Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(01-30-2020, 06:13 PM)PhilippAchtel Wrote: Retroactive pay means that a pay increase is applied as of a previous date and all hours worked up until the present are totaled at the new rate. A cheque is cut for the difference. It's not an uncommon clause.

Since this contract was ratified early in the year and half that time was a strike period, the amount won't be much.
Yes, it's pretty standard when a new contract is negotiated after the previous one has expired.

I knew in that breath it means retroactive to January 1. Was still curious as a standalone point if striking folks get their wages after the fact, for days they striked. Makes sense they don't though - it's the "sacrifice and risk they take exercising their labour right"
(01-30-2020, 04:28 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Ok...so...buses back in action tomorrow or Saturday?

Further, when it says retroactive, staff who were on strike get back pay for the past 11 days (incl. tomorrow assuming buses are not deployed)? Just curious - you always hear, "those striking are going without pay"...but I always wondered if they would get paid retroactively...
Retro means that any hours worked since the retro date will be credited with the difference on the new wage.  They don't get paid for the hours they were on strike.
Yep got it.

In other news, heard - again through grapevine ha - that the Regional Councillors are meeting today to discuss what action to take for the monthly pass holders, is this correct? What is the likelihood they provide JAN2020 monthly pass holders a full refund? Would there be any consideration beyond this? (Uber/Taxi reimbursement?)
(01-31-2020, 10:27 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Yep got it.

In other news, heard - again through grapevine ha - that the Regional Councillors are meeting today to discuss what action to take for the monthly pass holders, is this correct? What is the likelihood they provide JAN2020 monthly pass holders a full refund? Would there be any consideration beyond this? (Uber/Taxi reimbursement?)

I could see them offering a discount, but the idea of any refund for alternative transportation expenses would be a non-starter.
As a monthly pass holder I'd appreciate a credit on my account pro-rated to the number of days missed. I have a corporate pass, so $24.50 (76 dollars divided by 31 days times 10 missed days) feels very fair to me. Moreso, as always seems to be the case with GRT, I'd appreciate any kind of official communication on the matter.
I don't even know if I trust the fare card system to properly handle credits to my account. But I would like some acknowledgement and/or compensation.

How does one get a corporate membership? Your employer has to enroll with GRT or something? I would like to pay less if I can.

Compensating pro-rated for the days missed definitely misses the impact of the strike on riders/pass holders. It's not like a gym that needed to unexpectedly close for 10 days providing a pro-rated amount - while one can argue the health aspect/exercise is important, there are no other costs that have to be incurred (and by costs it's Uber/Taxi/paying a friend gas money) to get to a job you MUST show up to. I'm not asking for too much but I think it's fair to provide a full refund for JAN2020 pass holders which will assist in offsetting other costs.
(01-31-2020, 11:56 AM)Momo26 Wrote: How does one get a corporate membership? Your employer has to enroll with GRT or something? I would like to pay less if I can.

Yes, corporate memberships are part of the TravelWise program: https://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/corporate-pass.aspx

I strongly agree with your point about offsetting other costs. It is very well stated.
Looks like 'Free weekend service' and 'Refunds for January pass holders'. Looks like they are doing the right thing. Free weekend is not a big deal as there is obviously a major drop in weekend ridership including some buses not running entirely...bit more of a gimmick but okay.

https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo
(01-31-2020, 10:50 AM)timc Wrote: I don't even know if I trust the fare card system to properly handle credits to my account. But I would like some acknowledgement and/or compensation.

I'd almost be willing to be this is the major obstacle to actually offering refunds.
The free weekends in February is a bit of a weird offering. First, they say "10 days" which means they're also including the first of March.

Weekends free is nice and all, but they benefit people not strongly impacted (like myself), but also don't benefit people substantially impacted (those who have transit passes or who commute work days only), I'm sure (or I really hope they are watching) they see it as an experiment into ridership. I already pay the least for transit on the weekends because of the family pass, although it will be nice not to have to use our garbage unreliable fare machines to struggle to buy a pass. But none the less, I already hear people complaining about the free weekends, it just seems bizarre.

I would have suggested making one week free in Feb, and pro-rating Feb passes by a quarter, as fairer for people.
Free weekends is a gimmick and a bit of a slap-in-the-face to regular PASS HOLDERS who will, by-in-large, need to purchase a monthly pass for FEB as is (that includes weekends). As well as what danbrotherson states above, most pass holders are exclusively weekday commuters. Agreed, apply the 'free 10 days of riding (weekends in Feb + Fam Day)' to the first 10 weekdays of FEB then give the option to buy a pro-rated pass or pay-as-you go for the balance of FEB.

(01-31-2020, 11:56 AM)Momo26 Wrote: How does one get a corporate membership? Your employer has to enroll with GRT or something? I would like to pay less if I can.

Yes, and the payments come off your paycheque. In the past this also meant that the pass was perpetual, instead of being a new piece of paper every month.

I think I understand why they do it — they just get a big monthly amount from UW, for example, rather than a bunch of individual payments. However, from the rider point of view, it would be better to just have a discount for signing up for a monthly pass paid by PAD like ones utilities etc., without tying it to the employer.
There's a form for getting your pass discount: https://forms.grt.ca/January-monthly-pass-refund
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »