Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wroute
I'm very pleased to see they did give it a try. Very gutted to hear it didn't work out.

Disappointing, but I am not hugely surprised. I did see it as a very challenging business model.
Tom, I feel the same. I think they're just 10 years early. Hopefully then the larger population base would make this sustainable
I'm not sure, its very hard for transportation to operate without subsidy.
(05-07-2019, 07:54 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm not sure, its very hard for transportation to operate without subsidy.

Airways Transit does operate without subsidy, and it's probably the closest to this model.
(05-07-2019, 10:04 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 07:54 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm not sure, its very hard for transportation to operate without subsidy.

Airways Transit does operate without subsidy, and it's probably the closest to this model.

Is it close at all?  It's an airport shuttle, Wroute was trying to be a frequent fixed route transit service.

I mean, it's probably the closest to operating without a direct subsidy, but I'm under the impression it was operating with some sort of exclusive license on the Pearson <-> Kitchener route, if I understand correctly:

http://www.tritag.ca/blog/2017/04/21/is-...g-an-uber/

Which Wroute does not have.
(05-07-2019, 10:04 AM)tomh009 Wrote:

I'm surprised they are still popular. It's cheaper nowadays to call United or Waterloo taxi to take you to the airport, especially if you have 2 people traveling.

I took Airways recently and appreciated the flexibility afforded by not having to wait long when my return flight was delayed.
(05-07-2019, 10:47 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 10:04 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Airways Transit does operate without subsidy, and it's probably the closest to this model.

Is it close at all?  It's an airport shuttle, Wroute was trying to be a frequent fixed route transit service.

I mean, it's probably the closest to operating without a direct subsidy, but I'm under the impression it was operating with some sort of exclusive license on the Pearson <-> Kitchener route, if I understand correctly:

Airways Transit is shared, like Wroute. Frequent, like Wroute. But on request rather than on a fixed schedule/route. And maybe that approach could have made Wroute work?

The Airways Transit licence is not explicitly exclusive, but I don't know what the ministry's criteria are for granting new licences. Nevertheless, there is no direct subsidy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »