Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
222 Albert Street | 12 fl | Complete
in France I saw a building using prefab pieces going up at a rate of a floor every two days. They were using a hybrid technique in which the walls and floors are prefab but they are "glued" together with poured concrete columns-with-rebar-trimmings from the prefab pieces.

The routine was: assemble the walls and floor monday morning, pour fast setting concrete around noon, let it set for a day; repeat on Wednesday and Friday. This gives a rate of three floors a week.

(04-27-2015, 10:20 AM)Markster Wrote: This one was made using prefab pieces.
I assume that Spokes means to use that, as opposed to ICF (lego), or poured concrete.

The tower at the south end of Philip was also done with prefab.

Yes, I mean prefab vs ICF vs forms and concrete (One Victoria)
This building has topped off.
May 4, 2015

[Image: 3UvS5U9.png]
Not sure when, but the company behind this project has opened a sales office at University/Phillip, near the Second Cup.
Their office opened sometime in February. Changed their marketing direction to mostly students, but still marketing for young professionals as well (on the website). I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for a new dev that is less student-focused in Northdale.
(06-01-2015, 08:15 AM)firex Wrote: I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for a new dev that is less student-focused in Northdale.

It will happen, but it's going to take a few more years.
To attract Young Professionals to your development, you need to be a destination where some Young Professionals already live, and have an influence on the local culture.
There aren't Young Professionals in Northdale right now, because your options are falling-apart single family homes, or 5-bedroom student stacks.
Once all this 1-3 bedroom supply comes on-line, they will initially fill with students. However, over the years, I think we will start to see a lot of the 1/2-bedrooms turn into Young Professional units, as the students "age in-place". Why move out, when you've got a private cozy pad, and can get to your post-graduation job just fine from here?

And then there will be a market to sell new-build non-student condos to.

(06-01-2015, 10:29 AM)Markster Wrote: There aren't Young Professionals in Northdale right now, because your options are falling-apart single family homes, or 5-bedroom student stacks.
Once all this 1-3 bedroom supply comes on-line, they will initially fill with students. However, over the years, I think we will start to see a lot of the 1/2-bedrooms turn into Young Professional units, as the students "age in-place". Why move out, when you've got a private cozy pad, and can get to your post-graduation job just fine from here?

And then there will be a market to sell new-build non-student condos to.

I think it will start happening more directly. There's a wide range of university-affiliated people who are close enough to pass for Young Professionals - graduate students, postdocs, visiting professors, assistant professors, etc. The 1- and 2-bedroom furnished units in Northdale are just as relevant to them as they are to Young Professionals. They're a good value and location.
(06-02-2015, 12:09 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think it will start happening more directly. There's a wide range of university-affiliated people who are close enough to pass for Young Professionals - graduate students, postdocs, visiting professors, assistant professors, etc. The 1- and 2-bedroom furnished units in Northdale are just as relevant to them as they are to Young Professionals. They're a good value and location.

Indeed, I'd say that the Young Professional-like demographic associated with the university is a better bet, since they haven't been moving every 4 months, unlike UW undergrad alumni.

It's still true that better transit does enable them to live further than Northdale, though.

I don't know if I would have chosen to live in Northdale myself. 10 minutes by bike is plenty close. It does depend on what is nearby, and there's currently still more nearby Uptown than near the universities.
Is there a demographic term for someone who fits the Young Professional age range, but who doesn't have the same type of employment?

From Wikipedia: "The term young professional generally refers to young people in their 20s and 30s who are employed in a profession or white-collar occupation. The meaning may be ambiguous and has evolved from its original narrow meaning of a young person in a professional field."

Is Waterloo planning to go from a student ghetto to a white collar ghetto aimed at a narrow demographic of people?  If you work in a trade, or in the service industry, or on some form of defined income (a retirement pension perhaps), then you need not apply to live here?
(06-02-2015, 11:45 AM)nms Wrote: Is Waterloo planning to go from a student ghetto to a white collar ghetto aimed at a narrow demographic of people?  If you work in a trade, or in the service industry, or on some form of defined income (a retirement pension perhaps), then you need not apply to live here?

The term is used pretty loosely, and I'd be happy to substitute for it "young people who are not students and who may have some money to spend in their neighbourhood". Nothing about what's going up in this area precludes diverse populations from moving in; in fact, the relatively low prices per condo unit support it being more diverse.
(06-02-2015, 12:09 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think it will start happening more directly. There's a wide range of university-affiliated people who are close enough to pass for Young Professionals - graduate students, postdocs, visiting professors, assistant professors, etc. The 1- and 2-bedroom furnished units in Northdale are just as relevant to them as they are to Young Professionals. They're a good value and location.
I agree that those people will move into the new developments in Northdale pretty much immediately.

I just don't think that there's enough of them with enough money to support a new-build, majority owner-occupied, condo launch. Not for 3~4 years.
July 16, 2015

[Image: I5OoSFQ.jpg]

I like this building.
(07-16-2015, 11:34 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I like this building.

I do too, but I want to go to see it first-hand.  From the photo the contrast between the white and brown facades seems a bit jarring.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »