Europeans now drive to hypermarkets once a week to stock up. And some Canadians still regularly patronize smaller stores that offer fresh food. Hopefully the LRT will encourage more smaller stores and more frequent purchases of fresher food rather than perpetuate 7-11's NA model.
They are running tests in Germany and France. I saw stores in train stations.

Canadian cities used to have small general stores on every block. (I can think of at least two that were a block from each other near Victoria and Park, and another that was at Joseph and Water). Hopefully in time, more people nearby will encourage variety stores with high enough traffic to encourage fast enough product turnover to justify bringing in perishables.
Once density is there a corner store can justify a larger selection. The best example of this are the two convenience stores in the University Plaza which carry a larger than usual variety of items.
Out of the Past, at 10 King St E, has closed.

Across the street, the interior of the former TBS/Woolworths has been stripped out, but there seems no sign yet of renovation work for the new Dollar Tree.
The Coffee Time at Forest Glen Plaza is no more.

[Image: 20150430_093203.jpg]

I've heard nothing about the building's future, but the bus drivers are certainly unhappy to lose a convenient caffeine source.
(04-26-2015, 04:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Out of the Past, at 10 King St E, has closed.

Across the street, the interior of the former TBS/Woolworths has been stripped out, but there seems no sign yet of renovation work for the new Dollar Tree.

The roof is getting a fresh coat of tar over the last couple of days, the whole block smells like it... and I gotta admit I kinda like the smell.
(04-30-2015, 09:21 PM)KevinL Wrote: The Coffee Time at Forest Glen Plaza is no more.

[Image: 20150430_093203.jpg]

I've heard nothing about the building's future, but the bus drivers are certainly unhappy to lose a convenient caffeine source.

I wonder if this is connected to the fact that the Coffee Time at Hazel St and Albert St in Waterloo is also closed and being turned into something else.  I think it was a sandwich or sub place, but it wasn't a name that I recognized as I drove by.

This would be at least the third local location that has closed recently.

(04-30-2015, 10:12 PM)clasher Wrote:
(04-26-2015, 04:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Out of the Past, at 10 King St E, has closed.

The roof is getting a fresh coat of tar over the last couple of days, the whole block smells like it... and I gotta admit I kinda like the smell.

I thought I smelled tar the other day and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. 
Just my guess but I could see Harvey's moving there from there current unit, if not probably a Tim Hortons or Starbucks,
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »