Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo City Council Election Discussion

I laughed when I saw some people like his platform idea wanting to limit alcohol licenses moving forward. People, he's a bar owner. He's trying to limit the competition haha
(10-22-2018, 02:22 AM)Spokes Wrote: I laughed when I saw some people like his platform idea wanting to limit alcohol licenses moving forward.  People, he's a bar owner. He's trying to limit the competition haha

I think he also said something about seeing investments in mass transit as being unnecessary/wasteful because...autonomous vehicles
(10-22-2018, 06:55 PM)YKF Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 02:22 AM)Spokes Wrote: I laughed when I saw some people like his platform idea wanting to limit alcohol licenses moving forward.  People, he's a bar owner. He's trying to limit the competition haha

I think he also said something about seeing investments in mass transit as being unnecessary/wasteful because...autonomous vehicles

well, it looks like whoever was trying* to buy votes for him failed.

* do I have to cover my butt and say "allegedly trying"?
I'll maintain your anonymity. I got your back.
So, does anyone know if tonight's results push the council in a more NIMBY or YIMBY direction?
I know Tenille who was just elected in Uptown was opposed to 70 King North  So take that how you'd like

Yeah, I saw that. But she also used the #yimby hashtag on twitter, which left me confused.
(10-22-2018, 11:28 PM)Veggieburger Wrote: Yeah, I saw that. But she also used the #yimby hashtag on twitter, which left me confused.

Weird?  Do you remember with regards to what?

I wonder what she thinks about the Erb Street condo project?
To be clear, someone can be opposed to a development and not be a NIMBY.
Tenille struck me as a YIMBY during the Rogers debate. She clearly stated what she liked and didn't like about the proposed development.
I'm moreso curious about what her stance on future developments will be like.
Did anyone else see Uptown candidate Devon McKenzie call out winning candidate Tenille Bonoguore at 2am on Twitter last night?  Tweet was removed some time today

Call out for what?
(11-21-2018, 04:51 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Call out for what?

Yes, do tell!!!

Did he blame his loss on Anthony Reinhart pointing out the shady election parties scheduled for his establishment or is this something new?

I would have been shocked if he won. Non-residents are generally a tougher sell, and in general the voting demographics are home-owners and more-permanent-than-student-residents, both of whom are less likely to be attracted to voting for a bar owner compared to other businesses. Add to that his non-appearance to the in-person debate -- which was packed full -- and I would have been shocked if he had placed any higher than he did.

On another fringe-candidate-note: did anyone else find out that the other male Waterloo Mayoral candidate had a private twitter account with a less professional headshot and only 4 followers? When I accidentally found it I tried to figure out a way to get any information but the best I could find was some mentions by other people adding to my suspicions that he comes from the right-wing, possibly alt-right side of the political spectrum. I couldn't' decide whether to bring up the account during the election, but since I didn't think he had a chance of winning I decided not to bother.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »