Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
Speaking of PM statues, young WLMK is having to move, at least temporarily.

This is kinda cool:

Huge mural will rise this summer along Kitchener's River Road
Waterloo Region Record

By Gordon Paul

KITCHENER — When you are an artist with an ugly 30-metre-long backyard fence, it's only a matter of time before the paint hits the brush.

"My wife's been after me for 10 years to paint this fence," says Kitchener artist David Whitley. "She was the one who really pushed me: 'Why don't you do this? This is sitting there, it's an empty fence, it's kind of ugly, there's nothing there and it has such potential.'

"I thought, 'I don't know, I don't know,' and I hummed and hawed about it."

Then, last July, Whitley, 48, got inspired to do much more than a simple Tom Sawyer whitewash job.

He is painting 25 4x8-foot (1.5x2.5-metre) panels for a mural that will span the length of the back of the fence facing busy River Road in Kitchener. The project will end up taking "hundreds and hundreds of hours," Whitley said in an interview Thursday.

The mural's theme is childhood and will feature Whitley's paintings of such things as a dinosaur with a roller-coaster on its back, a man sleeping on a camel and a masked sasquatch wearing running shoes. ...

...Whitley has launched aKickstarter campaign to try to raise $6,500 to pay for materials. It is a little more than halfway to the target with a March 31 deadline looming.

"We're hoping the cavalry comes in at the last minute and helps us out," he said.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5516...iver-road/
Does anyone know anything about Creative Enterprise Initiative? My understanding is they started Grand Social, and are working to improve the arts in Waterloo region, this article says they have been given $4.1m since 2010, but do they have anything really to show for that?
They took over the LCBO space on Erb St and converted it into a successful artist space. I understand a lot of the money goes into that.
(05-28-2015, 10:51 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: They took over the LCBO space on Erb St and converted it into a successful artist space. I understand a lot of the money goes into that.

My understanding is that building is rented to them at well below market rate, but yes the provide space for artists as well as education sessions for the community.
Fun blog piece on Ontario Street / FUNtario

http://communityedition.ca/blog/2015/06/...et-scenes/
Arts, culture - and sports. Busy days Downtown this week with a good turnout this evening for the PanAm torch; Kitchener Twilight Grand Prix bicycle races tomorrow from 3pm; the Multicultural Festival in Victoria Park this weekend; and the Summer Lights Festival from 8pm to 1am on Saturday.

The Twilight Grand Prix was actually very cool. Those guys go unbelievably fast and you actually feel a strong gust of wind that they generate behind the peloton. If you didn't make it this year, I highly recommend checking it out next year. Consider showing up for the later races over the earlier ones, as the elite/professional riders race at the end at significantly higher speeds and much closer together.

I just got back from cheering on some team mates at the Guelph Lake Olympic and Try-a-tri distance triathlons. It's a lot of fun cheering people and you couldn't ask for better weather. Unfortunately, the weather doesn't look nearly so friendly tomorrow during the sprint (in which I'll be competing). Hopefully we'll be lucky!
All-night B-Movie Fest at Apollo tonight! Love the things they're doing at that theatre.
(06-20-2015, 05:36 PM)jamincan Wrote: The Twilight Grand Prix was actually very cool. Those guys go unbelievably fast and you actually feel a strong gust of wind that they generate behind the peloton. If you didn't make it this year, I highly recommend checking it out next year. Consider showing up for the later races over the earlier ones, as the elite/professional riders race at the end at significantly higher speeds and much closer together.

I just got back from cheering on some team mates at the Guelph Lake Olympic and Try-a-tri distance triathlons. It's a lot of fun cheering people and you couldn't ask for better weather. Unfortunately, the weather doesn't look nearly so friendly tomorrow during the sprint (in which I'll be competing). Hopefully we'll be lucky!

I was unable to go to the bike races this year, but I went last year and it was a lot of fun.  Definitely worth going.

Were there a number of food trucks there this year?  There were last year.
(06-21-2015, 09:45 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(06-20-2015, 05:36 PM)jamincan Wrote: The Twilight Grand Prix was actually very cool. Those guys go unbelievably fast and you actually feel a strong gust of wind that they generate behind the peloton. If you didn't make it this year, I highly recommend checking it out next year. Consider showing up for the later races over the earlier ones, as the elite/professional riders race at the end at significantly higher speeds and much closer together.

I was unable to go to the bike races this year, but I went last year and it was a lot of fun.  Definitely worth going.

I saw three food trucks in Carl Zehr Plaza and it looked like there was a small beer garden out front.
(06-21-2015, 10:05 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 09:45 AM)Spokes Wrote: I was unable to go to the bike races this year, but I went last year and it was a lot of fun.  Definitely worth going.

I saw three food trucks in Carl Zehr Plaza and it looked like there was a small beer garden out front.

Sounds like the same as last year
(06-20-2015, 08:01 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: All-night B-Movie Fest at Apollo tonight! Love the things they're doing at that theatre.

This coming weekend (June 26th - 29th) there's a James Bond festival. 

#TaplessTakeover seems more inline with peoples interests on this website...

There's a new fiesta in the making as we speak!
Join us June 25th for our first Tapless Takeover event featuring Block Three Brewing Company, and a screening of the summer classic Dazed and Confused.
We'll be offering Block Three's full line of beers at the snack bar where they will be launching their latest brew. So come enjoy a drink and chat with the brewers about all things beer.
We'll be announcing the new beer in the coming weeks!
Doors at 5pm so swing by early, get cozy, and enjoy some pre feature shorts.
The event begins at 7pm.
The Block Three beer of your choice is included in the ticket price. - $12 for members, $15 non-member
So zip up your tight jeans, and roll on over to the Apollo.
That sounds awesome!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »