Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 Church St | 6 fl | U/C
15 Church Street - Affordable Housing Building

[Image: Screenshot+2023-05-31+at+1.53.22+PM.png?format=1500w]
[Image: Screenshot+2023-05-31+at+1.55.04+PM.png?format=1500w]

New 6 story affordable housing building with 57 units being developed by Historic St. Paul's Lutheran Church, at the corner of Queen St S and Church St, in downtown Kitchener.

Developer's Website: https://www.historicstpauls.ca/affordable-housing

Funding Announcement (Sept 8th): https://www.marketwatch.com/press-releas...r-79247db2

Nice to see! Though I hate how affordable housing can be so intertwined with religious institutions. Better than nothing though.
They are intertwined because the people within the congregation do actually care and know how to get the job done.. They are not focused on profit. They are focused on good will..
Yes but there is a weird theological slant to why they do this. It's Christian flavoured goodwill. I'd rather our government build houses for people as it should be seen as a proper human right.
(09-18-2023, 03:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yes but there is a weird theological slant to why they do this. It's Christian flavoured goodwill. I'd rather our government build houses for people as it should be seen as a proper human right.

As long as the funding decisions are made on a secular basis and the organizations do not discriminate, I don't have an issue with religious charitable organizations in participating in the construction of affordable housing.
When I read Church Street, I was hoping it was the plot of land that the lady bought for like 15 million dollars I think. Has there been any other big sale of land without a proposal?
I think that was JD Developments, haven’t hear anything about that plot

(09-18-2023, 03:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Yes but there is a weird theological slant to why they do this. It's Christian flavoured goodwill. I'd rather our government build houses for people as it should be seen as a proper human right.

It doesn't have to be either/or.  There's a place for both (and for NGOs).
(09-18-2023, 04:16 PM)Square Wrote: When I read Church Street, I was hoping it was the plot of land that the lady bought for like 15 million dollars I think.  Has there been any other big sale of land without a proposal?

(09-18-2023, 05:17 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I think that was JD Developments, haven’t hear anything about that plot

Land is still registered to Church and Benton Ltd. No visible activity at the site.
Churches (and likely other religious denominations too) have a long history of stepping up to provide accommodation to those in need when others do not (whether monarchs, governments, or landowners). Churches are also significant landowners in downtown areas. When Trinity was sold, they hoped to inspire a developer to build affordable housing. Unfortunately, we got big tower with pricey condos and no affordable housing component at all. I wish St Paul's well.
(09-18-2023, 11:42 PM)nms Wrote: Churches (and likely other religious denominations too) have a long history of stepping up to provide accommodation to those in need when others do not (whether monarchs, governments, or landowners).  Churches are also significant landowners in downtown areas.  When Trinity was sold, they hoped to inspire a developer to build affordable housing.  Unfortunately, we got big tower with pricey condos and no affordable housing component at all.  I wish St Paul's well.

St Peter's (on Queen St between Weber and Duke) and St Mark's (on King St next to KCI) are already building affordable housing on their properties, too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »