Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(04-15-2019, 03:11 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 01:21 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I was by today and saw they were excavating.  Taking the final earth away because they wont need access anymore for a mobile crane.  As you can see the crane base well cemented, I am sure the tower crane will be going up shortly.  Look for road closure..  I am impressed with their pace of work...

How do they do that? With no ramp, how does the dirt get into the dump trucks? Do the excavators have to load it into buckets and the crane lifts them out? For that matter, can the crane lift out the excavators or do they get them out some other w
The average tower crane can lift 39 000 lbs near the centre of the jib  An excavator like the ones being utilized weigh much more than that.  The excavator just reaches down and pulls up the dirt and places in the truck,  They slowly walk toe excavator out of the hole utilizing the tracks and the shovel.  The shovel is much more powerful than the tracks..

(04-15-2019, 01:21 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I was by today and saw they were excavating.  Taking the final earth away because they wont need access anymore for a mobile crane.  As you can see the crane base well cemented, I am sure the tower crane will be going up shortly.  Look for road closure..  I am impressed with their pace of work...

How do they do that? With no ramp, how does the dirt get into the dump trucks? Do the excavators have to load it into buckets and the crane lifts them out? For that matter, can the crane lift out the excavators or do they get them out some other way?

They can lift them out with a tower Crane but they might get smaller excavators in the hole and then that excavator does the excavation once the ramp is gone.
(04-15-2019, 03:44 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 03:11 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: How do they do that? With no ramp, how does the dirt get into the dump trucks? Do the excavators have to load it into buckets and the crane lifts them out? For that matter, can the crane lift out the excavators or do they get them out some other way?

They can lift them out with a tower Crane but they might get smaller excavators in the hole and then that excavator does the excavation once the ramp is gone.

The current excavators look to be Cat 335's   they weigh over 84 000 lbs   an average tower crane cant lift that kind of weight.  I agree it could lift a much smaller excavator..
I'm surprised.  One of the backhoes just removed part of the original concrete.  What's going on??

(04-15-2019, 04:34 PM)jgsz Wrote: I'm surprised.  One of the backhoes just removed part of the original concrete.  What's going on??

An expensive mistake ?

How do they do that? With no ramp, how does the dirt get into the dump trucks? Do the excavators have to load it into buckets and the crane lifts them out? For that matter, can the crane lift out the excavators or do they get them out some other way?

Looking at the latest photo, there is clearly a ramp that the backhoes can ascend. Might be achievable for the dump trucks as well
(04-15-2019, 03:44 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The average tower crane can lift 39 000 lbs near the centre of the jib  An excavator like the ones being utilized weigh much more than that.  The excavator just reaches down and pulls up the dirt and places in the truck,  They slowly walk toe excavator out of the hole utilizing the tracks and the shovel.  The shovel is much more powerful than the tracks..

Thanks for the information. I think in my mind I was implicitly thinking of it as a much deeper hole, one that you could not reasonably scoop down to from ground level, nor maneuver an excavator out of. I remember wondering the same when they did the excavation for the QNC at UW, and although I saw some parts of the excavation I missed the last bit where they removed the last of the ramp and got the machinery out.

(04-15-2019, 04:45 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 04:34 PM)jgsz Wrote: I'm surprised.  One of the backhoes just removed part of the original concrete.  What's going on??

An expensive mistake ?

Perhaps it was a mistake but I'm no longer sure.  By the end of the day they excavated that area.  Now I'm just puzzled.  

That doesn't look like a mistake... looks very planned..
When I drove by today the road wasn't closed like the regional website would suggest so sadly I'm thinking a crane is not going up this closure.
2019-04-18

For the last two days workers were removing soil from the north side.  Today, they are pouring cement in that area.

Just want to point out the drainage laid in the foundation rebar appears to flow to the previously dug pit. So the theory of a sump pit is likely correct.

Saw some action out front yesterday as I passed by.
(02-11-2018, 01:11 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Thread name is a place holder until further details are known.

Developer: IN8 Developments Inc
Project: 33 storey mixed use development

Articles related to the pending sale/redevelopment on Trinity United Church.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/796...kitchener/
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/753...wn-church/

Meeting minutes from Trinity United Church with details relating to the sale of the site at 74 Frederick St to IN8 Developments:
https://www.trinityunitedkw.ca/board-age...th-meeting

Thank you !
I didn't see this ad on homeads, It will be a nice idea if you contact them so they can put on their website.

Hey jgsz. Any chance we can get an updated pic soon?   Thanks
(04-28-2019, 02:19 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Hey jgsz. Any chance we can get an updated pic soon?   Thanks

2019-04-29

Last week they poured more cement and put down more rebar.  They also took away most of the ramp leading to Frederick Street.  I think they were working on the retaining wall where the ramp was.  Then they started to rebuild the ramp.  Rain kept workers away on some days.  

Here is a pic from late yesterday.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »