Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
The new Wurth Canada head office in Guelph uses this red, and their new building is quite unique and overall well done.

[Image: Wurth-Side-1024x576.jpg]
Image from: http://allianceroofing.ca/portfolio/wurth-canada/ 

Either way I love the concept. Where my frustration comes into play is that there are no shovels in the ground!! King St is tore up and once you have LRT going in place this will only add headaches with development going on. Kings Crossing and the McD's across the road should be going full tilt right now cause they have 16 months of the road being closed for grade separation and hopefully Google will be rolling in their new digs by then...
Is McD's slated for redevelopment?
(07-14-2015, 01:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is McD's slated for redevelopment?

There's only speculation about that, based on the fact that they have not renovated, so on.

I agree strongly, white_brian, that now is the time for King's Crossing to go ahead, if possible. With so much work being done all around them, it's a relatively great time for those businesses to be closed and the plaza to be demolished and reconstructed.
(07-14-2015, 01:12 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I agree strongly, white_brian, that now is the time for King's Crossing to go ahead, if possible. With so much work being done all around them, it's a relatively great time for those businesses to be closed and the plaza to be demolished and reconstructed.

From construction point of view, yes.  But what they'll need to take into consideration even more than construction is whether they can find tenants for the time that construction finishes.  If they are not yet confident that the demand will be there, they may wait some more.  Empty buildings are not good when you are in the landlord business.
(07-14-2015, 02:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 01:12 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I agree strongly, white_brian, that now is the time for King's Crossing to go ahead, if possible. With so much work being done all around them, it's a relatively great time for those businesses to be closed and the plaza to be demolished and reconstructed.

From construction point of view, yes.  But what they'll need to take into consideration even more than construction is whether they can find tenants for the time that construction finishes.  If they are not yet confident that the demand will be there, they may wait some more.  Empty buildings are not good when you are in the landlord business.

Couldn't agree more.  I'm sure that if the tenants were lining up for such a building, they would be agreeing that now is the time.

Certainly such a building can not be built on speculation, especially in a market such as Kitchener/Waterloo.
(07-14-2015, 01:12 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 01:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is McD's slated for redevelopment?

There's only speculation about that, based on the fact that they have not renovated, so on.

They did tear out the drive-thru, then re-landscaped. They seem to be leaving things at that. :/

(07-14-2015, 10:49 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 01:12 PM)MidTowner Wrote: There's only speculation about that, based on the fact that they have not renovated, so on.

They did tear out the drive-thru, then re-landscaped. They seem to be leaving things at that. :/

They had no choice in that matter, no ability to not do that; the drive-thru was always built on the regional road's right of way, with permission. When that space became needed for LRT, McDonald's had to comply, and did.
I don't know whether it means anything, but I noticed today that the small building on the King St side of this site (next to Laura Sharpe Florists) has been demolished. I think this has just happened this week.
Thanks for the update. I wonder if the render is more prospective or more of a defined project. But I am guessing with many tenants still operating in the existing plaza that demolition of that will be further out.
(07-29-2015, 07:27 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Thanks for the update. I wonder if the render is more prospective or more of a defined project. But I am guessing with many tenants still operating in the existing plaza that demolition of that will be further out.

Kind of off topic,but I'm surprised Subway is still there I assumed the new Subway beside Shoppers drug mart was going to be the new location for it.
(07-29-2015, 11:05 PM)BrianT Wrote: I don't know, but it would seem to be an excellent time with King Street being closed at the tracks for 18 months, to remove the remaining tenants and get the project going. I can't imagine that most of them are doing a booming business with the traffic disruptions from the LRT and underpass construction. Maybe the owners will buy out their leases.

I was chatting with an employee of the LCBO the other day, and he was commenting about how slow business has been in July.

It seems intuitive to me too that this would be the time to remove the existing tenants and redevelop; it seems like they would be more amenable while these disruptions are hurting their business anyway. Only the property's owners have all the details. I hope it does go forward soon, though, I think it would be great to have this redevelopment soon after Ion starts running.
That LCBO desperately needs to be closed and moved to a better Downtown location.

I agree with that. Part of its inutility is its location away from the street in a suburban-style strip mall; part is that it's now small and dingy by LCBO standards. It can't stock the same variety as a location like that in Uptown can.

Its poor opening hours don't help it at all, either.

What I personally think would be great would be it relocating to a large space in the Transit Hub one day.
I agree with Midtowner I have been thinking that for a long while.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »