Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Patrick's celebrations
(09-08-2018, 09:49 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: A lot of municipalities (ours included) allow for online payments through a third party website provider.  (paytickets.ca)  They add an extra fee to the cost of the ticket to cover their service.  

What it looks like they are doing in Kingston, instead of issuing a normal yellow ticket (Provincial Offence Notice - Part I, they issue a pink ticket (Provincial Offence Notice - Part III).  The part III is a summons to court, and doesn't have a set fine attached to it.  Part I's have a set fine limit of $500.  Part III's have a limit of $5000.  For example, a charge of stunt driving would be done on a Part III.

I'm sure this is being done solely as a pain in the ass factor, to tie everyone up in court for a day in hopes that behaviour improves.  I'm mixed on this.  If it works, great.... but it wastes the court's time as well.  Part III's are supposed to be for serious/repeat violations, not nuisance charges.  

The big stick lies in the fact that if the person fails to attend for their court date, there is a warrant issued for their arrest, and comes with a more serious failure to attend court charge.  This is common practice in Alberta... I see warrants for arrest all the time for "Dog Run At Large - Winnipeg" and have to shake my head... waste of my time, especially since I know Alberta police aren't coming out here to effect the arrest.

Coke

Students at Queen's will also face additional internal university charges and consequences are possible.

I've always wondered how Port Dover managed to embrace Friday the 13th.  From the Port Dover Friday the 13th website site, things began simply enough: 

Quote:Against the backdrop, Chris Simons and approximately 25 friends, through word of mouth, got together at the Commerical Hotel {The Zoo}, now known as Angelos of Dover. It was in November and it was Friday the 13th. They had such a good time they decided they should do it every Friday the 13th. And so the tradition was born.

Every Friday the 13th thereafter, the number of people coming to the event has increased. Chris has a suitcase full of newspaper and magazine clippings regarding Friday the 13th and he has become somewhat of a celebrity because of it. Everywhere he goes, people have heard of Friday the 13th in Port Dover.

These days, if the weather is warm, 100,000+ people descend on the town of 6700 people.  Mind you, the demographics are little different, according to the National Post a couple of years ago:

Quote:Bikers come from all over North America, even Europe. It is a pleasant mixture of hard rock bikers and retired accountants and dentists. There’s a festival atmosphere; bike gangs are not allowed to wear their colours. However, if the sun is shining there’ll be more exposed skin than is normally found in downtown Port Dover.

Maybe invite some of those early St. Patrick's partiers back for a reunion?
Every judge in Kingston must hate this. Busy day.

But if it works...
So are we soon going to see the attempt to make Homecoming "celebrations" "official" but yet it won't change anything?

Things seem to be getting out of control.
And yet the University of Waterloo homecoming celebrations the previous weekend didn't raise a single peep from what I can tell...
(10-01-2018, 03:14 PM)nms Wrote: And yet the University of Waterloo homecoming celebrations the previous weekend didn't raise a single peep from what I can tell...

Indeed.  Despite the fact that it had, if anything, more problematic behaviour than St. Patricks Day, given the sign that was hung from one house.
Western's Fake Homecoming Event

Many people are quick to rip Laurier for events like St. Patrick's Day that happen and get out of control. They're not alone as the giant party syndrome seems to be present on many campuses. Here are some highlights from Western's FOCO weekend drunk .... #FOCO Fake Homecoming Weekend 

"Police estimated 20,000 people amassed for Fake-Homecoming festivities this past weekend, inciting over 3,000 warnings and 130 notices."

"Overall, police issued 134 provincial offence notices to 132 people, as well as 3,146 warnings. This cost London police more than $100,000, nearly double last year, and included funding assistance from 30 York Regional Police officers while overall police presence tripled. The London Fire Department joined police this year, laying 30 Fire Code violations — for overcrowding and people partying on rooftops — and they anticipate to lay up to 300 pending further investigations." 

"Fifty-two people were hospitalized for FOCO-related issues, including one man who sustained critical injuries after jumping off a roof — 15 more than last year's total."

London police "said they would be in contact with Queen's University to asses the effectiveness of their new initiative that forces students to appear in court upon receiving a ticket during Homecoming."

WLU parties cost police more than $500,000

Quote:Waterloo Regional Police spent more than $200,000 to manage the street party at Wilfrid Laurier University's homecoming.

Nearly half of the $221,500 total cost was overtime to pay for extra officers to work that day.

When you add policing costs for the St. Patrick's Day party on Ezra Avenue, police spent more than $550,000 on street parties at Laurier in 2018.

Quote:Larkin said that, ironically, the service appears to be the "victim" of its success in policing the parties.

"Over the years, we provided a safe environment and, quite frankly, I have been more than tolerable," Larkin said in an interview after the meeting.

"Some would accuse me of being more moderate and more accommodating as the chief of police, and I accept that."

Larkin said the service is leading a dialogue involving other police services and Ontario university administrators to talk about controlling student parties.

He noted that the unsanctioned parties on Ezra Avenue are relatively safe considering the large numbers of partygoers. Those who say it's chaotic and the party is not under control are wrong, he said.

But the ever-growing parties on Ezra need to stop, he said.

"I would like to take the half a million dollars and invest it other initiatives," he said. "It's time to move on."

Board chair Tom Galloway said "a line has been crossed" when police have to pay for extra officers to come from out of town to help with containing the crowds.

"Where does the community responsibility end and the institution's responsibility start?" he asked.

Let me start by saying, I have no idea what the solution is. But this is a HUGE issue.

As a tax payer, I'm beyond pissed. A half a million dollars? Are you kidding me.

Larkin seems to be approaching the "no more Mr nice guy" line.
(11-23-2018, 11:39 AM)Spokes Wrote: Let me start by saying, I have no idea what the solution is.  But this is a HUGE issue.

As a tax payer, I'm beyond pissed.  A half a million dollars? Are you kidding me.

Larkin seems to be approaching the "no more Mr nice guy" line.

That's half a million dollars annually.
How many street parties have there been? St. Patricks Day and Homecoming? Either way WLU/UW should be paying for this after a certain point, even if they try to wash their hands of the problem.
(11-23-2018, 01:01 PM)jamincan Wrote: How many street parties have there been? St. Patricks Day and Homecoming? Either way WLU/UW should be paying for this after a certain point, even if they try to wash their hands of the problem.

I don't see how or why.
(11-23-2018, 01:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 01:01 PM)jamincan Wrote: How many street parties have there been? St. Patricks Day and Homecoming? Either way WLU/UW should be paying for this after a certain point, even if they try to wash their hands of the problem.

I don't see how or why.

Legally I'm sure they don't have to. Ultimately, though, these parties are a byproduct of their business and are costing the community lots of money to deal with. It's not unusual for businesses that cause undue burden on their community to provide some form of compensation or take steps to mitigate the problem. I don't really see this as being all that different.

The universities will definitely try to take a hands off, we're not responsible, approach to this. So what do you do, just quadruple the fines issued to party goers?
I believe some candidates in the municipal election were floating the concept of legitimizing these parties and having them run with revenue to offset their costs. I don't know how feasible that would be, but it seems more sustainable than what we're currently doing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »