Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D Printing
Any other 3D Printing hobbyists out there?

I work for a small automation company, and at my office I'm the unofficial keeper of our 3 printers - a 3D Systems CubeX Duo, formlabs form1+, and Stratasys Dimension 1200es SST. At home I have an M3D Micro.

We just got one at the school I teach at, it's pretty cool.

I saw the ION logo you made, very nice!!
(06-21-2015, 08:06 AM)Canard Wrote: Any other 3D Printing hobbyists out there?

I work for a small automation company, and at my office I'm the unofficial keeper of our 3 printers - a 3D Systems CubeX Duo, formlabs form1+, and Stratasys Dimension 1200es SST.  At home I have an M3D Micro.

I also work for a small automation company, but we're not utilizing 3D printers for our designs or prototypes, haven't seen one in the workplace since Christie and RIM days.
It's such a cool technology. Like any tool, once you have it, you find uses for it and shift your way of thinking a bit. For me as a designer, it's huge because instead of burdening the machine shop to make me a test fixture or piece of machinery I'm designing, to test - I can simply print the parts overnight, with no labour or intervention by anyone, and then verify my designs. For high volume parts (sometimes our machines have hundreds of similar parts), geometry and functional verification is huge and we've paid for the cost of our printers over and over in rework costs alone.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »