Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
I think it looks OK (just OK), but I really dislike the poorly hidden parking garage on the Frederick St side of the podium, at least as it appears in the render.

Here are some new renderings that appeared on my facebook wall today. I especially like the bird's eye-view with the LRT train!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like it's going to have a really great street presence.

So now just get rid of market square and you've got a great intersection Wink
(04-12-2018, 09:04 AM)Spokes Wrote: Looks like it's going to have a really great street presence.

It's on higher ground too, so it should stand out a bit more...something needs to be done with Market Square, nothing that a good facelift couldn't fix.
(04-12-2018, 09:17 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 09:04 AM)Spokes Wrote: Looks like it's going to have a really great street presence.

It's on higher ground too, so it should stand out a bit more...something needs to be done with Market Square, nothing that a good facelift couldn't fix.

A reclad with a couple more storeys (to hide the parking garage) would be a good start wrt the former Stantec office on the corner.
(04-12-2018, 09:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 09:17 AM)jeffster Wrote: It's on higher ground too, so it should stand out a bit more...something needs to be done with Market Square, nothing that a good facelift couldn't fix.

A reclad with a couple more storeys (to hide the parking garage) would be a good start wrt the former Stantec office on the corner.

Personally I'm OK with the brick. But it needs a rethink, it's laid out for a mall + a huge parking garage, and that's certainly not the optimal use of real estate at this intersection. I do hope EuroPro (the current owner) has some development plans brewing for it.
The parking garage is sticking around at least - crews are currently replacing all the wooden railings.

(04-12-2018, 11:11 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 09:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote: A reclad with a couple more storeys (to hide the parking garage) would be a good start wrt the former Stantec office on the corner.

Personally I'm OK with the brick. But it needs a rethink, it's laid out for a mall + a huge parking garage, and that's certainly not the optimal use of real estate at this intersection. I do hope EuroPro (the current owner) has some development plans brewing for it.

Brick's fine (it's Kitchener, after all!) but I said "reclad" because of my wish to see it grow a couple of stories - I imagined that might oblige them to use glass cladding, at least for the addition.

Re the parking garage, it too would benefit from a major reclad of the Duke and Scott St facades - perhaps a laser-cut metal sheathing.  Not gonna happen, but it could be nice.
(04-12-2018, 03:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:11 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Personally I'm OK with the brick. But it needs a rethink, it's laid out for a mall + a huge parking garage, and that's certainly not the optimal use of real estate at this intersection. I do hope EuroPro (the current owner) has some development plans brewing for it.

Brick's fine (it's Kitchener, after all!) but I said "reclad" because of my wish to see it grow a couple of stories - I imagined that might oblige them to use glass cladding, at least for the addition.

Re the parking garage, it too would benefit from a major reclad of the Duke and Scott St facades - perhaps a laser-cut metal sheathing.  Not gonna happen, but it could be nice.

OK, we're on the same page, then.  

I think what they could do is demolish much of the parking garage (which is not in good shape anyway), and build two (?) towers there, using the top of the shopping mall for a rooftop garden (as originally envisioned!). Properly envisioned and renovated, the smallish remaining shopping mall area might even be viable with all the new residential towers in the area (including the ones for this property).

Not that I'm actually expecting this to happen … Sad
I didn't realize that this location already has the zoning to accommodate this project, they plan to start selling units in May, with construction starting in November. The project will contain 8000 Sq ft of retail space.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/840...-the-city/
It will be interesting to see how sales go. 410 apartments is a lot of units ....
(04-18-2018, 05:39 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I didn't realize that this location already has the zoning to accommodate this project, they plan to start selling units in May, with construction starting in November. The project will contain 8000 Sq ft of retail space. 

D-1 zoning (office district)! I think it's the most permissive zoning in the city.

400 units is quite a lot, but 100 Victoria and Charlie West are pretty much sold out, and Young Condos will surely be at least a year behind. Arrow 2 and Drewlo will be rentals.

I'm waiting to see what kind of mix of unit sizes they will do...
(04-18-2018, 10:19 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 05:39 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I didn't realize that this location already has the zoning to accommodate this project, they plan to start selling units in May, with construction starting in November. The project will contain 8000 Sq ft of retail space. 

D-1 zoning (office district)! I think it's the most permissive zoning in the city.

400 units is quite a lot, but 100 Victoria and Charlie West are pretty much sold out, and Young Condos will surely be at least a year behind. Arrow 2 and Drewlo will be rentals.

Which one is that?  One begins to lose track ...

(04-18-2018, 10:21 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 10:19 AM)tomh009 Wrote: D-1 zoning (office district)! I think it's the most permissive zoning in the city.

Which one is that?  One begins to lose track ...

Young Condos is City Centre Phase 2.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/840...-the-city/

'Tallest building in the city"....more like tallest building in the region!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »