Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evergreen mall (370 Highland Rd W, Kitchener)
I think something major that might include demolition is happening soon to the Food Basics Plaza On Highland Rd/Lawrence Ave, at least the old Angel's Diner up to the old Dollar Store section. Diapers and More is closing there retail store according to there facebook page it's due to Construction and having to make an immediate decision. Kumon moved a few months ago and now Beat Goes on is moving to a New Waterloo location 341 Weber ST.N next month. There are construction fences throughout the property they seem to be sawing away at some asphalt and all the street plaza signs have been down for Months. I started this thread for any rumors people might hear or if someone finds something online. Any guesses of what's going on?

Lexington Park bought the plaza, new street plaza signs have been up for over a month, There is about to be a major renovation to the plaza fences are around the vacant units except the dollar store, details of reno are on this link. https://www.collaborativestructures.com/plans_room/
Any idea what’s going in here? Drove by the other day and a lot of work has been done. The outer of the Angels was green and I was worried we’re gonna see yet another Dollarama in the area.
Why are you worried about seeing a Dollarama?
(11-09-2018, 12:51 PM)timc Wrote: Why are you worried about seeing a Dollarama?

Not sure if I'd be worried about another Dollarama, but I would be really surprised if that is what it is. There is one at Westmount and Ottawa and at Westmount and Highland, and Evergreen is only 150 meters or so away from Ottawa and Westmount.

Could be a Dollar Tree going in there.
Also a Dollarama at Highland Hills Mall.
There used to be a dollar store in that plaza, I forget the name of it... think it was in the old Jumbo Video space.

Because there’s plenty in the area already? There’s two within a 10 min drive from this plaza. How many do we need in the same stretch.

I’d much rather see a dollar tree if that’s what they're going for.
(11-10-2018, 10:25 AM)summerstar6 Wrote:

Because there’s plenty in the area already? There’s two within a 10 min drive from this plaza. How many do we need in the same stretch.

I’d much rather see a dollar tree if that’s what they're going for.

The demographics of that strip and the adjoining neighbourhoods would say yes to the new store being successful.
I can confirm the rumours and concerns about Dollarama opening in the plaza are true. they have it on the plaza sign. I like Dollarama but I think there going overboard opening this location. This location will be there 22nd Location in Waterloo Region. I'm hoping there at least moving the location Down the street at Westmount and Highland. If not I would say it's pretty obvious there trying to get rid of all there competition. Dollar Tree the second biggest Dollar store chain in Canada (I'm Assuming),only has 5 Locations in Waterloo Region.

The Space beside the Dollarama is going to be Sherwin Williams Paints.
It had better be a move, opening another so close is definitely oversaturation.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was an additional Location. It looks like most of the locations in Cambridge are in the same area of eachother. http://www.dollarama.com/store-locator/
(11-26-2018, 09:50 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if it was an additional Location. It looks like most of the locations in Cambridge are in the same area of eachother. http://www.dollarama.com/store-locator/

Neither would I.

They could keep both or just move the one. But it had me thinking that the clientele of the two (if they keep both open) is quite different. The store at The Shops at Highland is surrounded by mid-rise apartments, for example, so lots of local traffic, while Evergreen Plaza is mostly people driving in doing their weekly shopping.

This is definitely going to be a move. Just look at their terrible presence right now: https://goo.gl/maps/oTM3fs1UwKE2 tiny signage in an awkward, corner unit.
(11-26-2018, 09:50 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if it was an additional Location. It looks like most of the locations in Cambridge are in the same area of eachother. http://www.dollarama.com/store-locator/

I was in the Dollarama, on Hespeler Road at Sheldon Drive, a few weeks back. I spoke with the young woman (most likely a student) who was working on cash about the new Dollarama in the Cambridge Mall. Less than one kilometer apart. 

She worked at both stores and that the Cambridge Mall Dollarama had significantly different stock. The different mall clientele were getting what seemed to her to be be more of the higher priced items and what could be perceived as "better"  stock items based on a different demographic. 

The reality is the retailer needs to drive higher revenue per square foot per year in different locations. Cambridge Mall likely on a higher end lease cost.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »