Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Other Forum Issues
(06-06-2015, 12:13 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 07:32 PM)Lens Wrote: Did something happen to the "view new posts" button?

The box on the home screen I've been toying with getting rid of, figuring out what works best for the home screen.

You can get the same results by clicking what's new at the top.

Is this a feature most people used and therefore want to see return?

Not quite. What's New shows all new posts including those you've already read and "new" posts going back weeks. View Unread Posts, which is now accessible only via UserName pulldown shows the much more useful list of posts you haven't yet read. The differences may seem subtle, maybe even confusing, to casual users but they're very different and of great import to more advanced, regular users.

I miss the lost box and would welcome its return.

Very valuable feedback, thank you.
And thank you for restoring the Welcome box!
Not a problem! Here to provide what everyone likes best. This thing is always a work in progress, always looking to improve.
"What's New?" is the bookmark I check, exclusively, unless I have a thought I want to post and need to track down the thread in which I should post it.
(05-21-2015, 09:10 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
Quote:Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/r...7&pid=7604. This can be fixed by moving the resource to the same domain or enabling CORS.

Not sure why, given that it does seem like the same domain....

So I'm still seeing this for both ratings and reporting, in different browsers on different operating systems. I think the issue might be that the URL for regular forum pages is http://waterlooregionconnected.com while the request to rate or report goes to http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com .
(06-18-2015, 10:52 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(05-21-2015, 09:10 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Not sure why, given that it does seem like the same domain....

So I'm still seeing this for both ratings and reporting, in different browsers on different operating systems. I think the issue might be that the URL for regular forum pages is http://waterlooregionconnected.com while the request to rate or report goes to http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com .

You can access the regular pages at the (traditional) www address as well.  It's what I'm doing, and I haven't seen the errors you describe.

Ideally the rate/report link should point to the same domain as the current page, but I don't know how easy it is to control that.

(06-19-2015, 09:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote: You can access the regular pages at the (traditional) www address as well.  It's what I'm doing, and I haven't seen the errors you describe.

I assumed the forum was redirecting me to the address without the www, but I guess not. Everything seems to work with the www address, so looks like I need to update my bookmarks...
(06-19-2015, 10:10 AM)mpd618 Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 09:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote: You can access the regular pages at the (traditional) www address as well.  It's what I'm doing, and I haven't seen the errors you describe.

I assumed the forum was redirecting me to the address without the www, but I guess not. Everything seems to work with the www address, so looks like I need to update my bookmarks...

It shouldn't redirect.  I'll double check and make sure it's not in any cases/links.

For what it's worth, I've always got the www there and no issues have occurred.  
(06-21-2015, 09:40 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 10:10 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I assumed the forum was redirecting me to the address without the www, but I guess not. Everything seems to work with the www address, so looks like I need to update my bookmarks...

It shouldn't redirect.  I'll double check and make sure it's not in any cases/links.

For what it's worth, I've always got the www there and no issues have occurred.  

If you are able to remove the site name (www.waterlooregionconnected.com) from the ratings/reporting link and just have it default to the current server name (whether www or not), it should prevent the issues that mpd618 was seeing ...
Is the database server having difficulties coping with the recent intense bicycling discussions? Smile I have seen numerous MyBB/MySQL error messages in the past few days.
I've seen a couple as well. Going to look into it.

Easy solution. Shut down the cycling in WR thread haha.
Here is a screenshot:

[Image: 3UYUEEU.jpg]

These MySQL connection errors have become increasingly frequent, as have slowdowns and timeouts in general. I realize this forum is free and that the cost of operating it has to come from somewhere. I appreciate the efforts and financial support of those behind this forum. My intent isn't to criticize but to (hopefully) help resolve these issues.

FWIW I've been involved for many years with another website that operates on the same principles as WRC, i.e. free to all thanks to the personal financial support of a few. We've always run on a shoe string budget that necessitated the use of a "cheap" shared host service like http://www.bluehost.com/. We've experienced similar slowdowns and timeouts. Occasionally this was due to a configuration issue with our host service provider. But most often it's been due to one or more other sites that are hosted on the same server as ours. It took persistent reports of service issues to the hosting company, including provision of statistical proof of service degradation, to get them to address the issue. I have no idea if they intervened with the offending site or simply moved us to a different host. The point is that the squeaking wheel gets the grease. 

I wonder if the management of WRC could comment on how aware they are of current service issues and what they're doing to address them. What can we do to help (e.g. money, reports of service issues, etc.)?
It looks like WRC is hosted by GoDaddy. They should have enough horsepower in their data centre to support WRC, but clearly there is an issue somewhere. If the MySQL database is WRC's own, it could be some kind of MySQL (configuration?) problem as well.

I have been meaning to contribute toward the costs but I have to admit that I haven't done so yet ... Sad
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »