Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Mall Retail (Cambridge Centre, Conestoga, Fairview)
Mall Retail
Thread to discuss retail news at Waterloo Region's 3 Regional Malls:

[Image: sWqN9wBR.jpg]

[Image: KG3ewvJf.jpg]

[Image: RF78eOXe.jpg]

Image Sources:

Fairview (from this angle) looks like "tear down" material ... SEARS hasn't renovated exterior in 40+ years and as for "Wallie-Mart" the exterior is a gulag looking for a home.
The Sears exterior has a bit of retro charm to it. Walmart on the other hand...

Same with HBC, for that matter. They tried to dress it up, but the fake stone at the entrances doesn't really match the retro brick from the original tenant. Needs a full recladding, if you ask me.
The above photo looks like it's from before the 2007rebo of Fairview.the entrances still have the old logo and the paeking lot still has its old lighting. Nonetheless the mall is by far the oldest of the three and does show it's age on the outside. The interior at least looks quite good.
Wanted to comment on the Cambridge Centre. I was there a couple weeks ago, and the Sears store has permanently turned into an outlet store. I had a coupon to use at Sears and was told they didn't accept it as they were now an outlet store and to go to the Kitchener or Guelph Sears store if I wanted to use it. I must say with it being an outlet store, everything was on liquidation clearout sale and the store was quite busy.

Also, there are several vacancies in the mall along with a growing number of 'no-name' stores and interesting tenants such as a Cambridge Hyundai showroom. 

It could perhaps be a transition period in between leases, but does anyone know what is happening?

I still think it's quite unique that there is an ice rink in the middle of the mall and this itself can be quite the draw.

On another note and regarding the Fairview picture above, I don't have any good pictures and couldn't find a flattering exterior photo online. If anyone has one, let me know and I can update it. 
It's not really for this thread but the exterior work on the Frederick St Mall seems to be pretty much complete.  I went in the other day and noticed that they have lost their hardware store, which is unfortunate.
(11-16-2014, 05:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It's not really for this thread but the exterior work on the Frederick St Mall seems to be pretty much complete.  I went in the other day and noticed that they have lost there hardware store, which is unfortunate.

Was that the Home Hardware? The HH in Frederick Mall moved out a few years ago to the Home Furnishings location on Victoria St. N to become a combined store. Interestingly, I believe the only hardware store in town that has a home-made beer and wine aisle.

I go in so seldom that I'm not really sure.  I do find smaller malls of that sort useful, especially for seniors, if they can maintain a decent mix of retail and services.  Stanley Park Mall is another of the sort (although at the moment it lacks a place to get a coffee and muffing, which seems pretty basic).
It was a true value hardware or an independent hardware store that opened in the old home hardware at Frederick mall.
I may be imagining things, but I am starting believe there is activity at the former Oliver & Bonacini location in the Conestoga Mall. I believe there is new paper covering the windows so you cannot see inside. I also believe someone has been monkeying around with the sign as it looks different, like parts of it are removed.

That space has been empty for going on 2 years, it would be great to see something go into that space.
You're probably right unless we're both imaging things lol, I saw some activity happening there a couple weeks ago. I saw a guy doing something with the lighting. I'm hoping a pub will open there like a Jack astors or preferably something not in KW yet like Applebee's or Chili's
You're probably right unless we're both imaging things lol, I saw some activity happening there a couple weeks ago. I saw a guy doing something with the lighting. I'm hoping a pub will open there like a Jack astors or preferably something not in KW yet like Applebee's or Chili's
If you want a nicer photo of the Fairview Sears exterior, let me know and I'll jet over and take a few pics. I like the concrete sculpted exterior.

Lush will be opening a store next month in Fairview Park Mall, according to the Record.
Noticed that West 49 is having a liquidation sale at Conestoga Mall and will be closing by the end of June. Surprising as they relocated to the former Shoppers Drug Mart space only about 5 years ago after the former food court and Shoppers Drug Mart area was renovated.

Is it suffering as a business, or is the mall perhaps bringing in a new tenant?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »