Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Shawarma - Döner kebab - Gyros
I love a good Shawarma wrap. Besides pizza, it is one of my favourite fast foods.  Luckily for me, shawarma joints have been popping up all over Waterloo Region.

According to Wikipedia, this vertical rotisserie method of cooking meat originated in Turkey in the 19th century where it is called Döner kebab.  Arabs call it shawarma and Greeks call it gyros.  Mexicans have a version called tacos al pastor. I've tried them all except al pastor.

My favourite shawarma place at the moment is Highland Halal Shawarma.  Unfortunately they only have three stools at a bar for eating but I noticed most customers just do take-out.  I also really like the shawarma (wrap or plate) at Zay Zaman Restaurant in the Lancaster Street Plaza.  I really like the freshly baked Saj bread they use for some of the wraps.  Another favourite is Babylon Tower on Weber Street East.  They also use freshly baked Saj bread and other flat breads which are so delicious I have friends who go there only to order some flat bread to take home.  Phat Cat in the University Plaza used to have really good doner/gyros but they are no longer there.  I haven't tried Saj Time on University Ave East but it's next on my list.

So I started this thread hoping to get some info on your favourite shawarma restaurants.

I've really like Highland Halal Shawarma in the past, but don't have occasion to go through there as often anymore. Lately I've been going to Uncle's Shawarma in the plaza at Bridge and University. A little pricey, but it's good and I like the proprietors.
(05-02-2018, 09:32 AM)jamincan Wrote: I've really like Highland Halal Shawarma in the past, but don't have occasion to go through there as often anymore.  Lately I've been going to Uncle's Shawarma in the plaza at Bridge and University. A little pricey, but it's good and I like the proprietors.

I second Highland Halal, its fantastic!
Third for Highland Halal, friendly staff and great shawarma. Helps that it is close to home as well. Smile

I also really like Arabesque and Shawarma Royale.
Shawarma Star on Max Becker opened up about a month ago and is pretty tasty.
They need to setup a good donair spot here.
I've recently become a big fan of 1001 Nights, which is out by St. Mary's (Block Line and Homer Watson). It's my favourite place right now.

My preferred place downtown is Queen Shawarma, across from Charles St. Terminal.

Ace Shawarma used to be amazing, was not great for a long while, and sometime in the past year or so while I wasn't paying attention became decent again. Their tikka masala is really solid, too.

Rana's (University near King) has really good donair, and the owners are genuinely nice people which goes a long way.

I haven't been to Mozy's or Highland Halal recently enough to compare, they're both just far enough outside of my usual paths that I just get sucked in by the gravity of my favourites.

(05-02-2018, 08:50 AM)jgsz Wrote: I love a good Shawarma wrap. Besides pizza, it is one of my favourite fast foods.  Luckily for me, shawarma joints have been popping up all over Waterloo Region.

According to Wikipedia, this vertical rotisserie method of cooking meat originated in Turkey in the 19th century where it is called Döner kebab.  Arabs call it shawarma and Greeks call it gyros.  Mexicans have a version called tacos al pastor. I've tried them all except al pastor.

My favourite shawarma place at the moment is Highland Halal Shawarma.  Unfortunately they only have three stools at a bar for eating but I noticed most customers just do take-out.  I also really like the shawarma (wrap or plate) at Zay Zaman Restaurant in the Lancaster Street Plaza.  I really like the freshly baked Saj bread they use for some of the wraps.  Another favourite is Babylon Tower on Weber Street East.  They also use freshly baked Saj bread and other flat breads which are so delicious I have friends who go there only to order some flat bread to take home.  Phat Cat in the University Plaza used to have really good doner/gyros but they are no longer there.  I haven't tried Saj Time on University Ave East but it's next on my list.

So I started this thread hoping to get some info on your favourite shawarma restaurants.

Thanks, I'll try Highland Halal Shawarma next...gotta love a good Gyro...

1001 Nights is good too, right beside the Take 5....
My go to at the moment is Highland Halal. I would also endorse 1001 Nights (especially if dining in - the servings are big). Mozy's Shawarma on University would also be on my list, but the parking lot there is tedious.
(05-02-2018, 04:18 PM)jeffster Wrote: Thanks, I'll try Highland Halal Shawarma next...gotta love a good Gyro...

1001 Nights is good too, right beside the Take 5....

Take 5 closed recently, I think just at the beginning of March.
(05-02-2018, 09:32 AM)jamincan Wrote: I've really like Highland Halal Shawarma in the past, but don't have occasion to go through there as often anymore.  Lately I've been going to Uncle's Shawarma in the plaza at Bridge and University. A little pricey, but it's good and I like the proprietors.

Is there seating at Uncle's Shawarma?  Or is it mainly take-out like Highland Halal Shawarma?
There is seating, but the focus is clearly takeout.
The last Shawarma I went out for was chicken and I was surprised that was the only option (not that I don't like chicken). Do the places mentioned here have multiple meat spits/options? To me that would be an important part of the topic.

I’ve seen beef at a few places.
Shawarma Star
Lazeez
There is a place on Lancaster that occasionally has Lamb Shawarma.
Beef is available at Arabesque for sure.

I want to say Highland Halal does as well, but I always get chicken and don't really pay attention to the other options. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »