Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
I don't believe the LPAT is simply between developers and municipalities. Look at The One Hundred.

Neighbourhood Association?

I received a response from LPAT regarding this shown below :
By-law No.2018-071 amends Zoning By-law 85-1 which changes the existing zoning of the subject lands generally North of King St., East of Moore Ave., South of Wellington St. and West of Waterloo St. in the City of Kitchener, from Residential Five Zones (r-5_ with Special Use Provisions 129U abd 411U to High Intensity Mixed Use Corridor Zone (MU-3) with Special Use Provision 468U and Special Regulation Provisions 716R and 717R and from Industrial Residential Zone (M-1) to High Intensity Mixed Use Corridor (MU-3) with Special Use Provision 465U and Special Regulation Provisions 716R, 717R and 718R. These changes would permit the owner to build a new office building, parking garage, a new privately owned park at the corner of Moore Ave. and Wellington St. North, and the reconfiguration of the existing lane.

A local resident has appealed the passing of this bylaw which why there is an LPAT appeal.
Very unfortunate to hear a resident has appealed this project.
I have yet to see an urban office tower built in Waterloo Region and I have lived here for 12 years.
You'll be seeing one finished I think in the next 1 - 1.5 years on King in Kitchener! Well, it may not qualify as a 'tower'...I think mid-rise at 5 floors?
Six floor, iirc. The last office tower built in DTK would be the "Dolly Parton Building" at King and Ontario. What was that, over 25 years ago? And its twin was never built.
I think that, if we're being literal (and this is the internet so clearly we must), a tower is taller than it is wide or long. I don't think 345 King W satisfies that requirement, and probably Phase 2 of the Breithaupt Block didn't either because the original building has at least one fairly long dimension.
(01-11-2019, 01:00 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Very unfortunate to hear a resident has appealed this project.
I have yet to see an urban office tower built in Waterloo Region and I have lived here for 12 years.

Unfortunate, but not the least bit surprising

If they have to spend the money on a hearing, they should take it back to the original plan. That would be interesting.
Sorry what's the basis of the resident appealing?
(01-14-2019, 12:38 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Sorry what's the basis of the resident appealing?

Shadows, can't see the sky, noise, potential for Twinkies being tossed down off top of building onto parked Corvettes in driveways.
(01-14-2019, 12:38 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Sorry what's the basis of the resident appealing?

Progress...  it is very scary..
(01-11-2019, 09:29 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: If they have to spend the money on a hearing, they should take it back to the original plan. That would be interesting.

Can you imagine that was the LPAT's ruling.  I'd laugh so hard.
If an individual is unsuccessful in an appeal, is LPAT able to order them to pay the developer's/municipality's costs?

I would think legal fees yes. Assuming they operate like any other court system
(03-11-2019, 11:35 AM)nms Wrote: I guess the developers walked away with $50 million while people at street level get to deal with missing amenities until the money is found again. I can't believe that the developers would have felt an incentive to discount their units by the amount that the City allowed them to save. There are lots of places that Kitchener could spend $50 million. Kitchener will be playing catch up for a while.

Context?

In other news, looks like a settlement here:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/921...rs-appeal/

I'm not totally clear on what the result is, not sure what they mean by "offsite" vs. "underground" parking, if it's offsite, it probably won't be underground.  I suspect this still doesn't disallow surface parking.

Either way, it seems probably not a bad thing on the whole--the discussion remaining does seem to focus on the parking garage, but I'm still rather suspicious of any neighbourhood opposing development.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »