Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Urban Planning Failed Women?
The Independent ran an interesting article:  How Urban Planning is Failing Women Around the World:  https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style...24116.html

The title says "around the world" but I think the article is really focused on Australia (which is pretty similar to the US in terms of the suburban culture). In the UK, where the Independent is based, there are urban supermarkets, cycling paths, sidewalks and parks, and transit routes are far more comprehensive. Hence I was confused reading the article until almost the very end, where there was a reference to Queensland.

Closer to home, the current planning is trying to (albeit not always successfully) to provide walkable urban neighbourhoods with retail and dining mixed in, and improvements for transit and active transportation. Much work to be done yet, but I think the direction is right. And I don't think the current urban planning is particularly ignoring women, at least not here.

Existing suburbia, on the other hand, is much closer to what the article describes (although we do usually at least have sidewalks).
Ya I caught that too about the geography. Especially because the author is a prof in Australia.

I definitely pictured our suburban landscape when reading the article.

Do you think that urban walkable neighbourhoods are always safer?
(09-12-2018, 09:09 AM)Spokes Wrote: Ya I caught that too about the geography.  Especially because the author is a prof in Australia.  

I definitely pictured our suburban landscape when reading the article.

Do you think that urban walkable neighbourhoods are always safer?

Saw a thing on Twitter which said that urban walkable neighbourhoods with nightlife (i.e. people on the street) were safer.
Makes sense. I'd definitely feel more comfortable at night with more people around compared to if I was all alone.
Indeed, more people to hear your screams .... ( Wink , of course!)
This is one of the reasons I find walking in downtown Kitchener at night feels safer than walking in the suburbs or places like Mary Allen, or the Iron Horse Trail. Having other people and activity makes me feel much safer than being the only person I can see on a residential street.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »