Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(11-16-2018, 05:46 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 03:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Indeed. Housing (which we do need more of) is only a part of the solution. Increased mental health services may help. Increasing both may significantly help reduce the homeless population, but not entirely eliminate the issue. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

You have to keep in mind that many of these homeless are homeless because they aren't allowed into shelter because of previous violence, or not adhering to the rules. Many do indeed have mental health issues too.

And some do not want to be in shelters.

It's not an easy problem. But we can't ignore it.

(11-16-2018, 05:46 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: You have to keep in mind that many of these homeless are homeless because they aren't allowed into shelter because of previous violence, or not adhering to the rules. Many do indeed have mental health issues too.

And in this case, they are people who don’t understand that you can’t have a campfire in a building. I say this not to say that we can therefore dismiss them and do nothing on the grounds that it’s their own fault; but rather to underscore how difficult the problem is. These aren’t people who would be just fine if there were more jobs around. I suspect even a guaranteed income wouldn’t be sufficient; they need more assistance than that.

How to provide that, and what form it should take, I really don’t know. I do know that there are people who know way more than I do about homelessness, and who actually work with homeless people regularly, who would have meaningful opinions on the matter.
(11-16-2018, 06:47 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 05:46 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: You have to keep in mind that many of these homeless are homeless because they aren't allowed into shelter because of previous violence, or not adhering to the rules. Many do indeed have mental health issues too.

And in this case, they are people who don’t understand that you can’t have a campfire in a building. I say this not to say that we can therefore dismiss them and do nothing on the grounds that it’s their own fault; but rather to underscore how difficult the problem is. These aren’t people who would be just fine if there were more jobs around. I suspect even a guaranteed income wouldn’t be sufficient; they need more assistance than that.

How to provide that, and what form it should take, I really don’t know. I do know that there are people who know way more than I do about homelessness, and who actually work with homeless people regularly, who would have meaningful opinions on the matter.

You are correct. Not an easy solution
So I heard there is a condo planned for this site.
(11-17-2018, 05:03 AM)rangersfan Wrote: So I heard there is a condo planned for this site.

Hopefully the city will allow for a building taller than 19 floors...
(11-17-2018, 01:00 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-17-2018, 05:03 AM)rangersfan Wrote: So I heard there is a condo planned for this site.

Hopefully the city will allow for a building taller than 19 floors...

I heard this one might be over 21 floors !!

Rangersfan, can we stick to homeless fires please?

/S

(11-19-2018, 01:58 PM)Chris Wrote:

Rangersfan, can we stick to homeless fires please?

/S

Too funny...  If anyone is downtown, could they grab a few pics please if they are continuing demolition ?  I am out of town so I cant see the process
I'm curious how fast they really speed up demo
Last Friday

Today around 4:30

Attached Files Image(s)

Have cities like Vancouver been successful at partnering with developers to encourage mixed demographic housing that could include space for either lower income housing or shelters and community services?
(11-21-2018, 05:30 PM)nms Wrote: Have cities like Vancouver been successful at partnering with developers to encourage mixed demographic housing that could include space for either lower income housing or shelters and community services?

It continues to be a challenge in Vancouver -- probably even more than here, given their property prices -- and it was a major issue in their municipal election, and likely helped Kennedy Stewart get elected. The hard work is still ahead for them.

Ya, without getting this thread off topic, I have NO idea how they solve their housing issues there. Wow.
After a few days of digging down into the ground it seems like a lot of progress was made on the back building today. The back wall of the church is also gone now. 

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »