Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(03-02-2020, 05:53 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote: Oh true, you're right.

Well there's a Shoppers on the other side of City Hall, so rule that out.  Hmmm other generic, unexciting retailers...

It's the "generic, unexciting" retailers that show how Downtown viability is growing, though, when they want to move in.
This is a great point. As much as I prefer to shop at independent retailers sometimes it is just not an option for the things I am looking for. I made note of this in the downtown shopping survey on EngageWR a couple months ago. I would love it if a few of the bigger retailers like sportschek, Canadian tire, winners, ebgames or bestbuy would set up shop in the downtown core.  Unfortunately I do not see this happening for a variety of reasons. Firstly there are not too many large retail spaces available. secondly the failure of both the king centre and market square have left a stain on the retail viability in the core. Lastly for decades the cities in this region have enticed those types retailers to set up shop in the mess that is Conestoga mall, fairway rd and heslper rd area through poor zoning and urban planning practices. There maybe ample parking at these locations, but traffic is a nightmare, so I stay away at all cost. Hopefully as kitcheners Downtown population continues to grow the retail options will grow with it.

(03-03-2020, 01:01 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 05:53 PM)Bytor Wrote: It's the "generic, unexciting" retailers that show how Downtown viability is growing, though, when they want to move in.

This is a great point. As much as I prefer to shop at independent retailers sometimes it is just not an option for the things I am looking for. I made note of this in the downtown shopping survey on EngageWR a couple months ago. I would love it if a few of the bigger retailers like sportschek, Canadian tire, winners, ebgames or bestbuy would set up shop in the downtown core.  Unfortunately I do not see this happening for a variety of reasons. Firstly there are not too many large retail spaces available. secondly the failure of both the king centre and market square have left a stain on the retail viability in the core. Lastly for decades the cities in this region have enticed those types retailers to set up shop in the mess that is Conestoga mall, fairway rd and heslper rd area through poor zoning and urban planning practices. There maybe ample parking at these locations, but traffic is a nightmare, so I stay away at all cost. Hopefully as kitcheners Downtown population continues to grow the retail options will grow with it.

King Centre's failure was more than 20 years ago, I doubt it will impact anyone. There are some larger spaces, such as the corner of King St W and Water St, and there will be more, although most will not be directly on King St, or they will be outside the Victoria St to Cameron St stretch. But even if a chain such as Best Buy or Sportchek were to open a DTK store, it would likely be an urban-format one with a smaller selection than they have in the suburban malls.

Better would be stores that can be smaller, and that don't duplicate the ones in the malls. Uniqlo, Muji, Mango, Flying Tiger, Patagonia etc.
(03-03-2020, 02:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: King Centre's failure was more than 20 years ago, I doubt it will impact anyone. There are some larger spaces, such as the corner of King St W and Water St, and there will be more, although most will not be directly on King St, or they will be outside the Victoria St to Cameron St stretch. But even if a chain such as Best Buy or Sportchek were to open a DTK store, it would likely be an urban-format one with a smaller selection than they have in the suburban malls.

Better would be stores that can be smaller, and that don't duplicate the ones in the malls. Uniqlo, Muji, Mango, Flying Tiger, Patagonia etc.

The Old Eaton building space is on the bigger side for sure, but has been available for close to a year now with no tenant.  I am fine with urban formats of those types of stores I actually prefer that style. Unfortunately I just don't see them looking at downtown Kitchener as a place to they want to expand. We can't even get a urban format grocery store. Would love for all those types of retailers to open up in downtown. I don't see a issue with duplication of store that exist in suburban malls. I think this is a big blind spot of retailers today. I think there are a combination of 3 types of shoppers, those who prefer Online, those who prefer downtown core and those who prefer suburban parking lot. I would shop at some of the "box type" stores if they existed in an urban format downtown, but i am not driving through the sea of traffic light on fairway to get to a sportchek. I prefer in person, but since moving back to the region from Toronto I have been shopping mostly online. 

Having said all that I still prefer independent unique store like you find on Queen west in Toronto.

Sorry off topic and probably better for another thread. Back to the Mayfair. Looking forward to how this building turns out.
Wait till we see a (by many standards) larger chain grocer come into DTK proper (even an 'urban' variety of one of them), it'll showcase that viability further. Unfortunately, we may have to wait until phase 2 of something like Station Park is at or near completion.
(03-03-2020, 11:52 AM)Spokes Wrote: You're absolutely right.  These chains wouldn't move to DTK if it wasn't viable.

But unfortunately the chains are also the ones that drive leasing costs up are and then small independent retailers (and residents) are forced to leave. Can't win!
(03-03-2020, 05:40 PM)urbd Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 11:52 AM)Spokes Wrote: You're absolutely right.  These chains wouldn't move to DTK if it wasn't viable.

But unfortunately the chains are also the ones that drive leasing costs up are and then small independent retailers (and residents) are forced to leave. Can't win!

Is this because landlords know chains can pay more over a longer term?
(03-04-2020, 10:44 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 05:40 PM)urbd Wrote: But unfortunately the chains are also the ones that drive leasing costs up are and then small independent retailers (and residents) are forced to leave. Can't win!

Is this because landlords know chains can pay more over a longer term?

I've heard that chains do tend to pay more and are more stable, which has a crowding-out effect that is quite unfortunate. So landlords would rationally hold out for higher rents than they can get from the chains. Then not only is your place full of chains but it's also not-full of local businesses.

(03-04-2020, 07:59 PM)plam Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 10:44 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is this because landlords know chains can pay more over a longer term?

I've heard that chains do tend to pay more and are more stable, which has a crowding-out effect that is quite unfortunate. So landlords would rationally hold out for higher rents than they can get from the chains. Then not only is your place full of chains but it's also not-full of local businesses.

The chains tend to be stable financially, yes, but I would expect them to drive a hard bargain and push the rents down. But this is admittedly just me speculating.

This first floor sturcture seems to be finished wood beams.
(03-06-2020, 08:44 AM)kitborn Wrote: This first floor sturcture seems to be finished wood beams.

It may be a structural wood building! We'll see soon.
Adam Clark has a couple of twitter threads about this building :

https://twitter.com/adamclark_cok/status...31424?s=21
I had no idea they were going with wood structure. Presumably CLT (cross laminated lumber)? This is an exiting project to watch.
I love the look of the structural wood construction! As a bonus, the CO2 footprint of structural wood is far, far better than that of concrete.

I sure hope they leave that wood exposed inside.
(03-07-2020, 05:50 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I sure hope they leave that wood exposed inside.

Very cool! It reminds me of The Museum, some of whose floor plates appear to be made entirely of 2x6es (and look like regular hardwood from above). Does anybody know how they are made? I mean, do they glue together a whole bunch of planks next to each other at a factory and then deliver big panels to the work site the same as the precast concrete used for many projects, or do they individually install them on site?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »