Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Shops | ?m | 3fl | Complete
Exterior starting to go up:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I noticed that the cladding seems to be pre-cast with brick fascia pressed into the surface and painted. I couldn't tell whether the other Shops buildings were also built this way, or whether they were actually individual bricks.
(02-13-2017, 01:36 PM)nms Wrote: I noticed that the cladding seems to be pre-cast with brick fascia pressed into the surface and painted.  I couldn't tell whether the other Shops buildings were also built this way, or whether they were actually individual bricks.

The original buildings were clad with actual face brick masonry. It's a shame to see the change here, but the type of structure is different here too. As I mentioned above, I imagine the new owners wanted a less expensive method of construction for this new phase.
Looks like Shopify might be taking some (all?) of the office space in the new Willis Way building at the Shops. This is amazing news for Uptown if it turns out to be true.

Quote:Shopify Plus aims to expand in uptown Waterloo, The Record

WATERLOO REGION — The rapidly growing technology company Shopify Plus is pursuing a lease for 60,000 square feet of office space at Willis Way in uptown Waterloo.

But the company, which became a darling of the Canadian tech sector following a hugely successful public offering of shares in 2015, had no comment Wednesday on its plans for expansion in Waterloo.

That new building at 85 Willis Way, which is under construction, will house up to 400 additional employees. It is very close to the company's current offices in the former Seagram Museum at Erb and Caroline streets, which has room for 300 workers. Shopify Plus will keep both locations.

[...]
That could be very huge for the region. Also contained in there was an update on the Maple Leaf factory on Courtland and how it remains unsold.
If Shopify continues to grow locally, and they wish to keep their staff centrally located, how soon before there is a push to expand with a new building elsewhere in the immediate area? Do any of the planners and architects who hang around here have a general idea of how long it takes a building to go from conception to planning approval to completion? (yes, I realize that results may vary). If Shopify were to say, "We need more space" tomorrow, when could it conceivably be available?
A simple project, that has no zoning issues or variances? Maybe two years from plans to move-in. Lots of space for one of those on the former post office property!

(03-03-2017, 01:45 PM)nms Wrote: If Shopify continues to grow locally, and they wish to keep their staff centrally located, how soon before there is a push to expand with a new building elsewhere in the immediate area?  Do any of the planners and architects who hang around here have a general idea of how long it takes a building to go from conception to planning approval to completion? (yes, I realize that results may vary).  If Shopify were to say, "We need more space" tomorrow, when could it conceivably be available?

Depends on the size. A small office could be designed and completed within a year or so if it's nothing fancy. Something large - let's say a 30 floor building - would take much, much longer.
They would probably start to look around Phillip st area if there is vacancies still in the former RIM buildings or wait for something to be built in RT park to bring everyone together.
What are the plans for the non-residential buildings at Barrel Yards? That's close by.
Red brick along the back seems darker than in the other portions of this development along king:

Went by this today for the first time since construction was at an advanced stage and I have to say it helps fill in the street wall well here helping to make the area feel even more urban.
I was in the shops for the first time in a while. The vape store is gone, replaced by a jeweller. Next to it is coming the sock factory. The old Reitmans space looked to be having some work done too.

I wonder if Sock Factory is a new location or a relocation of the Southworks store.
What is Shoppfy, and why would it be amazing for the Region if they take the whole building?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »