Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
499 Dundas St N | 6 fl | Proposed
Quote:A Mississauga developer wants to transform the former home of a Taco Bell and KFC restaurant on Dundas Street North into a six-storey, multi-residential apartment complex adjacent to a future light rail transit station.

Roman Home Builders Inc. has applied for official plan and zoning bylaw amendments to redevelop 499 Dundas Street North.

Link to Renderings

Link to Planning Justification Report

Link to Urban Design Brief

With Dundas Street's bike lane reconstruction and the eventual LRT appearing nearby, this is a prime location to tear down a Historic™ abandoned KFC/Taco Bell for apartments (not condos).

Highlights:
15 1br units
45 2br units
1 underground parking level
1 above ground parking level
53 parking spaces for 60 units
Balcony for each unit

Existing site:
[Image: 9C8m4rL.png]

Proposed Development:
[Image: u2KyryT.png]
[size=1][Image: k4ytfnT.png][/size]
[size=1][size=1][Image: zUtz3nk.jpg][/size][/size]
local cambridge weirdo

Boring point: Does the Delta intersection count as suburbs or urban areas for the purposes of this forum? Cambridge is a maddening plane of downtowns and sprawl, constantly blending together.
local cambridge weirdo
(07-12-2022, 05:03 PM)bravado Wrote: Boring point: Does the Delta intersection count as suburbs or urban areas for the purposes of this forum? Cambridge is a maddening plane of downtowns and sprawl, constantly blending together.

It is two kilometres from Downtown Galt, so it would count as urban, though it looks suburban.
Loving the greenhouse on top of that proposal. What a great idea!
(07-12-2022, 08:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Loving the greenhouse on top of that proposal.  What a great idea!

I would put money on the green house being the first thing value engineered from this project.
(07-12-2022, 05:03 PM)bravado Wrote: Boring point: Does the Delta intersection count as suburbs or urban areas for the purposes of this forum? Cambridge is a maddening plane of downtowns and sprawl, constantly blending together.

To me, if it's not what we know as Galt - aka downtown Cambridge - it should just be thought of as a suburb/neighbourhood at this point. I get that Hespeler and Preston were independent towns and have their own urban centrepoints but to think of them as downtowns these days is confusing and old fashioned.

For example, it's kind of like areas like Riverdale, York or Parkdale etc in Toronto. They were separate cities/towns at some point and had their own urban areas develop, but after amalgamation they just became neighbourhoods although you can still see what used to be their cores along streets like Eglington or Danforth...but nobody thinks of Eglington in the York area as downtown York.
(07-13-2022, 12:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: ...but nobody thinks of Eglington in the York area as downtown York.

Quite true. On the other hand, that example is most certainly urban.

(07-14-2022, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 12:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: ...but nobody thinks of Eglington in the York area as downtown York.

Quite true. On the other hand, that example is most certainly urban.

True indeed.

I know this forum has discussed the ambiguity of how to define things in this region before. Most here would consider uptown, downtown, the various areas of Cambridge and even the university area as urban. Some also consider anywhere along King/Weber/Charles/Victoria as urban (I know there's a couple threads outside of the cores posted in the urban section). I guess it depends on the person haha. For me in Kitchener-Waterloo I'd say anything "outside" of the expressway/Fischer Hallman ring is suburban.

Cambridge is definitely a unique city and outside of the GTA, I don't think any other region in Ontario has as many unique old urban cores as it does (nor with the unique charm and architecture). Windsor may be the only other area...there's downtown Windsor proper near the Detroit River, but then also old urban areas like Wyandotte Ave or around Ottawa and Hall that are clearly well outside of the downtown but feel wholly urban.
(07-15-2022, 12:42 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Quite true. On the other hand, that example is most certainly urban.

True indeed.

I know this forum has discussed the ambiguity of how to define things in this region before. Most here would consider uptown, downtown, the various areas of Cambridge and even the university area as urban. Some also consider anywhere along King/Weber/Charles/Victoria as urban (I know there's a couple threads outside of the cores posted in the urban section). I guess it depends on the person haha. For me in Kitchener-Waterloo I'd say anything "outside" of the expressway/Fischer Hallman ring is suburban.

Cambridge is definitely a unique city and outside of the GTA, I don't think any other region in Ontario has as many unique old urban cores as it does (nor with the unique charm and architecture). Windsor may be the only other area...there's downtown Windsor proper near the Detroit River, but then also old urban areas like Wyandotte Ave or around Ottawa and Hall that are clearly well outside of the downtown but feel wholly urban.

I still say that K-W is easy to define - inside the expressway/Westmount/Columbia is urban, outside is suburban.
I suppose this project can be changed to Approved.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news/cambr...76885.html
local cambridge weirdo
Is it just the camera angle or is that just an extremely tiny KFC?
(09-14-2023, 11:37 AM)ac3r Wrote: Is it just the camera angle or is that just an extremely tiny KFC?

Just a really wide shot to catch the majesty and grandeur of the decaying parking lot in the same shot.
local cambridge weirdo
God, that Dundas/Hespeler/Coronation intersection is terrible, though. The bus stops that are floating in the triangles of concrete between the two 6-lane roads and a sliplane are particularly hellacious. I haven't been down that way in ages; hope the bike lane reconstruction is improving it somewhat!

(09-14-2023, 11:11 AM)bravado Wrote: I suppose this project can be changed to Approved.

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news/cambr...76885.html

The next step is "U/C" once we see some actual construction activity. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »