Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region
This thread is about whimsical eccentricities in Waterloo Region.   There is already an interesting thread on Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region but it is about art in public spaces, businesses, community centres, etc.   This thread is about whimsical, eccentric art people create on their front yards and homes.  And if you walk around the older neighbourhoods of Kitchener and Waterloo you will see some very odd pieces of art.

These were found on Duke Street.

On Filbert Street.

Notice the penguin on the right is wearing a Canadian flag.  How special is that?

At a more formal level, I've always found the Kaiser Wilhelm plinth in Victora Park to be eccentric (in a good way) - a statueless monument to a monument with a statue.
(09-16-2018, 09:35 AM)jgsz Wrote: On Filbert Street.

Notice the penguin on the right is wearing a Canadian flag.  How special is that?

One wants to know more ...
This rock art is another one from a home on Duke Street.

This house on Schneider Ave looks ordinary at first glance.

But if you look closer you'll see that the brickwork is most unusual.  I would like to know when and why they did this.  I wonder if they would allow some rock climbing....   Undecided

Another from Duke Street.

(09-18-2018, 06:43 AM)jgsz Wrote: This house on Schneider Ave looks ordinary at first glance.

But if you look closer you'll see that the brickwork is most unusual.  I would like to know when and why they did this.  I wonder if they would allow some rock climbing....   Undecided

rick mills could probably give you chapter and verse of it.  I seem to recall that the same person may have built one other similar place in town, but I can't recall where it is/was.
In a different vein, I loved the idea that the Waterloo Club was relocating to Kitchener. Then they changed the club's name, so "whimsical eccentricity" opportunity lost.
(09-18-2018, 12:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: In a different vein, I loved the idea that the Waterloo Club was relocating to Kitchener.  Then they changed the club's name, so "whimsical eccentricity" opportunity lost.

Too Funny, speaking of, is anyone on here a member or seen how the renovations turned out ?
(09-18-2018, 12:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 06:43 AM)jgsz Wrote: This house on Schneider Ave looks ordinary at first glance.

rick mills could probably give you chapter and verse of it.  I seem to recall that the same person may have built one other similar place in town, but I can't recall where it is/was.

Yes, Rych Mills is likely to something about this house.
(09-18-2018, 03:29 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 12:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: rick mills could probably give you chapter and verse of it.  I seem to recall that the same person may have built one other similar place in town, but I can't recall where it is/was.

Yes, Rych Mills is likely to something about this house.

Yes, rych, not rick.  Sorry.
(09-18-2018, 06:46 PM)+L9Chicopee Wrote: Anyone remember the house on Guelph Street with the hundreds of gnomes and lawn ornaments? It would definitely fit in this thread. I can't find a picture of it.

That house with it’s ornaments was amazing.   Any one of those lawn ornaments on someone’s lawn would look tacky.  When they’re all together like this I think a message was being sent.  But I never understand what it was.

Here is a house on Alexandra Street in Waterloo. Lots to look at.

(09-19-2018, 10:47 AM)kitborn Wrote: Here is a house on Alexandra Street in Waterloo. Lots to look at.

Are those glass insulators around the bed at the foot of the tree?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »