Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
The more remote stations (Block Line, R&T) with no nearby buildings have the heaters, as does Grand River Hospital given the anticipated ridership. As noted they are all wired for it, so if it becomes an issue at any particular station not yet equipped, they should be able to be easily upgraded

Would be far more expensive to add the conduits for the wiring later. I suspect by “the wiring is already there” they just mean the conduit for fishing the wire through is already there, embedded in the concrete.

Of course, everyone’s a designer after something’s built...
Copper thieves would have pulled actual wire out if there was any left in the conduits!

What.
(02-15-2019, 09:53 AM)chutten Wrote:

What.

that was great! hahaha needs more inception sound(kinda loud!)
(02-15-2019, 09:53 AM)chutten Wrote:

What.

Haven't you heard? Metrolinx has a quite savvy marketing team. (this one is a parody ad of sorts)
Specifically a pastiche of car spots (released for the auto show, you'll note).

Metrolinx claims they will add another train to Kitchener in a year and get travel time down to 90 minutes at some unspecified time.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/920...linx-says/
Great news on both fronts, but curious how they plan on getting travel times down with the snap of a finger
I only quickly read the article, but they are doing to just throw a few sidings in? Won't that make times worse if they do manage to get cn to allow all day?
(03-05-2019, 03:07 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I only quickly read the article, but they are doing to just throw a few sidings in? Won't that make times worse if they do manage to get cn to allow all day?

More or less, the main way to save time right now is eliminating slow zones due to deferred track maintenance. They also want to remove and improve some (like 33) level crossings. Those things would definitely improve speeds.
I assume sidings can still speed up trips.

An extreme example: if you had a 100km section of single track, in order to have two trains pass each other you'd have to hold a train at the end and wait the time it takes the other train to go the whole 100km before the first train starts. If you put a passing spot in at the 50km mark, both trains can start and then pass in the middle. I have no idea the actual situation here but it seems plausible situations like this exist and will speed up trips.
This happens every day with the 19h18 VIA 87 to Sarnia out of Kitchener. The opposing train gets to just South of St. Mary’s... and sometimes has to wait aaaages for the 87 to come by.

(03-05-2019, 04:56 PM)SammyOES Wrote: I assume sidings can still speed up trips.  

An extreme example: if you had a 100km section of single track, in order to have two trains pass each other you'd have to hold a train at the end and wait the time it takes the other train to go the whole 100km before the first train starts.  If you put a passing spot in at the 50km mark, both trains can start and then pass in the middle.  I have no idea the actual situation here but it seems plausible situations like this exist and will speed up trips.

Ideally, yes. But since the trains currently run one way in the morning and one way at night, it does not have to stop and wait at a siding. With two way, if a train needs to stop at a siding, especially on the cn leg, they need to factor in the wait time on the siding. So a 2 hour trip can turn into a 2 1/2 hour trip if you are sitting on a siding for 30 mins waiting for another train to pass the siding.
I thought there were issues with CN trains now running on the line and slowing down / restricting the GO schedule?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »