Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(04-16-2018, 03:22 PM)taylortbb Wrote: You were right the first time, you're supposed to push the button and have it print a transfer. The machines are still somewhat unreliable though, and drivers don't like waiting for them to print.

Long term you're definitely supposed to scan the transfer, but I'm not sure if that's working yet.

I think what they do because of the slowness is if there are a lot of people boarding with tickets, use the old style transfers to speed up the load process, especially during rush hour. If its one or two people, they use the print transfer button.

Most of this problem should go away with the full switch to fare cards from tickets, where the transfer is stored on the card. People paying with cash will still likely have the delay, but most people use a pass/ticket/university card anyway.

Canard. Transfers for Tickets require the driver to push a button on their panel to enable it, vs. a cash fare where it becomes available after the last coin is deposited. That is likely what you saw happening.

I can speak to the method of taking transit with the new fareboxes using tickets, transfers, or a stored-value fare card.

With ticket:
1) Show ticket to driver
2) Deposit ticket in receptacle
3) The driver should have pushed a button that made a "ding".
4) The "Print Transfer" button label on the LCD should go from "disabled" state to "enabled" state
5) You may now push the button and wait for the transfer to print
-alternatively- impatient drivers will force-print a transfer for you to speed things up a little
-alternatively- due to running out of paper or other malfunction, driver will present you with an old-style transfer

With new (card-shaped with QR code) transfer
1) Scan bar code over glass segment at the top-right of the farebox
2) There should be a near-immediate "ding"
-if that doesn't work- drivers will want to see the part of the transfer with the date and time stamp

With old (torn-off onion paper strip) transfer
1) Show transfer to the driver

With stored-value card
1) Place card on reader at front-right of farebox
2) Hold it there slightly longer than you think you need to
If you haven't scanned your card in the past 99min:
3) A "ding" will sound and the phrase "ADULT TICKET $2.76/REMAINING BALANCE $NN.NN" will appear on the display
If you have scanned your card in the past 99min:
3) A "ding" will sound and the phrase ...oh wait, I've forgotten the exact phrase. Something about "ADULT TRANSFER" will appear on the display

If you remove your card before the "ding" sounds, even if the display has already changed, you will get a three-beep noise instead. This means you have to do it again. (or, if the driver saw the display say "ADULT TRANSFER", they may just ignore the triple beep and carry on)

If you encounter a bus without a new farebox (which I did as recently as a couple weeks ago on the 92 UNIVERSITY LOOP), deposit your ticket into the farebox directly. For farecards and transfers, just show the item to the driver. In all cases a "ding" will sound (either from the farebox scanning your ticket or from the driver pressing a button behind the farebox).

Does this help?
Absolutely - that was perfect. Thank you Chutten!
(04-12-2018, 10:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 10:09 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Do people not ride the bus in the summer because the service is not available, or do the buses not run because the people don't ride the bus?

Yes.

Is one hand quiet because it is alone, or because it is not clapping?
I hopped on a Route 1 bus last week and went to put my ticket in the tube and was confused when it wasn't there because it was a bus equipped with the old fare box. Eventually, with some prompting from the driver, I clued in and went back to the old process of sliding it in, but after over a decade of riding GRT occasionally, I was surprised at how quickly I forgot about the old ones.
Enjoy the old fareboxes while they last - they're on buses set to be scrapped following the change to summer service at the end of the month. Just weeks remain!
I guess used transit buses don't have much resale value!
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/browse...?catid=411

At those prices I should buy one and make a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city keeping it's speed over 50 and if it's speed dropped it would explode. I can call it "the bus that couldn't slow down". Smile
(04-16-2018, 03:42 PM)Canard Wrote: So I should probably try and scan the transfer, and then also show it to the driver

You don't need to show the driver if you scan it. A small chime on the fare box indicates that the transfer is legit.
The transfer print time wouldn't be as big of an issue if we had all-door boarding, or (like some buses in other countries) a dual-lane front entrance for those who need to pay and those who have a pass/transfer.
(04-17-2018, 11:53 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The transfer print time wouldn't be as big of an issue if we had all-door boarding, or (like some buses in other countries) a dual-lane front entrance for those who need to pay and those who have a pass/transfer.

We effectively get a dual lane at the front as drivers will generally wave pass holders in as they enter, while waiting for a ticket user's transfer to print.

That won't work when pass users need to tap.
(04-16-2018, 06:33 PM)KevinL Wrote: Enjoy the old fareboxes while they last - they're on buses set to be scrapped following the change to summer service at the end of the month. Just weeks remain!

I've gotten at least 10 free rides since the start of March, since one of them is used regularly for the 11 that I take to work many days. I'm glad they're upgrading the busses (I'm a large, tall person and really don't like those seats) but it's been a nice perk while it lasted.
Probably beating a dead horse but whomever clears snow from the bus stopa suck. Did it 4 days after the storm, and the stop is worse off then it was before.

There have been a ton of complaints to GRT on social media about the snow clearing this year. I use the stop in front of Grand River Hospital regularly and it hasn't been cleared all winter, even when I complain about it. In one of the articles about the new snow clearing contract from a few years ago, it was mentioned that certain GRT stops are "priority accessibility" stops due for immediate clearing... and yet the stops in front of GRT and the Senior's Center at King & Allen have been some of the worst all winter.
There's something in the contract that allows them to get away with only paving a strip that is perhaps a foot-and-a-half wide, and this strip does not need to be connected to a sidewalk at all. It is absurd.

Edited to add: This is supposition. I have not seen the contract, but based on my complaints and actions I've seen as a result, this sort of minimal effort seems to be enough to satisfy the wording.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »