Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District
(11-07-2018, 05:00 PM)KevinL Wrote: The heritage committee is not in agreement with the planning department. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/902...ttee-says/

Oh man, if only they didn't tare down the old city hall, none of these clowns would be doing this.

It's a private business. It's not surrounded by historical residences, and it's a relatively *new* building.

Fairview Park Mall needs to be improved, especially since Sears is gone, time to let go of the past.

This committee seems to be out of control.

Is there higher body "OMB for heritage" that these decisions can be appealed to?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(11-07-2018, 10:37 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: This committee seems to be out of control.

Is there higher body "OMB for heritage" that these decisions can be appealed to?

The Heritage Committee only makes recommendations.  It's City Council that takes decisions.  Or am I mistaken?
(11-07-2018, 10:50 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 10:37 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: This committee seems to be out of control.

The Heritage Committee only makes recommendations.  It's City Council that takes decisions.  Or am I mistaken?

You are exactly correct.
Did I see that the Sears facade is going to Council tonight?
Quote:Council voted 7-3 Monday against protecting the distinctive concrete facade of the Sears building with a heritage designation.

Building owner Cadillac Fairview wants to demolish the facade and part of the building in a major redevelopment of Fairview Park mall. Finley McEwen, Cadillac Fairview's senior vice president of development, urged council not to designate the building. The 53-year-old Sears building, with its distinctive facade of ribbed, precast concrete, was built in the Kennedy-era International style and is locally unique.

The heritage designation "would essentially render the property undevelopable," McEwen said. "It would essentially tie our hand and prevent a one-in-50-year redevelopment opportunity from progressing."

Looks like things are good to move forward here.
Now, if it had been yet another 100-year-old house, I think the vote would have gone the other way.

I'm curious how much of this came down to what's there currently vs what will be there in the future. Rather than simply letting the heritage value of the facade be the sole decision.
(11-20-2018, 11:13 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'm curious how much of this came down to what's there currently vs what will be there in the future.   Rather than simply letting the heritage value of the facade be the sole decision.

I'm sure the redevelopment issue would have been top of mind, although it's interesting to wonder if it really needed to be an either/or matter.
(11-20-2018, 11:13 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'm curious how much of this came down to what's there currently vs what will be there in the future.   Rather than simply letting the heritage value of the facade be the sole decision.

I think it's a little bit of both -- the investment going into the mall, and questionable heritage value and almost no historical in a strictly retail area of town.

When it came to the old Sears building, it always had a 'big city' feel to it, like something you'd see in Toronto -- yet at the same time, it was something that also looked dated, as in something you'd see in Toronto getting a facelift.

I am hoping that CF can do something about that Wal*Mart building, it's in rough shape, reminds me of the ghetto's in parts of Michigan and Florida.
I'm shocked Walmart has let it get that bad. I was at the mall a few weeks ago and it looks BAD
(11-20-2018, 07:33 PM)Spokes Wrote: I'm shocked Walmart has let it get that bad. I was at the mall a few weeks ago and it looks BAD

What I don't know is this: Is that Wal*Mart a 'stand alone' store, even though it's attached to the mall? Or is it owned by CF? And who figures out who fixes what if it is owned by CF? And yeah, shocking that they'd let the state of repair get so bad, it looks like it's been through a civil war or something.
Walmart owns their building, CF has no responsibility for it.

But I understand a renovation is in the pipeline.

I assumed they leased it but had some responsibility when it came to upkeep. Im surprised they own it themselves.
(11-20-2018, 08:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: Walmart owns their building, CF has no responsibility for it.

But I understand a renovation is in the pipeline.

You were correct, I saw them fixing the outside just the other day. Hopefully it looks good in a week or two.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »