Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whimsical Eccentricities in Waterloo Region
253 Queen St S in Kitchener ...

(09-19-2018, 02:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 253 Queen St S in Kitchener ...

This was formerly the gallery of 'functional sculptor' Renato Foti. A number of pieces were left in place when the property was re-purposed.
(09-19-2018, 04:58 PM)KevinL Wrote:

This was formerly the gallery of 'functional sculptor' Renato Foti. A number of pieces were left in place when the property was re-purposed.

Iirc, there's another, smaller piece mounted on the edge of the roof out the back.

Thanks, I never knew that!

We used to live across the street and I always wondered what the deal was
This house is on Pequegnat Avenue in Kitchener. I believe the owner has a resale architectural building components store. 

It appears that he is still located there … maybe no gallery, though.
http://www.renatofoti.com/contact.html

This house on Betzner at Duke probably had a storefront at one time.  That was not at all unusual at that time.  It also looks like it had a large window or two on the second floor.  But what makes this house interesting is the stained glass and artwork at the main entrance. 

(10-04-2018, 07:39 AM)jgsz Wrote: This house on Betzner at Duke probably had a storefront at one time.  That was not at all unusual at that time.  

It would be interesting to know how often this would happen now if it were not illegal due to zoning regulations.
(10-04-2018, 08:29 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-04-2018, 07:39 AM)jgsz Wrote: This house on Betzner at Duke probably had a storefront at one time.  That was not at all unusual at that time.  

It would be interesting to know how often this would happen now if it were not illegal due to zoning regulations.

I grew up in Hamilton and these small grocery stores were legal and they were everywhere.  We lived on a busy street and there were three of these small storefronts across the street from us.  Two of them were operated by older women (everyone was older to me back then) who had disabilities.  They lived in the rest of the house and when I went into the store they hobbled out from the back to serve me.  They sold bread and milk, some canned goods and penny candies.  And cigarettes.  Lots of cigarettes. It was a way for them to stay at home and make a very modest living.  But they had no choice because this was before universal healthcare, disability pensions, etc..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »