Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
258 Sunview Street | 12 fl | U/C
258 Sunview Street
250-266 Sunview Street, Waterloo

Architect:  ASP Design Group
Three residential buildings with ground floor retail, one 6 storeys, two 12 storeys.
330 residential units, 106 parking spots. Pathway connection to Albert Street.

Zone change application documents

[Image: BDc3F6o.png]

This one has a mix of unit types, from studios to 3 bedrooms. It also has a pathway toward Albert Street, which I don't entirely understand the motivation for.

I'm not a fan of the "let's pretend this building is actually multiple layered buildings" design, which I think works especially poorly given that both 12-storey buildings are to look exactly the same.

The Northdale plan got a lot of things right, but it did not set up the conditions for a street wall, which is too bad.
Looks like a hospital.
(05-20-2015, 09:49 PM)Drake Wrote: Looks like a hospital.

Not cheery enough to be a hospital. 
So it wasn't just me thinking it was a hospital. Maybe they bought the plans secondhand really cheap?
The potential is there. I like some of the lower level massing/tiers.

Taking a look at the urban design brief shows pictures of all three buildings (will post later on tonight) and they're THICK! While, as mpd618 said, a missed opportunity for a street wall is here, so too is an attempt at a wall of buildings 12 floors up.

And maybe some differentiation in design between buildings?
The Northdale plan called for a pedestrian extension of Balsam St through to Philip, which explains the path. Though, I don't have high hopes for the Philip/Lester portion.

(05-21-2015, 08:34 AM)Markster Wrote: The Northdale plan called for a pedestrian extension of Balsam St through to Philip, which explains the path. Though, I don't have high hopes for the Philip/Lester portion.

I seem to remember that had already been agreed to with a developer or am I confusing this with some other development?
Yes, I recall that now. It was at a not-terribly-optimal location of 275 Lester:
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4872...s-settled/
Better than nothing, I guess!
Given that these buildings are to have ground floor commercial space, more permeability makes sense to get better internal connectivity in the neighbourhood, even if doesn't result in any better pathway out of it.
(05-21-2015, 09:14 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Given that these buildings are to have ground floor commercial space, more permeability makes sense to get better internal connectivity in the neighbourhood, even if doesn't result in any better pathway out of it.

The plan calls for a 2.5m (8.2 feet) pathway would have been nice to see a 5m landscaped path ... oh well
(05-23-2015, 07:06 PM)MacBerry Wrote: The plan calls for a 2.5m (8.2 feet) pathway would have been nice to see a 5m landscaped path ... oh well

This building is asking for zoning changes before it can proceed, so it's not like the plans are set in stone. In fact, I hope the city pushes back on the plans at least design-wise.
The zoning changes were approved in exchange for the pedestrian path.

(05-24-2015, 05:46 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: The zoning changes were approved in exchange for the pedestrian path.

What? There was an informal public meeting on May 11 at which no decisions were made. (Minutes download link.) I do not believe there has been a formal public meeting at which the zoning change would have been able to be approved. If you have data to the contrary, please explain.
(05-24-2015, 02:50 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(05-24-2015, 05:46 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: The zoning changes were approved in exchange for the pedestrian path.

What? There was an informal public meeting on May 11 at which no decisions were made. (Minutes download link.) I do not believe there has been a formal public meeting at which the zoning change would have been able to be approved. If you have data to the contrary, please explain.

Formal public meeting date is still pending.
http://www.waterloo.ca/en/business/250-2...iew-st.asp
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »