Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bright Building (749 King St W) | 18 + 3 fl | U/C
Ahaha.

Well - I never heard it was for rental...I heard for purchase but the sales info has been impossible to get...

(07-08-2020, 10:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote: That all requires the neighbouring property-owners to be willing to sell, though. Including the school board.

What properties does the school board own that would be included in this?  The parking lot?
(07-08-2020, 11:55 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 10:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote: That all requires the neighbouring property-owners to be willing to sell, though. Including the school board.

What properties does the school board own that would be included in this?  The parking lot?

I was just musing about the idea of moving the next-door dental centre into a ground-floor commercial space in the new building, and moving both the dental parking lot and the KCI parking lot that is right there into the building’s parking.

Both ideas, especially the KCI one but even the dental centre one, require an unusual level of coordination with nearby properties.

It was just an “if only” comment; I’m not criticizing them for not doing it.

Although I probably will be criticizing them for not including a portico along the front of the property. Tongue
Yeah, it would have been nice. But we could start a petition for a portico, though?
Sample pictures of a portico?
(07-08-2020, 07:26 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Sample pictures of a portico?

https://goo.gl/maps/cqYuZ6uHfHHj4kf56

https://goo.gl/maps/iBExUKxtDxv9sh3Y6
You think any developer in Canada is creative enough for that?

Would love to see it, for a fair amount of square feet not just ground level to a slender condo

(07-08-2020, 09:46 PM)Momo26 Wrote: You think any developer in Canada is creative enough for that?

Would love to see it, for a fair amount of square feet not just ground level to a slender condo

1 Victoria has one along King. It’s pretty lame however because it doesn’t go around the corner onto Victoria (at least not continuously). So it’s clear they are still viewing it as an optional aesthetic feature, where it should be viewed as a more or less mandatory amenity for users and passers-by of the building.

More optimistically, apparently the large development on King between Cameron and Madison will have a portico along at least the King St. frontage (although I’ll believe it when I see it). Of course as far as I am concerned it should be all the way around the entire block — again, it shouldn’t be something that is put in when the architects think it looks good, it should be standard.

If every new development had this, it wouldn’t be long before walking around downtown during a rainstorm would not have to involve getting very wet. With careful design, transit loading could happen under a slight extension of the portico roof too.
(07-08-2020, 08:58 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 07:26 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Sample pictures of a portico?

https://goo.gl/maps/cqYuZ6uHfHHj4kf56

https://goo.gl/maps/iBExUKxtDxv9sh3Y6

That second one is quite interesting because it's not even part of a building but rather just a ~2.5km long covered walkway from the village to the shrine.  An expensive undertaking... but I suppose religious structures have always had big budgets.
Can someone post the renderings for the this building and ground level retail?
(07-25-2020, 10:14 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Can someone post the renderings for the this building and ground level retail?

+1
Has the proposal changed from what is shown at the start of this thread?
I could have sworn I saw some pics of ground level resto/retail that looked GREAT (keep in mind renderings) but I can't find them now. Checked every page of this short thread too.

This is the most recent render I have seen.

Why the white(ish) concrete tho! Reminds me of old school office, think Mutual Life. They used some on the new AAA office in DTK but imo should have just gone all glass/something diff.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »