Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Crummy timing for that. I'm curious how service at rush hour will be handled.

Could have been worse....could have hit a pedestrian.
(07-17-2019, 08:41 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Crummy timing for that. I'm curious how service at rush hour will be handled.

Indeed!

I'm hoping its minor enough that they can clear it within say 20-30 minutes, realistically, I wish they had even stronger protocols for that...like, the driver can check the vehicle and ensure damage is minor enough for it to continue its route and go out of service at Fairway, but I'm guessing that staff will have to come from the maintenance facility and take it out of service right away, transfer everyone to buses, and proceed that way.
Someone did appear to have left in an ambulance... hopefully it's not too serious.
(07-17-2019, 09:00 AM)JoeKW Wrote: Someone did appear to have left in an ambulance... hopefully it's not too serious.

From the radio talk it sounds may have been an LRV passenger.  They just said the car occupants were cleared by EMS and are talking to police.
(07-17-2019, 09:00 AM)JoeKW Wrote: Someone did appear to have left in an ambulance... hopefully it's not too serious.

Oh dear, hopefully it was not serious. It's possible they were on the train. I didn't see anyone who appeared to be injured outside the train, the two people (I presume one was the driver of the car on the left), appeared uninjured, were walking around and inspecting the vehicle.  The one on the right appeared uninvolved.

This still makes me angry though. I live by the tracks a block from this collision, the train is silent, I can't hear it go by, except for the frequent honking at drivers cutting it off.  The LRVs have cameras, why have the police not been following up with every single driver who cuts off the train before now. But we have SUVs driving up pedestrian trails for safety.

It's not about safety.
danbrotherston Wrote:Oh dear, hopefully it was not serious. It's possible they were on the train. I didn't see anyone who appeared to be injured outside the train, the two people (I presume one was the driver of the car on the left), appeared uninjured, were walking around and inspecting the vehicle.  The one on the right appeared uninvolved.

This still makes me angry though. I live by the tracks a block from this collision, the train is silent, I can't hear it go by, except for the frequent honking at drivers cutting it off.  The LRVs have cameras, why have the police not been following up with every single driver who cuts off the train before now. But we have SUVs driving up pedestrian trails for safety.

It's not about safety.

That's a really good point. On my ride home yesterday, there were two near-misses when motorists cut off the train, pretty clearly just not looking. It was sheer luck that a collision wasn't the result. I have observed a number of others.

The impact of each collision is fairly large- tens of thousands in damage, lost time, and in the case of today's, apparently medical costs- the case would be strong for the police to go knock on doors and let them know how dangerous their driving was.

I was just thinking yesterday that Ion seemed to have gone a week without a car accident. I should have known it wouldn't last.
Apparently fare inspectors haven't actually been enforcing proof of payment yet, but that's about to change. Good thing the payment system has no issues  Rolleyes

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/950...assengers/
WRPS are saying the collision this morning didn't actually involve the train, and the driver somehow lost control and smashed in the rear quarter all by themselves.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...on-1588963
Okay, this is mega bizarre!

It is now being claimed that the LRV was not involved in the collision.  I have photographs proving otherwise, I believe:

Here you can clearly see scratches on the right front bumper of the train.  I can believe that these are from an earlier collision and the bumper was left as it is only cosmetic damage.

However, you can also CLEARLY see that the front centre bumper panel is dislodged. Is the region actually claiming that the train was operated in that state?  That seems highly unlikely.  I have never seen it before.

Further, the vehicle on the left has substantial damage to it's right rear quarter panel.  There is nothing else nearby that could possibly have caused that damage.

I cannot comprehend why this report is being given and it must be in error.

How is our reporting this bad, or is the region just confused.....
(07-17-2019, 12:44 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Okay, this is mega bizarre!

It is now being claimed that the LRV was not involved in the collision.  I have photographs proving otherwise, I believe:

Here you can clearly see scratches on the right front bumper of the train.  I can believe that these are from an earlier collision and the bumper was left as it is only cosmetic damage.

However, you can also CLEARLY see that the front centre bumper panel is dislodged. Is the region actually claiming that the train was operated in that state?  That seems highly unlikely.  I have never seen it before.

Further, the vehicle on the left has substantial damage to it's right rear quarter panel.  There is nothing else nearby that could possibly have caused that damage.

I cannot comprehend why this report is being given and it must be in error.

How is our reporting this bad, or is the region just confused.....

WRPS wouldn't claim anything unless it had evidence to support the claim. Every LRV has cameras that face out of the cab. Keolis can provide that footage to police pretty quickly.
The report doesn't seem to be up on WRPS' site. It's very possible that a cop made an offhand remark to the Kitchener Post journalist that he then reported on.

If the train didn't hit the car, what the heck did the car hit?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »