Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
And now we dig!

No hole yet, but there is definitely progress

The demolition seems to be going very slowly.
(08-13-2019, 10:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The demolition seems to be going very slowly.

I have high hopes that it will be done before my children's grandchildren retire.
(08-14-2019, 05:52 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 10:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The demolition seems to be going very slowly.

I have high hopes that it will be done before my children's grandchildren retire.

I hope they are not planning for early retirement!
Hahaha
(08-14-2019, 06:05 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 05:52 PM)jeffster Wrote: I have high hopes that it will be done before my children's grandchildren retire.

I hope they are not planning for early retirement!

Well played!

The convenience store is completely gone now
(08-19-2019, 04:58 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: The convenience store is completely gone now

Only a bit of rubble to remove before they start to excavate.

Hate to sound crass, but good riddance
(08-20-2019, 06:36 PM)Spokes Wrote: Hate to sound crass, but good riddance

It's OK - we're all thinking it!  Smile
I was thinking the opposite. I've gone in there a few times to get passport and visa photos done; the owner is a very nice guy. He's been there for a long time.
(08-21-2019, 07:10 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I was thinking the opposite. I've gone in there a few times to get passport and visa photos done; the owner is a very nice guy. He's been there for a long time.

The couple that owned the store were super friendly. The last week they were open I stopped in to say bye and they forced me to take a bunch free stuff just so they wouldn't have to deal with unsold items. The store itself had been up for sale for quite some time, so I think in the end it actually work out well for them and the were able to retire.

(08-21-2019, 07:47 AM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 07:10 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I was thinking the opposite. I've gone in there a few times to get passport and visa photos done; the owner is a very nice guy. He's been there for a long time.

The couple that owned the store were super friendly. The last week they were open I stopped in to say bye and they forced me to take a bunch free stuff just so they wouldn't have to deal with unsold items. The store itself had been up for sale for quite some time, so I think in the end it actually work out well for them and the were able to retire.
Thank you for the update on this story.  It is nice to hear more intimate and personal details on these issues.  All too often it is easy for us all to think good riddence of a perceived eye sore  when we have no attachment.  These small businesses are peoples livelihood and when we force them out for improved buildings and/or images, there is a profound effect on many people.  I am reminded of the barbers getting kicked out of the Walper Hotel.  They are still awaiting their new location to be finished.  I have to have my hair cut in the kitchen of one of the barbers right now so I can help him out to keep earning money in interim. 

I admit that I was happy to see this old building torn down however, I am now reflecting differently and I am happy to hear that in the end, it likely worked out for this couple who owned it.  Just some food for thought !!!
Yes, thanks for all of the details we usually wouldn't know

Now I feel like a jerk.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »