Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Still no bus on Weber between University and Albert. Sigh.

(09-11-2017, 12:54 PM)Markster Wrote: Online comments for the GRT proposals are now open:
https://www.peakdemocracy.com/portals/274/Issue_5366

As for R+T Park, it's really the fault of the companies locating there.  They're the ones who picked which plot of land to develop.  Open Text wanted the choice property next to the creek.  They clearly didn't care that it was far from the bus stop (I did that walk once in the winter, and it was not good), and farther from the future LRT station.

In the next 10 years, we're going to see the park begin to orient a little better around the LRT station.  Hopefully, some developments are more than just single-use office buildings, and begin to have public lunch spots for the different offices.

Things will also likely improve when Wes Graham is connected to Laurelwood.  It will be possible to run an actual bus route connecting Laurelwood to the offices, to the LRT station.

The overall plan could have provided that the buildings should be along the street, with parking behind. Instead they just plunk a building down wherever and use the rest of the property for parking. Also, question, how does the parking provided compare to the parking needed? If there is so much parking that it is never full even at busy times then there is, economically speaking, too much.
@Markster. IIRC the Wes Graham way to Laurelwood connection was active transportation only. That's a protected natural area I believe so I think a road would face lots of difficulties.
Who wants to chip in and buy 20 old fareboxes for $15 each?

(j/k, personally)
Wow, I had no idea this sort of stuff went out for public sale like this!
OMG, the CPTDB guys are going to gobble these up like popcorn!
(09-12-2017, 01:07 PM)isUsername Wrote: Who wants to chip in and buy 20 old fareboxes for $15 each?

"Keys not included."  Various thoughts come to mind:
  • Will these fareboxes be sold locked, or open?
  • If locked, their usefulness is limited barring further effort on the buyers part to either engage a locksmith or (illegally?) pick the lock
  • If open, the key can be reverse engineered by examination of the lock cylinder; defeating any security gained by not including a key
  • Is reverse engineering the key an illegal act if one legally owns the lock cylinder?
If security is truly a concern, they should unlock the boxes and remove the cylinders prior to sale...

Reverse engineering a lock illegal. Only in digital land.
(09-12-2017, 05:53 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 01:07 PM)isUsername Wrote: Who wants to chip in and buy 20 old fareboxes for $15 each?

"Keys not included."  Various thoughts come to mind:
  • Will these fareboxes be sold locked, or open?
  • If locked, their usefulness is limited barring further effort on the buyers part to either engage a locksmith or (illegally?) pick the lock
  • If open, the key can be reverse engineered by examination of the lock cylinder; defeating any security gained by not including a key
  • Is reverse engineering the key an illegal act if one legally owns the lock cylinder?
If security is truly a concern, they should unlock the boxes and remove the cylinders prior to sale...

My guess would be the keys are not included because they are all the same. They would be giving you the keys to the other fareboxes. Whether or not this is true, the keys will be managed separately from the boxes, so in a surplus sale they don’t get matched up together. Once all the fareboxes are out of use, there might be a surplus lot that includes a bag of all the keys, together with some loose nuts, the latch from a roof hatch, and a 1m strip of seatbelt.
(09-08-2017, 09:54 AM)yige_t Wrote: GRT has posted detailed information on the proposed 2018 network, including individual route maps (with detailed Downtown Kitchener routing), frequencies, interlining pattern.

http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/2018-tran...twork.aspx

Charles Terminal will be served by Route 7 and 34 only beyond 2018. Route 7 short turns would probably end up there, but with so many routes connecting at King/Frederick I hope they consider extending it just a bit further to turn around via King/Benton/Charles/Gaukel instead.

Where do you see the 7 serving Charles?
[Image: maps-for-website-rt7-v2.png]
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
GRT responded to people asking about this by stating that a now-corrected alignment did show a Charles Terminal stop. They mentioned that short-turn 7s would turn at Charles.
(09-13-2017, 08:54 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: GRT responded to people asking about this by stating that a now-corrected alignment did show a Charles Terminal stop. They mentioned that short-turn 7s would turn at Charles.

Only short-turn, or will other 7s divert? Also, is anybody else confused about which routes will still serve the Terminal? The map I was looking at seemed to show 7s looping through the terminal, and only one other route. At that point it seems like the terminal could just be closed — two routes don’t need a terminal to meet up. It would make perfect sense to operate the terminal with fewer routes, possibly even few enough that you wouldn’t build a terminal if it wasn’t there, but I don’t imagine it makes sense to operate it with just 2 routes.
Re the terminal, it is still needed for intercity routes. I don't believe its planned to be closed until the new station is built. I suspect even if not shown most routes which are nearby will still loop through.

The highland hills terminal has been served by only one bus for a while now. It will finally be surplus when these new routes are implemented.
(09-13-2017, 10:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Re the terminal, it is still needed for intercity routes.  I don't believe its planned to be closed until the new station is built.   I suspect even if not shown most routes which are nearby will still loop through.

Ok, that makes sense. I might have been looking at a map only of changed routes.

I wonder if they’ll be able to close one of the platform islands? Conceivably they could have intercity at the main building and all GRT on just one island platform instead of using both of them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »