Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
Well I tried taking the bus for the first time today! Bus and bike to work.

Getting to work was great. Going home, the first bus that went by had 2 bikes already in the rack, was mostly empty - but the driver just pointed at the bikes, shrugged at me and kept on driving.

I thought I was supposed to be able to bring it on? I guess it's at their discretion and he decided no.

Oh well, it's a beautiful day, and I'm not in a hurry. Smile

(04-24-2017, 05:30 PM)Canard Wrote: I thought I was supposed to be able to bring it on? I guess it's at their discretion and he decided no.

Correct, the driver determines capacity when the rack is full or inoperative.
Thanks Kevin; I didn't mind waiting, it I just thought it was a bit puzzling as there were about 10 people on board. Maybe the driver knew there was a big load at a stop just up the route?

The racks are pretty jenky; I'm too used to my rock-solid 1Up car rack! I kept thinking my bike was going to bounce out as we trucked along Weber in the right-hand lane.

I'll be doing this a lot more, I think, as the weather gets more consistently nice; working up to eventually biking the whole way to work and back with no bus.
Some enhancements (extra trips) coming to several Cambridge routes 'later this year' (likely September).

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/7258...us-routes/

51: every-15-min service starts earlier on Saturdays (8:45 instead of 10:00 AM); improved through-connections at Hespeler terminal

52: additional evening trip on weekdays (6:00 PM), extending every-15-min service by half an hour

61: weekday evening service extended to 10:30 PM from the current 7:45

200: weekday evening service extended to 10:45 PM from 10:15; no more 200s terminating at Fairway
It looks like a bus shelter pad has been poured on the south side of William between King and Regina.

What could it be for? The 5? A re-route for the 7?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Given the long time for completion of construction of King from Erb to University, they might be using Regina for the 7 now.
Does it need a permanent pad, though?

The 7 does indeed go through there for the construction detour. The bus stops at Caroline/William, and then at Regina/Willis. I guess they decided to put in a stop in the middle of those?

I've seen pads go in for other long detour stops before.
Maybe that will be a permanent stop for the 7, otherwise there will be no northbound stop between Allen and Erb due to the tracks. It could take William, Regina, and Willis Way to get back to King?
(04-28-2017, 10:46 AM)bpoland Wrote: Maybe that will be a permanent stop for the 7, otherwise there will be no northbound stop between Allen and Erb due to the tracks.  It could take William, Regina, and Willis Way to get back to King?

Which I really really really hope is not the case Sad
The only thing worse than the missing stop would be a ridiculous detour like that to add it back in.
Either way it's less than ideal. The construction will be done this year though, right? That doesn't seem long enough to warrant a concrete pad if it's temporary.
(04-28-2017, 10:46 AM)bpoland Wrote: Maybe that will be a permanent stop for the 7, otherwise there will be no northbound stop between Allen and Erb due to the tracks.  It could take William, Regina, and Willis Way to get back to King?

100% confirmed that it will be a permanent stop of the 7, even after ION starts operating. The 7 will go right on William, then Regina for one block, then back onto King. I know, annoying.
They're redoing the sidewalk-adjacent space in front of the Charles Terminal this week. Progress is good:

[Image: QS97UFc.jpg]

[Image: oAcnKjg.jpg]

(04-28-2017, 01:27 PM)urbd Wrote:

100% confirmed that it will be a permanent stop of the 7, even after ION starts operating. The 7 will go right on William, then Regina for one block, then back onto King. I know, annoying.

That is insane.
Why couldn't they put an island between the tracks and road like at King / Victoria? Ugh.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »