Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Region approves supervised injection sites, Cambridge immediately bans them.
Yesterday morning the region finally approved the supervised injection sites that have been discussed for many years, targeting a May start date for services in Kitchener and Cambridge.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/838...ion-sites/

Quote:WATERLOO REGION — Waterloo Region will start looking at potential locations for supervised injection sites. Councillors agreed unanimously at a special council meeting Tuesday to go ahead with the next step of pursuing supervised injection services. They deferred a motion by Cambridge Mayor Doug Craig asking that the city's three core areas be excluded when considering locations.

In response, Cambridge city council passed a special bylaw prohibiting supervised injection sites in the cores for at least a year. The councillor who relayed this information indicates the city has received a legal opinion that their bylaw can override the region and Public Health. It seems like there is going to be a lot of legal wrangling before the region will see an SIS in Cambridge where it is sorely needed.
[Image: mus5hLY.jpg]

And yet again, Kitchener will take on more burden of social responsibility. And we will listen to people in Waterloo trash our DTK because of the influx of people seeking out social services...
The region should just do it anyway, what is Cambridge gonna do? Ticket the region?
Honestly, I don't mind. SISs are a clear positive for Kitchener and the region as a whole, even if Cambridge wants to drag its heels.

I was thinking about this yesterday, and in a way, I think having multiple local municipalities in the region means that there's room for one (Kitchener) to be innovative and lead the pack. I wonder if progress like SISs or LRT would be more difficult if we had a single-tier municipality.
(04-11-2018, 06:57 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: And yet again, Kitchener will take on more burden of social responsibility.   And we will listen to people in Waterloo trash our DTK because of the influx of people seeking out social services...

Do those Waterloo residents also trash downtown Toronto or Vancouver?  Probably not.  More than likely they spend quality time enjoying what downtown Toronto has to offer.
This is a Regional issue. There should have been SIS in each of the three cities. You would be surprised at how many University students would take advantage of it. Plus, it would remove any stigma from a particular city. I agree with Jamincan that this could be a positive step in forward thinking. I do appreciate Cambridge's position of trying to keep out of the core however, the realities are they need to be close to them. Perhaps as long as they are very close to the LRT, part of the program could include passes for transit ???
That is not what was approved at all. Regional council approved moving ahead with the next phase of the study; that is it.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(04-11-2018, 07:36 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 06:57 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: And yet again, Kitchener will take on more burden of social responsibility.   And we will listen to people in Waterloo trash our DTK because of the influx of people seeking out social services...

Do those Waterloo residents also trash downtown Toronto or Vancouver?  Probably not.  More than likely they spend quality time enjoying what downtown Toronto has to offer.

Nah, he's right. Waterloo trash talks DTK, that's no secret. That's why is "Uptown" Waterloo.

I think everyone trash talks Downtown Vancouver, no secret they have their seedy places. No comment on Toronto, last time I was in downtown Toronto (couple weeks ago) it took me 2 hours to move 1 km. No time to enjoy anything there.

As for the region, they should have a SIS in all three cities, whether they like it or not. Kitchener at least will accept this as its destiny. And hopefully it'll be a better outcome for the drug addicts.
(04-11-2018, 08:12 AM)jeffster Wrote: Nah, he's right. Waterloo trash talks DTK, that's no secret. That's why is "Uptown" Waterloo.

Wait, what? Uptown is Uptown because it's uptown. How is that trash talking? You have Uptown and Downtown; they're just opposite ends of one pole. I don't think it has any value implications.
I would have to disagree with you on that. Many of my friends live in Waterloo and they would openly tell you in any group setting that "Uptown" is uptown for a distinctly different reason. They will tell you that they would never go to DTK because it is "gorse and unsafe". Of course when I challenge them on these statements they have no real quantifiable facts to back their statements up. sigh....
(04-11-2018, 08:18 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 08:12 AM)jeffster Wrote: Nah, he's right. Waterloo trash talks DTK, that's no secret. That's why is "Uptown" Waterloo.

Wait, what? Uptown is Uptown because it's uptown. How is that trash talking? You have Uptown and Downtown; they're just opposite ends of one pole. I don't think it has any value implications.

Maybe, but I don't think that was the idea Waterloo had. By definition, 'uptown' means "in or towards the northern part of a city or town, especially if there is not much business or industry there". Though in the caveat that it's a pricier part of town as well. Although perhaps strictly speaking, it's accurate of Waterloo.

Having lived in both cities equally, (as well as The Hammer, and Scarborough), though, you notice the pride for the 'uptown', even if it referred to the entire city. It was the same in Hamilton, you either live "up the mountain" or "down the mountain". "Up the mountain" was always considered the better. I lived "up the mountain", so you wore that with a lot of pride, even if there was almost next to nothing (other than Limeridge) up the mountain. When I was in Toronto (Scarborough), you sort of didn't tell people where you were from. Scarborough was like the child no one wanted...the last kid picked on the baseball team. I was younger and was told to tell people that I was from Toronto if they asked.

Really, there are good and bad area's in all cities. There were shady area's up the mountain, there were beautiful area's in Scarborough. Plus we have the zoo there. We were in the Golden Mile area (nearby was Eglinton Square).

Brantford to a much lesser extent, mostly it was the DTB was 'shady' and places West of the Grand or North of the 403 were "good".
As long as I can remember, it's been called "Uptown Waterloo" for the very reason Jamincan said. While there certainly are some Waterloo people who will trash talk Kitchener (and in fact there are Kitchener people who trash talk Waterloo), I have never heard anyone make any claim that the reason it is called "uptown" is to denigrate downtown Kitchener. I don't buy that.
(04-11-2018, 11:39 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: As long as I can remember, it's been called "Uptown Waterloo" for the very reason Jamincan said. While there certainly are some Waterloo people who will trash talk Kitchener (and in fact there are Kitchener people who trash talk Waterloo), I have never heard anyone  make any claim that the reason it is called "uptown" is to denigrate downtown Kitchener. I don't buy that.

So in which case my sentence: """By definition, ""uptown"" means "in or towards the northern part of a city or town, especially if there is not much business or industry there". Though in the caveat that it's a pricier part of town as well. Although perhaps strictly speaking, it's accurate of Waterloo.""" is fairly accurate?

Words have power and "up" is a positive direction, so there's a possible systemic bias in place, even if unintentional.

To the topic of safe and supervised injection sites, I am of the opinion that Hospitals should be required to provide room on their premises for them. That would take care of a lot of the access, safety, staffing, and location concerns, no?
(04-11-2018, 11:39 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: As long as I can remember, it's been called "Uptown Waterloo" for the very reason Jamincan said. While there certainly are some Waterloo people who will trash talk Kitchener (and in fact there are Kitchener people who trash talk Waterloo), I have never heard anyone  make any claim that the reason it is called "uptown" is to denigrate downtown Kitchener. I don't buy that.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when they did change to Uptown Waterloo.  It was to separate itself from Downtown Kitchener.  If people in the Kitchener/Waterloo area said Downtown,  they had to preface with the name Kitchener Downtown.  When they were selling it to counsel, they did reference s well it had a "cleaner" image to it.

If you look up in The Record, I am sure you will find the articles that support it.  I think it was around the late 70's
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »