Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
185 King St S | 7 fl | Proposed
Particulars of Perimeter Developments' office tower have been posted here:

https://www.waterloo.ca/en/calendar/coun...fault.aspx

In the link, click on "Packets" under the June 11, 2018 Committee of the Whole Meeting - sorry, couldn't link this one.

Renderings start on page 38.  Maybe someone can post these.

From the above:

Nice! digging the height, also covers up that weird parking lot wall of circa very nicly.
I like the height, the form and the setbacks.  I wonder what the brown cladding will be?
I'm somewhat concerned by the setbacks.
In this particular case, I think it's good to have a wide sidewalk area in proximity to the LRT station, but in the general case, I worry that the setbacks required by developments are too large, and are symptomatic of zoning that makes would make any parcels smaller than this one completely un-buildable.

I like that the paved areas of the landscaped area actually take into consideration pedestrian desire lines. 45 degree angles that connect between the front door and the crosswalks.
(06-11-2018, 11:20 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I like the height, the form and the setbacks.  I wonder what the brown cladding will be?

I'm really interested to see that too.  I really like this though.  This intersection should be really great in the coming years
It looks like pedestrians coming South on King will have to go all the way to Allen and then double back to access the unit facing King. I think there should be a gap in the garden facing King.

I didn't realize the city was so far along with their decision on the disposition of the ARC lands.
Always a big fan of Perimeter's work and this project is no exception. Looking forward to seeing this become reality.
Office building to go up on site of adult rec centre in Waterloo
Perimeter Development submits winning bid for King Street South property in Waterloo

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/866...-waterloo/
I hope all those trees show up, it's probably the best thing about having huge setbacks.
(06-11-2018, 08:57 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: It looks like pedestrians coming South on King will have to go all the way to Allen and then double back to access the unit facing King. I think there should be a gap in the garden facing King.

I didn't realize those were full planters as opposed to just the trees.  I don't know how I feel about that.  Seems to really block things off doesn't it?
"The area around the station has seen $215 million in new development, and another $135 million proposed."
Still the LRT isn't even running publicly! This area is going to be top notch. Happy with this development and the set back people have mentioned as there are a lot of large buildings in this area.
(06-12-2018, 10:02 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 08:57 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: It looks like pedestrians coming South on King will have to go all the way to Allen and then double back to access the unit facing King. I think there should be a gap in the garden facing King.

I didn't realize those were full planters as opposed to just the trees.  I don't know how I feel about that.  Seems to really block things off doesn't it?

It looks like there is a laneway between this development and the brewery development next door. It looks as if one could walk in via the laneway. However, it equally looks as if the design doesn’t actually anticipate that; a slight adjustment to the exact layout would make it more inviting to walk in that way, rather than having the feeling of borrowing a route intended for motor vehicles.

(06-12-2018, 10:29 AM)Watdot Wrote: "The area around the station has seen $215 million in new development, and another $135 million proposed."
Still the LRT isn't even running publicly!  This area is going to be top notch.  Happy with this development and the set back people have mentioned as there are a lot of large buildings in this area.

The area will certainly be dense by K-W standards.  If they could only role back the clock on those townhouses ....
(06-12-2018, 10:32 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-12-2018, 10:29 AM)Watdot Wrote: "The area around the station has seen $215 million in new development, and another $135 million proposed."
Still the LRT isn't even running publicly!  This area is going to be top notch.  Happy with this development and the set back people have mentioned as there are a lot of large buildings in this area.

The area will certainly be dense by K-W standards.  If they could only role back the clock on those townhouses ....

I think about that on a regular basis.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »