Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Strata | 16 & 22 fl | Proposed
And even more so with THEIR other projects going on

That's just it. Hard to ask for high price/sqft when own competing properties still for sale are less.

Let's see how this one plays out. By the looks of it, should be a gem along King.
It's just funny that people were opposed to it. I think it's perfect here.
Yah there was a lot of pushback from what I read, along the lines of losing uptown Waterloo's historic charm. Whilst they aren't exactly integrating an older infrastructure (like Glove Box, Google etc.) I think it could only add value and plays on the great strides Waterloo Region has made in terms of being a tech. leader. If they don't want the building in UTW, we'll take it here in DTK ^.^
I honestly never understood the argument that Uptown has a historic core. And if we're talking about only King Street the number of buildings I would call historic is about 20. Beyond King there are older houses but not really anything noteworthy other than the old legion, 3 Regina St, the data hub at the old police station, the library (if we're including mid century) and the old library. The state of the buildings fronting King is a completely random mishmash of ages, styles, and bad renos in a few cases.
I didn't understand it either. I think part of it was historic in terms of limiting height. There's a big anti height sentiment when it comes to Uptown Waterloo which I've never really understood.
Agreed Lens. You won't get pushback from me as it stands - but again I don't have any nostalgia with a particular building in that area either. It isn't like UTW has a Galt vibe with the stonework throughout - I can understanding maintaining that look because it is actually sought after nowadays.

Whatever helps bring K-W up to par with leading mid-size cities of the world, I'd likely support. When people from GGTA look at me like I have 2 heads trying to explain K-W has more to offer compared to supporting Toronto suburbs of Milton, Newmarket/Aurora, Pickering/Ajax/Oshawa and the like, it gets frustrating. Okay maybe I don't have to argue against all those places but you understand what I mean. Constant justification.

Bring on the tasteful density and businesses that are bound to come with it Smile

IMO, pushback I would have would be because —despite them being the cores— these are the only areas where there is any semblance of a "classic" street wall. My ideal street density is that of Queen St W, in Toronto, where there's still a lot of culture and small businesses can thrive without having to give in to an onslaught of condos. Even if theyre not historic, the buildings are still compact, still have original hardwood floors, etc.

Because these are the only areas that have anything similar, replacing them all of with condos removes KWs ability to foster that sort of small business, originality culture. To me and I think a lot of people who push back (the artists, the people trying to make a name for themselves, the people trying to fight against gentrification), areas like this are synonymous with artistry and independence and originality:

[Image: 23oi3tk.jpg]

whereas condos (though necessary for the city to grow), are synonymous with the elite, the conventional, the corporate, and landlords and erasure of culture. We dont have many of this type of place in the city, and seeing what we do have get wiped out just means we're slowly approaching and normalizing the latter.

I realize that this is currently an empty post office, yes. I'm not necessarily opposed to the development, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sadden me at the same time.
I certainly agree with maintaining a good "classic" streetwall where we do already have it and I think you're right in your assessment of what these areas and condos represent. I just think that this lot location is perfect for something like Strata. It's the edge of Uptown, not destroying any historic streetwall or buildings, and adding much needed residents to Uptown. I do think that the developer could have reduced the height on the King side a bit to "blend in" a bit more but for me this project is extremely positive for Uptown overall. I think think the loss of any of the smaller, older buildings and retail space does hurt the vibe of a core and make it harder for interesting stores and restaurants to open. There's also the question of rising rents both naturally and because of projects like this that can make the cores totally unaffordable. Just look at Galt for an example of cheaper rents and a few great local businesses that might not be able to exist Uptown or Downtown.
It's an interesting dilemma. The core needs condos and more people living there, and King street ends up being the most targeted area to develop because there's a certain appeal to being right in the most central area. Maybe up-zoning the areas one block away from King?
The density can come from allowing more than just SFH in the neighbourhoods around uptown. CORE would probably be vehemently opposed to anything like that though.
I think it belongs more in DTK than Uptown. It's not the right size for that spot.

@Spokes: isn't the zoning a block away on Regina already more permissive?
I'll be honest, off the top of my head, I don't know. I think it might be though. That's the question though, should it be? Or should King Street have tall buildings?

It's all about your vision for uptown I guess.

Walked by the old post office yesterday and realized we haven't heard much about this recently, where's it at, status wise?
I thought I read they weren't in a huge rush given their other projects
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »