Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
(08-16-2019, 09:41 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Thanks goggolor! I had seen information on their site contradicting the rates that were in that Laurier press release, thanks for the fulsome info. Too bad there's no map of the hubs or service area available.

There is a map in the app. I also posted a screenshot in the bike sharing thread a while back.

In case anyone was curious how close to the road/parking the bollard has been placed, the answer is, as close to the bike lane as is reasonably possible. I suspect they couldn't put them on the curb because the surface isn't level, and possibly there are reasons it couldn't go on the edge of the concrete. But my guess is its simply the usual regional engineers policy of "give cars the maximum possible space and affordance in all circumstances"...being implemented in the pedestrian and bike dominated location of uptown.

It's not the end of the world, but it's small things like this that show just where the minds of our engineers are.  And council, even those pro-bike individuals, seem blind to it.
Hmm, guess I'm blind then. I have no issue with the placement of those bollards.

On another note, the Erbsville Rd bollards had been converted to yellow when I passed by last Friday.
I noticed the bollards on King the other day, and I agree that the placement looks fine.
I didn't say they were a problem, in fact, I pretty much said the opposite.

But the point remains, they are positioned as close to the bike lane as possible, as opposed to closer to the road. This type of thinking is the problem in the region when it comes to bike infra, even if isn't a problem in *this* instance.
It's quibbling over a few inches, but I can't really see any reason why the bollards couldn't have been placed in the band between the outside of the bike lane line and the start of the curb.
(08-21-2019, 11:41 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I didn't say they were a problem, in fact, I pretty much said the opposite.

But the point remains, they are positioned as close to the bike lane as possible, as opposed to closer to the road. This type of thinking is the problem in the region when it comes to bike infra, even if isn't a problem in *this* instance.
But isn’t that a problem then? WRC

(08-21-2019, 03:37 PM)creative Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 11:41 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I didn't say they were a problem, in fact, I pretty much said the opposite.

But isn’t that a problem then? WRC

WRC?

Not in this instance with these bollards in this bike lane.  The lane is fairly wide and parking drivers probably won't encroach in the bike lane too much even with the pole so far away.  It could have been better, but I doubt the position of the bollards will be a major obstacle to the success of the lanes.

It is simply indicative of a general problem with staff in the region, our engineers prioritize cars in all possible ways in all contexts, in other situations it does matter a great deal, just see any place the regional staff have fought against safe crossings....safe bike lanes...hell, chosen roll curbs on this very bike lane and others.  These are all symptoms of the same problem.
They replaced the dangerous bollards in Erbsville... with exactly the same bollards in black and white. If I were riding a bike I would take the entire lane through that area.
(08-22-2019, 01:14 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: They replaced the dangerous bollards in Erbsville... with exactly the same bollards in black and white. If I were riding a bike I would take the entire lane through that area.

I'd have to look personally but as long as the bollard is visible, why is it a problem?  Should be enough space to go right of?
I've biked through there a few times, and there is enough space to go either left or right (taking the lane as you wish) of the bollard on Erbsville.
Great cartoon by the Redditor. Shameful display by council.

What the actual fuck. Most people on Young Street have driveways. Unbelievable, really.

I assume this means that the stoplight at young and weber won't be useful to anyone heading toward downtown now? That seemed like the best part of the contraflow lane... it's been easy to cross Weber this summer on account of the construction but it's normally a pain in the ass. I'm writing Debbie Chapman a scathing letter.
Can someone show a map with the 2 routes on it? I am unable to comprehend the change.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »