Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit

(07-04-2019, 01:22 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I likewise agreed with the title but not much else. We'll see if it's a success at year four and year ten. But it is a success on day one- without having had the ability to carry passengers before operating, it has nevertheless attracted development, which is a secondary objective.

It's hard not to be a bit offended when people suggest that only students use transit in Waterloo Region. I don't understand people's insistence that this is the case. Plenty of us use it for all kinds of different reasons, and not "reluctantly."
You nailed it.  It is this attitude which creates a stigma for transit users.  I wish I could use it more...
(07-04-2019, 01:34 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 01:22 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I likewise agreed with the title but not much else. We'll see if it's a success at year four and year ten. But it is a success on day one- without having had the ability to carry passengers before operating, it has nevertheless attracted development, which is a secondary objective.

It's hard not to be a bit offended when people suggest that only students use transit in Waterloo Region. I don't understand people's insistence that this is the case. Plenty of us use it for all kinds of different reasons, and not "reluctantly."
You nailed it.  It is this attitude which creates a stigma for transit users.  I wish I could use it more...

Ok, so I'll put it out there: even it was semi-true, isn't that the point? Why does it matter who uses it? So what if it was 75% student? They be people too!

That said, I truly believe that the Ion is going to be a game changer for the region, much like the 401 was a game changer for Ontario, and the Expressway a game changer for K-W.

Having gone onto the Ion, I feel much more inclined to ride it again, if for anything a day trip. I can see it being a game changer for people that decide to live and work close to the Ion route, and ditch the car entirely, a much better ride than the bus, and I am glad we never to BRT, even if it was similar to what Ottawa had.
My family walked from our home to the nearest 204 stop, went downtown, transferred to Ion, and then had a picnic lunch in Waterloo Park on Monday. We have a car and could have driven there in a fraction of the time, but as an outing, it was fun and environmentally sustainable.
We plan on doing it again, even now that it's no longer free.

This is the type of use that I can see others who are not transit users doing. It's now part of the adventure instead of just a means to get somewhere.
(07-04-2019, 09:16 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 01:34 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: You nailed it.  It is this attitude which creates a stigma for transit users.  I wish I could use it more...

Ok, so I'll put it out there: even it was semi-true, isn't that the point? Why does it matter who uses it? So what if it was 75% student? They be people too!

It matters to the people who say it because they believe students don't pay any taxes and are getting a massive free ride from actual taxpayers. Just like everyone who claims cyclists don't pay for roads but drivers pay some mysterious "road tax" that completely covers the cost of the infrastructure. A lot of the general public is profoundly ignorant about this sort of thing and doesn't want to hear anything that doesn't confirm their preconceived notions about all the members of society they look down on.
I had my first encounter with a fare inspector on my way home. He just walked up and asked for the proof of fare. No one gave them any grief. I just handed my easygo card, they tapped on some tablet thingy and handed it back.
(07-04-2019, 10:54 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 09:16 PM)jeffster Wrote: Ok, so I'll put it out there: even it was semi-true, isn't that the point? Why does it matter who uses it? So what if it was 75% student? They be people too!

It matters to the people who say it because they believe students don't pay any taxes and are getting a massive free ride from actual taxpayers. Just like everyone who claims cyclists don't pay for roads but drivers pay some mysterious "road tax" that completely covers the cost of the infrastructure. A lot of the general public is profoundly ignorant about this sort of thing and doesn't want to hear anything that doesn't confirm their preconceived notions about all the members of society they look down on.

The way I see it is that these students, especially any that are in high school and close to the line (Cameron Heights, St. Mary's, KCI -- maybe to a lesser extent WCI) will benefit greatly using the Ion, and many will make decisions on where to live and work based on their experience, which I'd assume would be fairly positive. As for University and College kids, their positive experience will also be huge factors for them. It is sad, though, that many can't see that.

What happened to the documentary?
jeffster Wrote:
Rainrider22 Wrote:You nailed it.  It is this attitude which creates a stigma for transit users.  I wish I could use it more...

The line from the article was "given the great reluctance of anyone other than students to ride the existing transit system." That suggests both that the lion's share of ridership is students (it's a little less than half), and that the small relative number of other people who use it do so "reluctantly." This all has to do with the arguments about "choice" ridership, and to what extent our transit system should be lifeline.

I'll answer your question "Why does it matter who uses it?" It matters because different people want different types of service. If you buy the author's argument and believe ridership is 75% student (it's not), and that the remainder of the people are on there because they have little choice, then you'll support service a certain way. And that would make sense, if it were true. That matters to me, because I want to take transit, I want good transit service, I'm a commuter not a student, and I don't live near the Universities.
(07-05-2019, 04:09 AM)D40LF Wrote: What happened to the documentary?

It was screened at KPL the other night with a second screening for tomorrow.
(07-05-2019, 07:31 AM)timio Wrote:
(07-05-2019, 04:09 AM)D40LF Wrote: What happened to the documentary?

It was screened at KPL the other night with a second screening for tomorrow.
 It was really well done. Worth seeing. Here is the information. Free Flicks: Growing Up: The Story of ION Light Rail in Waterloo Region
It will uploaded to YouTube sometime in the future, they said at the first screening.
(07-05-2019, 07:13 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I'll answer your question "Why does it matter who uses it?" It matters because different people want different types of service. If you buy the author's argument and believe ridership is 75% student (it's not), and that the remainder of the people are on there because they have little choice, then you'll support service a certain way. And that would make sense, if it were true. That matters to me, because I want to take transit, I want good transit service, I'm a commuter not a student, and I don't live near the Universities.

Very well said.

I have a car which I love, but feel more and more guilty about driving because it's a gas guzzling (literally) sports car. Replacing my 50 km daily round-trip with bike + ION costs less than the gas I burn on the same trip and makes my car last longer. I've thought about going electric or hybrid, but the only hybrid that appeals to me is the Chevy Volt which is no longer made (and Consumer Reports documents a lot of issues with its comfort electronics like the radio, adaptive cruise, etc.) while the only electric that appeals to me is a Tesla which is out of my price range (when I bought the sports car I had a one bedroom condo, not a house in the burbs). The cheaper electric cars either have limited range (argh!) or uber-wonky styling (why??!!) and are not for me. (I've always felt that if you don't love your car then you're driving the wrong car, and that's a feeling I don't think I can overcome.)

I'm a tech worker in the upper middle class bracket and ION fits me great, not reluctantly, but enthusiastically.
Will the outdoor temperature have any affect on the operation of the ION?   I assume since they are used all over the world in various climates there is no issue.   Would the tracks be heated during the winter?    I think more of an issue would be the ticket kiosk's and scanners.   We are getting a lot more freezing rain in the winter.

(07-03-2019, 04:50 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 02:50 PM)KevinT Wrote: it made me wonder why on earth the podiums don't make a sound? A simple mid-pitch Bing for a valid tap and low pitched Brrrrrrt! for an invalid one would be extremely helpful for both the visually impaired and the traveller on the go. It seems weird for the podiums to be completely silent. I also found the screens hard to see without shading them with my hand, adding even more value proposition to combining the display with sound.

Happy to report that Canard raised the issue with them on twitter and the response was favourable:

Again regarding the sounds, yesterday I was looking at the transaction history on my EasyGO card and my most recent trip was there but the the one from the night before was missing. On my way home last night I believe I figured out why: I tapped on the podium at R&T Park and heard the (very quiet) bing, but when I looked at the screen it showed that my card was valid and displayed the balance but had not actually deducted a fare. I had to tap it again (and look at the screen again) to see that a fare was deducted.

I think what happened was that someone ahead of me had pushed a button on the podium, and that button push either had no timeout or an extremely long one. So even though I didn't see anyone near the podium before I came along, their button push modified my first tap into a card status check rather than a fare charge / transfer. Even if the bing had been louder, it would not have been sufficient to convey that a valid fare was deducted from my card.

They really need to have some unambiguous sounds, and I really need to compile all of my feedback/suggestions into a well written letter...
rickhd Wrote:Will the outdoor temperature have any affect on the operation of the ION?   I assume since they are used all over the world in various climates there is no issue.   Would the tracks be heated during the winter?    I think more of an issue would be the ticket kiosk's and scanners.   We are getting a lot more freezing rain in the winter.

Extreme heat should not have too many issues, beyond the possibility of track kinks (but that generally affects bigger railroads like GO). Tracks don't need to be heated fully; there are switch heaters in place. The ticketing machinery, yes, we'll have to see how that does.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »