Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
Yes.. But I am more curious as to what those square footing bases are for ? There must be something very heaving that will be sitting on it.

(06-21-2019, 10:11 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Yes.. But I am more curious as to what those square footing bases are for ?  There must be something very heaving that will be sitting on it.
In that location the only thing needing to be supported is the podium and not 39 floors.
(06-21-2019, 03:50 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 10:11 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Yes.. But I am more curious as to what those square footing bases are for ?  There must be something very heaving that will be sitting on it.
In that location the only thing needing to be supported is the podium and not 39 floors.

Am I right if I say the podium would also be the parking garage? That's a lot of weight too...
(06-21-2019, 09:28 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 03:50 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: In that location the only thing needing to be supported is the podium and not 39 floors.

Am I right if I say the podium would also be the parking garage? That's a lot of weight too...
That is right but the parking garage is to the back of the building from Duke this is just the retail part of it.
2019-06-24

More square footing and rebar work on the Duke Street side.  Interesting that the space between the footing are not equal and they don't seem to be lined up properly.  

(06-21-2019, 09:28 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 03:50 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: In that location the only thing needing to be supported is the podium and not 39 floors.

To answer a few of the questions going around.
1. The thin concrete poured on the sand is just a skim coat in order to create a clean surface for footing layout, building forms and to not disturb the surface below footing.
2. The formed concrete squares are just typical column footings. Slightly larger since it is sitting on sand. As mentioned if this is only below the podium and not the tower that would explain why the raft slab was done in the core and here single footings are sufficient. If the soil conditions were different the entire underground would be be done this way. These can take the weight of a parking garage without any issue.
3. Footing and column layout is largely based on parking garage layout requirment and structural limits. They dont need to line up and spacing will vary.

Hope that helps.
(06-25-2019, 12:30 PM)skyrise32 Wrote: To answer a few of the questions going around.
1. The thin concrete poured on the sand is just a skim coat in order to create a clean surface for footing layout, building forms and to not disturb the surface below footing.
2. The formed concrete squares are just typical column footings. Slightly larger since it is sitting on sand. As mentioned if this is only below the podium and not the tower that would explain why the raft slab was done in the core and here single footings are sufficient. If the soil conditions were different the entire underground would be be done this way. These can take the weight of a parking garage without any issue.
3. Footing and column layout is largely based on parking garage layout requirment and structural limits. They dont need to line up and spacing will vary.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.  That helps a lot.  I enjoy taking the pics but I don't know anything about construction.

The parking garage is at the back toward Weber Street, on the front on Duke Street is the retail like ZEBuilder said.
2019-06-26

Today a backhoe was spreading soil (sand) around the footings.  Also, two of the footings have forms around them.  I can see at least three footing with tall rebar waiting for forms.

(06-26-2019, 04:19 PM)jgsz Wrote: 2019-06-26

Today a backhoe was spreading soil (sand) around the footings.  Also, two of the footings have forms around them.  I can see at least three footing with tall rebar waiting for forms.
by the end of July we should see above ground work.
Thanks for all the updates!

P.S. Technically it's an excavator, not a backhoe. Smile
It does hoe in a backwards direction...
I didn't understand the difference between excavator and backhoe, but found this (almost certainly content marketing and full of tracker bugs) explanation helpful: https://www.industrialbrake.co.nz/differ...machinery/

(06-27-2019, 04:05 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I didn't understand the difference between excavator and backhoe, but found this (almost certainly content marketing and full of tracker bugs) explanation helpful: https://www.industrialbrake.co.nz/differ...machinery/

And then we also have a front loader!
2019-07-03

Update.  The second pic shows detail of the forms on the Duke Street side.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »