Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(04-30-2015, 04:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 03:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The excavation is (finally) in progress.  Judging by the size of the dig, the building footprint is not huge.  Has anyone seen any more information about this one?

It seemed odd to me that they excavated the site, basically a sand pit, and nothing has happened since.  A couple of good rain storms and the sand will wash back into the hole!  Other than a sign saying "Noir", I have seen no additional info about this project.

The building permit number is 12-175551 -- does that mean it was already issued in 2012?

(04-23-2015, 04:35 PM)kwliving Wrote: I won't miss the 7-11. I still miss the H. Salt Fish & Chips that was there before 7-11 though.

As a chain food restaurant, H. Salt Fish & Chips, IMO they had the best fish and chips availble at the time in the K-W area. I don't remember any long term places here in Waterloo Region like Penrose Fish and Chips was in Toronto. 
There's Caz's Fish and Chips at Eagle/Pinebush and Hespeler Road; they've been here at least as long as I've lived in Cambridge (since 1989).
Fish Hut on Driftwood in Kitchener ... although I think it had a different name (and different owners?) before?
I've been told that the fish and chips at Stonegate Bistro on Scott St are excellent, although not the usual battered, English-stlye fish.
I thought I had read that the land assembly bounded by King E, Ottawa, Charles and Borden had been bought up? Then I saw the buildings had for sale signs up.
The former Pro Awning building on Breithaupt St next to the Weber St underpass is undergoing a pretty substantial renovation. You can see the building from Weber St as you approach Victoria from Downtown. Anybody know what will be going in to that space?

Petty complaint du jour: The renovation of the former Braun building on King St E is continuing at a glacial pace. This week the upper half (only) of the side of the building facing the empty lot was painted beige. This covered the remains of the old painted "Braun Bicylces" sign that had long been on the building. Why (why, I ask, why?) would somebody do that rather than leaving the old sign, or even touching it up, to give the place a bit of character?
(05-09-2015, 01:45 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Petty complaint du jour:  The renovation of the former Braun building on King St E is continuing at a glacial pace.  This week the upper half (only) of the side of the building facing the empty lot was painted beige.  This covered the remains of the old painted "Braun Bicylces" sign that had long been on the building.  Why (why, I ask, why?) would somebody do that rather than leaving the old sign, or even touching it up, to give the place a bit of character?

So on Saturday, someone was working on the second floor of this building - the plywood covering the two upper windows had been taken out and you could see all the wooden rafters and what looked like new support beams.  The bottom half of the exterior brick wall was painted this past week.  Does anyone know what's happening with this one? 
(05-17-2015, 08:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-09-2015, 01:45 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Petty complaint du jour:  The renovation of the former Braun building on King St E is continuing at a glacial pace.  This week the upper half (only) of the side of the building facing the empty lot was painted beige.  This covered the remains of the old painted "Braun Bicylces" sign that had long been on the building.  Why (why, I ask, why?) would somebody do that rather than leaving the old sign, or even touching it up, to give the place a bit of character?

So on Saturday, someone was working on the second floor of this building - the plywood covering the two upper windows had been taken out and you could see all the wooden rafters and what looked like new support beams.  The bottom half of the exterior brick wall was painted this past week.  Does anyone know what's happening with this one? 

New windows went in on the second floor on Sunday - I find they are well suited to the building.

I wish that the metal siding on the building next door would come down as part of the renovation work going on there, but it seems unlikely.

[Image: jv6gsx.jpg]
(05-07-2015, 05:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The former Pro Awning building on Breithaupt St next to the Weber St underpass is undergoing a pretty substantial renovation. You can see the building from Weber St as you approach Victoria from Downtown. Anybody know what will be going in to that space?

The permit says that it is for the new offices of Robertson Simmons. Hopefully that means it will look really good.
(05-19-2015, 11:53 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 05:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The former Pro Awning building on Breithaupt St next to the Weber St underpass is undergoing a pretty substantial renovation.  You can see the building from Weber St as you approach Victoria from Downtown.  Anybody know what will be going in to that space?

The permit says that it is for the new offices of Robertson Simmons. Hopefully that means it will look really good.

An architectural firm, I believe.
(05-19-2015, 01:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-19-2015, 11:53 AM)MidTowner Wrote: The permit says that it is for the new offices of Robertson Simmons. Hopefully that means it will look really good.

An architectural firm, I believe.

Yes, you're right. Sorry: that's what I was referring to when I said that it hopefully means the work will look really good, since they're architects.

This is actually the firm working on Breithaupt Block. Right now they're just around the corner on Weber.

I am not sure if this is considered urban or suburban but has anyone heard any updates on the Rockway Centre? This was big news a couple years ago and I have not heard anything about it for a long while.
Renovation work started today on the exterior of the former Hive on King St E at Scott. I had hoped that the owner might shell out for brick cladding but it looks like it's going to be dark brown stucco.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »