Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sage Condominiums IvyTowns | 4 fl | U/C
Sage Condominiums IvyTowns
253 Albert St., Waterloo
http://www.sagecondos.ca/
Developer:  In8 Developments

[Image: ivytownsarial.jpg]

[Image: 253AlbertStreetivy.jpg]

Site Plan:

[Image: Ivy_site.jpg]

The urban design brief for 258 Sunview refers to a 2nd and 3rd phase of Ivy Towns.  Stay tuned.
I've always thought the Sage design theme, especially the low-rise stuff like the towns is borderline brutalist...
This one in particular is rough.

The massing is good, but the finishes aren't
Not sure if this is has been posted but It looks like IN8 (sage developers) have another project or two called "Ivy"

http://in8developments.ca/properties/

They both look absolutely terribly ugly.

Sage 1 and 2 were acceptable looking buildings but they seem to have really gone for a slide in the design department since then.
Yeah, Ivy II and Ivy III look about as appealing as thirty year old apartment blocks do. Which is to say not at all.
Would not be welcomed in Barcelona, but might well be in Waterloo.

See this link (Rules for Building a Beautiful City), kindly provided by chutten:
http://waterlooregionconnected.com/showt...hp?tid=433

• May comply with Item 1a (Order and repetition) in Northdale, though 1b (Variety) is arguable.
  • Maybe Item 2 (Visible Life) could be pushed hard in order to resuscitate.
  • Item 3 (“living close in uplifting surroundings”) is arguable.
  • Maybe Item 4 (Orientation and Mystery) could be pushed hard in order to resuscitate.
  • Item 5 (Scale) seems to be complied with.
  • Item 6 is offended (“This could be anywhere”). Yes, we do have the right to judge beauty.

chutten’s link provides a framework for subjective judgment.

(07-01-2015, 12:39 AM)mpd618 Wrote: Yeah, Ivy II and Ivy III look about as appealing as thirty year old apartment blocks do. Which is to say not at all.

Which is too bad because some of their other projects look good.
I think all the Sage Project (1-5) are quite attractive. I like the brutalist look of the Ivy Towns, however Ivy II & III are quite the disappointment. 
(07-01-2015, 08:01 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: I think all the Sage Project (1-5) are quite attractive. I like the brutalist look of the Ivy Towns, however Ivy II & III are quite the disappointment. 

Agree on all points.  Ivy II & III remind me of the Married Students Apartments from the early 1970s, never particularly attractive, and even less so now.
(06-30-2015, 10:36 PM)Lens Wrote: Not sure if this is has been posted but It looks like IN8 (sage developers) have another project or two called "Ivy"

http://in8developments.ca/properties/

They both look absolutely terribly ugly.

Sage 1 and 2 were acceptable looking buildings but they seem to have really gone for a slide in the design department since then.

Is the beige portion of the buildings actually vinyl siding? Ugh.
(07-01-2015, 08:01 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: I think all the Sage Project (1-5) are quite attractive. I like the brutalist look of the Ivy Towns, however Ivy II & III are quite the disappointment. 

Totally agree, it is almost like given the success of the first IvyTown project, they just slapped together the other two projects as fast as possible.
Updated look for Ivytowns phase 1...

A disappointing lack of exposed concrete!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »