Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ending Chronic Homelessness
(05-15-2023, 02:31 AM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 10:56 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: Would you rather those people who are experiencing homelessness to be wandering the streets looking for some place to stay warm, potentially starting fires in abandoned buildings which could cause even more harm? Freezing to death on the sidewalk? Litt is providing these people who are just as much of a member of society as you and I a place to live, a place they can call home temporarily, my job allows me to have frequent encounters with those who are homeless and yes you have those who are eccentric, but you also have the ones who just got dealt a bad hand in life that put them into homelessness and are just trying to get their lives back together. You are blatantly stereotyping all of those who are using the emergency shelter system as those who are eccentric while many are not which shows the privilege you have since you can refer to them as "Chaos". Obviously the people living there will not be there forever as it will be developed in the coming years by Litt but in the meantime it is something that just has to be dealt with.

I wouldn't say Litt disgusts me, because he is presumably acting with good intentions. But I wouldn't wish my downtown experiences on any other neighbourhood in the city, and so it's easy for me to see why someone would draw a line to those who are making that happen. I think a lot of shouting past each other happens here, because so many type of people get blanketed under homeless. While I'm sure there are some people who do, the vast majority of people have no problem with homeless people in and of themselves. People have a problem with violent people, criminals, extremely mentally ill people, and people with severe drug addictions. Many on this forum don't seem to understand how quickly you lose any compassion for those who have no compassion, respect, or care in the world for you. Many on this forum don't seem to understand the lasting psychological toll they take on you. Chaos is an apt word.

It's fair to suggest that wanting them to just "go away" isn't a valid solution, but suggesting to people who no longer feel safe in their neighbourhood or even homes that they should just put up with it is what lacks compassion to me.

An often missing point of view that I think gets lost in the crossfire, is that the vast majority of homeless people who do not fall into this category are forced into close proximity and sharing resources with these "bad" people. They are suffering from far greater safety concerns and far more extreme psychological stress than the general public, just so we can say we are "compassionate".

"I don't have a problem with the good homeless people" is one of those good sounding but problematic statements because it ascribes intrinsic motivations to things which are often extrinsic. If I didn't have money for my next meal, and I am living on the street starving, and I see the opportunity, I'm am going to steal to keep myself alive. Anyone who doesn't accept that about themselves is, frankly, lying to themselves.

I think it's likely that most of us would also do drugs if we're living on the street, in a freezing tent with an empty stomach....someone offers us something to give us relief from this horrific and unending situation...I think a lot more of us would take that than we'd admit to ourselves.

So to say "these people are bad, and I hate them, but homeless people who aren't bad I don't hate" leaves aside the fact that the fact that people are homeless influences their behaviour.

But I completely agree with the rest. It is an intolerable situation, obviously much worse for some, but not a good solution for anyone. What I will say is that I've had a number personal items stolen from me, and that does not feel good, but I also put belongings well below the importance of safety and health of people, and I really don't think everyone does.

If the Provincial Government would raise welfare rates so that it covers the actual cost of renting an apartment, I am sure that a significant percentage of the homeless population would move into stable housing. Including, I think, many of those with substance abuse problems. After all, nobody complains about all the cocaine-snorting stockbrokers or alcoholic suburban housewives who aren't congregating on downtown streets.
(05-15-2023, 02:31 AM)dtkvictim Wrote: It's fair to suggest that wanting them to just "go away" isn't a valid solution, but suggesting to people who no longer feel safe in their neighbourhood or even homes that they should just put up with it is what lacks compassion to me.

I don't think anyone (here, at least) is suggesting that "they should just put up with it". Rather, we have pointed out that this is a real societal issue with no easy solutions, and blaming the city, a charitable organization or a developer (who is trying to help resolve this) is not going to help the situation.

We have no silver bullet for this, all we can do is work toward better solutions for both the people sleeping in the rough and people who are not sleeping outside but cannot afford their own apartments or houses. I am encouraged that our city and region at least recognize these problems and are making attempts at improving the situation, even if more work still needs to be done.
(05-15-2023, 11:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-15-2023, 02:31 AM)dtkvictim Wrote: It's fair to suggest that wanting them to just "go away" isn't a valid solution, but suggesting to people who no longer feel safe in their neighbourhood or even homes that they should just put up with it is what lacks compassion to me.

I don't think anyone (here, at least) is suggesting that "they should just put up with it". Rather, we have pointed out that this is a real societal issue with no easy solutions, and blaming the city, a charitable organization or a developer (who is trying to help resolve this) is not going to help the situation.

We have no silver bullet for this, all we can do is work toward better solutions for both the people sleeping in the rough and people who are not sleeping outside but cannot afford their own apartments or houses. I am encouraged that our city and region at least recognize these problems and are making attempts at improving the situation, even if more work still needs to be done.

I dunno...as far as social issues go, housing first is as close to a silver bullet as I've seen anywhere else.
While this is about a specific (American) incident, I think the overall points in the article addressed well much of what's being discussed in this thread - for those interested in reading: https://darrellowens.substack.com/p/ment...essness-on
(05-15-2023, 11:22 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote: While this is about a specific (American) incident, I think the overall points in the article addressed well much of what's being discussed in this thread - for those interested in reading: https://darrellowens.substack.com/p/ment...essness-on

It's a good article, and really covers the main issues.

I think my biggest take away from the incident was that the specific incident is not that illustrative...random "killings" happen from time to time, we can't for sure know the motivations of the man, and the jury should be tasked with that job.

What IS illustrative about the incident is the media and political response. Where a significant portion of the US punditry and political class are arguing that killing someone (intentionally or not) is a perfectly acceptable response to a disruptive "other" person. This attitude is the most dangerous thing the GOP has been doing, and it's not a new thing. From the various states which have legalized stand your ground murders, intentionally driving your car through protestors, driving a heavily armed teenager to murder people at a protest, the GOP is increasingly sanctioning killing people, and that is the first (or maybe, second, or third) step to genocide/fascism.

It's been said before, but it's worth saying again...Americans who wonder how they would have acted in 1930s Germany...they have their answer. Americans need to be at the polls, but also in the streets. The GOP bringing them moderate prosperity cannot be enough to placate the people, or we will live through truly dark times.
(05-15-2023, 11:21 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-15-2023, 11:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think anyone (here, at least) is suggesting that "they should just put up with it". Rather, we have pointed out that this is a real societal issue with no easy solutions, and blaming the city, a charitable organization or a developer (who is trying to help resolve this) is not going to help the situation.

I dunno...as far as social issues go, housing first is as close to a silver bullet as I've seen anywhere else.

It's the best solution, yes. Still not a 100% solution, though. And, so far, the political will to do that has been absent in Ontario.

Building more houses is the only bullet we've seen so far, and I think it's very revealing when you compare cost of living and housing availability in cities that make it easy to build housing vs cities that don't, and then spend all their tax money on homelessness programs that don't make any progress.

Build more!
local cambridge weirdo
(05-15-2023, 11:22 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote: While this is about a specific (American) incident, I think the overall points in the article addressed well much of what's being discussed in this thread - for those interested in reading: https://darrellowens.substack.com/p/ment...essness-on

That's an excellent article. The specifics are different here (we didn't have to deal with Nixon or Reagan cuts) but the intersection of poverty, mental health issues and homelessness applies here, too. I'm looking forward to the second part.
My Cambridge City councillor, Adam Cooper, posted this truly rambling letter he sent to the Region about the encampments in downtown Cambridge. He posted it in the “Neighbourhood Watch” group on Facebook that has quite a history of not being very friendly* to the homeless or interested in CTS, etc.

This is how low the bar is for local government here. This man routinely rants against new housing and yet is claiming to be a white knight, defending the poor taxpayer against the results of our housing policy. And yet the longer we do nothing, the more ammunition these people have against obvious crime and disorder. I'm just waiting for the follow up policy suggestion where we propose moving all the homeless to the next city and calling it mission accomplished.

*straight-up misanthropic

Quote:Some of you have been asking where I stand on the issue of the 150 Main St encampment as well as the related problems downtown.
I hope this will clear it up for you.

This is a message I sent last night to all regional councillors...

Dear Regional Councillors,

I am Adam Cooper, Councillor for the City of Cambridge. I urge all of you to read this message to the end.

As you are all likely aware from recent media articles and the influx of concerned resident emails, there have been numerous criminal and dangerous incidents occurring in and around the encampment at 150 Main St, Cambridge.

We have seen numerous fights, tents being set on fire with people in them, assaults with weapons including an axe, knives and machetes. We have seen the disturbing videos of these incidents that are now making the rounds on local news and social media. To those of us that live here, this is nothing new nor are these isolated cases... they are just the tip of the iceberg.

I have spoken to numerous homeowners on Shade St and the surrounding neighbourhood. I have personally seen the horrific circumstances that those living next to this encampment are having to endure day after day, night after night. I have seen video incidents of encampment residents slamming on the doors of local homes, sometimes in groups.

Terrifying experiences of drug-intoxicated campers screaming threats of violence toward the public are a common occurrence, as is children being harassed and traumatized as they go to and from school. I have personally been threatened with having my head cut off just for not complying with demands to hand over money.

I am going to show all of you the courtesy and respect of being blunt and direct with you throughout this message. This situation has become dangerous, uncontrollable, unacceptable, and it needs to end immediately. This encampment needs to be removed for the safety of both campers and local residents alike.

I, along with all of you, have sworn an oath to act in the best interest of those I represent. What is happening at 150 Main St can in no possible way be construed to be in the best interest of either the residents of the encampment or the families of the surrounding community. This is a dangerous place to be. This fact has been demonstrated over and over again to the continuing frustration and anger of the innocent people that have to live with these consequences.

To try to sell the concept to the public and media that this encampment is a place of any kind of safety and refuge for the poor homeless of our community is at minimum a lesson in government ignorance and at worst a disgusting display of abandonment of duty and a shocking indifference to the plight of the very people that we have all sworn to represent.

Anybody that lives anywhere near this location will tell you what can easily be witnessed by simply visiting it, that this place is a lawless haven for extremely violent criminal elements and drug related chaos at a disturbing level. The mass of stolen property sits as clear evidence of the exploitation and victimization of the local community at the hands of criminals that have no fear of prosecution or any consequence whatsoever. These people are preying on our community night after night as they have done since this encampment began a year ago.

It is never right to try to help one group while trampling on the rights and safety of everybody else yet this is exactly what is happening at 150 Main St. The residents in this area have rights and your inaction on this matter will only further endanger them and inflame their growing anger at what the region is forcing them to endure. I ask you all, would you place this outside your own front door? Would you force this on your family and friends? Would you force this on your elderly parents?

Make no mistake, this is wrong and undeniably unacceptable. The question is whether Waterloo Region will acknowledge this mistake and clear it out peacefully and expediently, or will you wait until there is a dead body, sexual assault or another serious violent assault on a local homeowner or child to motivate you to move on this matter? The other option is that the local community forces its closure. The latter will happen if you fail to act appropriately.

I urge you all to listen to what is happening there and stop the years-long pattern of Waterloo Regional Council and special interest groups deciding from outside of our city just how much danger and trauma the residents of downtown Galt should be willing to endure.

I will always prioritize the rights and safety of the families I represent over those that choose to live off their victimization, as should all of you if you have any level of compassion for our community and truly value the oath you swore last year.

Those with the real power in this community are the people and they will force the removal of this encampment if you do not do it yourselves. Unfortunately, you have completely lost their trust and respect in this matter. This is just the beginning. They will not stop bringing attention to this matter. I highly support them in this cause and will aid them in any way I can until this has been resolved to their satisfaction. What is being done to them is wrong and they deserve nothing less.

Their mental health is at a breaking point and they want their safety and that of their families to be returned. They want to be able to walk outside their front door again without fear. They want their children to walk to school without being terrified as they do so. They want to sleep at night without hearing their property being robbed or awakening to drug-fueled screaming and fighting right outside their front doors.

They also want this to stop before more people get hurt, whether they be local citizens who incur their wrath simply by walking by, or the campers themselves due to their regular violent conflicts with each other.

Judge Valente’s decision should not be used as an excuse for inaction against a clear danger to your constituents. His decision applied to the Kitchener encampment and does not apply to 150 Main St for numerous reasons which I won’t go into detail here but most notably that there is a clear public safety issue present as well as this statement regarding the Victoria St encampment...

“I find that there is no need in the case of the (Victoria St) encampment to balance their needs with the rights of the Region’s other residents.... the Property is not a park or other space designed with the purpose of being enjoyed by the public at large. Instead, the Property is a vacant lot to be used by the Region as a temporary parking lot and lay down construction area at some undefined future date. Therefore, based on these facts, there is no need to consider how the impact of the Encampment residents sheltering overnight may impair the interests and rights of other residents of the Region.”

As well as showing a disturbing lack of empathy toward our local community, this statement and its direction to ignore the rights of other residents does not apply to 150 Main St as it is located in a functioning parking lot that is used by the public and many employees of the health services building.

The rights of the residents absolutely do matter and no elected official should need a judge’s decision to understand that. It is our job and duty to act accordingly to protect those rights, particularly when the safety of those residents is being threatened.

Waterloo Region’s own policy on encampment removal states that “...In exceptional circumstances, however, more immediate intervention may be required to address public safety concerns.”

I am respectfully asking all of you to understand that this location has proven itself time and time again to be a public safety concern of the highest degree and it should be acted on as such.

The ball is now in your court. You all need to be on the right side of this situation. Give this community their safety and peace of mind back by doing what is right and closing this encampment before this awful situation gets any worse than it already is.
Thank you for your time and consideration,
Adam Cooper
Councillor, City of Cambridge
local cambridge weirdo
It's one thing to suggest to close the encampments for safety. It's a valid concern. However, most of the homeless and/or addict population do not actively go out of their way to harm regular people. And if safety is really this councillors concern, then what about the safety of those sleeping rough or abusing illicit drugs cut with god knows what? We definitely need to get rid of the encampments because they are unsightly and dangerous in their own way (danger to those living in them, public health safety etc) but unless there are options to solve the issues that cause them in the first place, closing them does nothing. Those homeless are still going to be out there living life their own way. To say the safety of families and children walking to school is his concern then he's just being a classist asshole, as - to me anyway - that implies he sees those suffering from homelessness, mental/physical health problems and substance abuse issues as lesser people.
(06-06-2023, 06:34 PM)bravado Wrote: My Cambridge City councillor, Adam Cooper, posted this truly rambling letter he sent to the Region about the encampments in downtown Cambridge. He posted it in the “Neighbourhood Watch” group on Facebook that has quite a history of not being very friendly* to the homeless or interested in CTS, etc.

This is how low the bar is for local government here. This man routinely rants against new housing and yet is claiming to be a white knight, defending the poor taxpayer against the results of our housing policy. And yet the longer we do nothing, the more ammunition these people have against obvious crime and disorder. I'm just waiting for the follow up policy suggestion where we propose moving all the homeless to the next city and calling it mission accomplished.

*straight-up misanthropic

Quote:Some of you have been asking where I stand on the issue of the 150 Main St encampment as well as the related problems downtown.
I hope this will clear it up for you.

This is a message I sent last night to all regional councillors...

Dear Regional Councillors,

I am Adam Cooper, Councillor for the City of Cambridge. I urge all of you to read this message to the end.
[clip ....]

Man, that's pretty bad. I mean...leaving aside the extreme hyperbole (there is violence to be sure, but only the most naive person who has never watched more than G rated TV would call it "extremely violent"....or a dishonest person), and the utter contemptible lack of empathy for calling "living near" the encampment "horrific" but having no sympathy for the people in the encampment, and the typical Cambridge trope of whining about regional council being "governed from outside"....leaving all that aside, the letter is as you say, poorly written and rambling...he implores you to read till the end, but doesn't pay that off...the end has nothing of value added, just more repetition of his complaints.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »