Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Nope, exact same URL, just different render for the environment.

These clean, quick loading pages in combination with something like the revolver extension in Chrome would allow pretty much anyone, business, community centre, or even at home to set up a kiosk like display like they have at Charles in seconds. Just open a tab for all the nearby stops, turn on the tab revolver, and set to full screen.

Perhaps that was one of the intentions?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(06-13-2018, 09:40 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: These clean, quick loading pages in combination with something like the revolver extension in Chrome would allow pretty much anyone, business, community centre, or even at home to set up a kiosk like display like they have at Charles in seconds. Just open a tab for all the nearby stops, turn on the tab revolver, and set to full screen.

GRT actually does that at a few locations. (Inside Conestoga College by Door 3 is one of them)
Thank-you, I am aware of those.

My apologies if I wasn't clear.

I was suggesting that with this technology pretty much anybody who knows how to use a browser could set up a custom display for their customers' use without needing special hardware or facility permissions.

The Chicago Transit Authority has had a similar application for a while now (although the GRT one looks even easier to implement) and encourages businesses to use the DIY approach.
Proposed Reserved Bus Lane Southbound Hespeler Road at the Delta

"The Region’s Transit Supportive Strategy (TSS) for Cambridge Working Group identified a quick-win that could shed up to 60 seconds off travel times for southbound Route 51 and 200 iXpress buses during peak traffic times, by creating a dedicated GRT bus lane leading up to the Delta Station along Hespeler Road. The proposal consists of converting the southbound painted shoulder over the grade separation to a bus-only lane, and allowing buses to use the right-turn lanes at Jaffray Street and at Coronation Boulevard. Appendix A provides a location map of the proposed initiative. Transit delay data suggests that this new bus-only lane would speed up service times by up to 60 seconds in afternoon peak periods, and would benefit approximately 1,150 passengers per day. The cost estimate for pavement markings and signage to convert the existing painted shoulder to a dedicated bus-only lane is $5,000."
(06-15-2018, 08:46 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Proposed Reserved Bus Lane Southbound Hespeler Road at the Delta

"The Region’s Transit Supportive Strategy (TSS) for Cambridge Working Group identified a quick-win that could shed up to 60 seconds off travel times for southbound Route 51 and 200 iXpress buses during peak traffic times, by creating a dedicated GRT bus lane leading up to the Delta Station along Hespeler Road. The proposal consists of converting the southbound painted shoulder over the grade separation to a bus-only lane, and allowing buses to use the right-turn lanes at Jaffray Street and at Coronation Boulevard. Appendix A provides a location map of the proposed initiative. Transit delay data suggests that this new bus-only lane would speed up service times by up to 60 seconds in afternoon peak periods, and would benefit approximately 1,150 passengers per day. The cost estimate for pavement markings and signage to convert the existing painted shoulder to a dedicated bus-only lane is $5,000."

Not sure what to think. On the one hand, cool that they’re taking a “quick win” to improve bus service. On the other hand, why wasn’t this done as part of the Ion BRT? And not just this, but the slightly larger “full queue jump” which they are not proposing for now, because of the “magnitude and cost”. And this isn’t arbitrary “why hasn’t this already been done?”; we just “completed” a substantial BRT project on exactly that street, including the part affected by this proposal. What else has been missed in recent and ongoing projects?
This makes me scratch my head.  It looked like when they built the bridge that the huuuuuge shoulder was prime for a bus lane... and then they just paved it and didn't put any markings on it and it's like... okay, what was the point of that?

Now they're saying OH WOW WE COuLD PUT A Bus THERE

....duh??? Huh

what is more fun to navigate is when they put the bus lane in that they do have they had to shift over the two existing lanes of traffic making one of the 2 turning lanes much shorter and much more inaccessible.

So I can go down the one lane and hope the person in front of me isn't going to try to go into the plaza because if they do I won't be able to proceed.
if it is clear I have to hope traffic traffic is evenly distributed between the 2 lanes, if not hope there isn't 6 cars in front of m because than I can't access the other lane. (because of traffic going to tim hortons/avoiding tim hotons or trying to turn left to go into the plaza after the lights there is a definite preference for the left most lane).
And because of how deep you can access it, I'll start to drive in the turn lane as soon as I can, and if there are a few cars ahead of me I'd want to move to the other lane to even it out but I have to watch for cars that were in the straight through traffic that were planning to use that lane. Something that doesn't come up as far as I am aware of in any other intersection in the region.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3739298,...a=!3m1!1e3

before they put the bus stop there both turn lanes started at about the same place so none of these issues occurred previously.

Currently the bus uses the lane when it is a turn lane, so the bus already jumps traffic, Im not certain how often traffic gets backed up beyond that point but I don't think it is often
(06-13-2018, 09:40 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: These clean, quick loading pages in combination with something like the revolver extension in Chrome would allow pretty much anyone, business, community centre, or even at home to set up a kiosk like display like they have at Charles in seconds. Just open a tab for all the nearby stops, turn on the tab revolver, and set to full screen.

And on Firefox you can open it in the Side View so you don't forget to leave your desk in eleven minutes like you meant to.

...not saying this is based on a true story, but it might be.
I was listening to the GRT feed at cykf.net, and northbound 200 iXpress drivers were advised to detour down Strange St. because of a truck stuck under the Park St. underpass near the Home Hardware.  A driver radio'd back "Stuck how?", and the answer was "Square peg in a round hole."  Priceless!
27 months after being ordered by council the 204 bus stop displays in the Queen and Highland area are being installed and are operating. Woo hoo!
I noticed out of the corner of my eye one of these stand-alone digital bus stop thingies was active now on Queen at Frederick/Benton, in front of the parking garage.

There's been a shell for one at Victoria/Margaret for a long while, I'll look for it next time I bike by.
(07-04-2018, 09:25 PM)Canard Wrote: I noticed out of the corner of my eye one of these stand-alone digital bus stop thingies was active now on Queen at Frederick/Benton, in front of the parking garage.

That one's Ion-adjacent, so installed by GrandLinq. Those have been up and running for some time. It's the ones farther from the LRT corridor where there's been some foot-dragging.

The one on the NOT LRT platform side (as I said, garage side) was installed by GrandLinq?
(07-05-2018, 10:02 AM)Canard Wrote: The one on the NOT LRT platform side (as I said, garage side) was installed by GrandLinq?

Yes, it was part of the reconstruction of Charles St.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »