Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
They've been quite clear that there will be no exchange of ticket value, alas.

My suggestion: if you know you have tickets that won't get used before the deadline, donate them at a community agency (Working Centre, YWCA, etc) - they can easily find people who can use them.

I thought they said before that tickets would be usable for six months after the fare cards were launched. Than again, six months from March is September.
(02-17-2019, 12:19 PM)timc Wrote: I thought they said before that tickets would be usable for six months after the fare cards were launched. Than again, six months from March is September.

Yeah, that kinda aligns with my fears about the LRT launch.
I'd always heard 3 months, I'm quite sure.
I don't think I ever heard someone official say 6 months.
I found the six month thing:

https://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/fareboxes.aspx

Quote:4. The new farebox does not accept paper tickets. During this first phase of the transition to electronic fare payment, a temporary ticket container will be installed on the bus next to the new farebox. Customers paying with paper tickets will show their ticket to the operator and put it in the ticket container. If customers need a transfer, they can push the transfer button to print a transfer.

In the next phase, when the EasyGO Fare Card has been launched, the paper tickets will be gradually phased out. GRT will give customers 6 months' notice when paper tickets will no longer be accepted.

I'm not sure what that means.
(02-17-2019, 10:56 PM)timc Wrote: I found the six month thing:

https://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/fareboxes.aspx

Quote:4. The new farebox does not accept paper tickets. During this first phase of the transition to electronic fare payment, a temporary ticket container will be installed on the bus next to the new farebox. Customers paying with paper tickets will show their ticket to the operator and put it in the ticket container. If customers need a transfer, they can push the transfer button to print a transfer.

In the next phase, when the EasyGO Fare Card has been launched, the paper tickets will be gradually phased out. GRT will give customers 6 months' notice when paper tickets will no longer be accepted.

I'm not sure what that means.

Yep. Although I'm pretty sure GRT was hoping that EasyGO would have been running for a long time alreayd at this point.

A little nugget in here in a document Jamincan posted in the cycling thread:

Document: https://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Cou...f5010a1035

Pages: 9-11

Summary: GRT is going to relax it's procedures for crossing ION tracks.

Their statistics are fascinating regarding collisions - I had no idea that so many accidents were caused by GRT busses stopping at tracks!

The wear & tear and fuel consumption thing I also totally get and respect, as a hypermiler myself. Also totally respect they note that noise will be decreased as well due to not having to accelerate again. Love!

I'm glad sanity has prevailed!
(02-18-2019, 08:50 AM)Canard Wrote: Summary:  GRT is going to relax it's procedures for crossing ION tracks.

Their statistics are fascinating regarding collisions - I had no idea that so many accidents were caused by GRT busses stopping at tracks!

Very good news! Now if we can just get the school bus operators to do the same … unfortunately I have an idea they might be subject to different HTA rules, which are harder to change. Does anybody know if this is in fact the case?

They should have done this decades ago, though — imagine how many times buses have stopped at the Waterloo Spur, which hasn’t typically had more than 2 trains a day since I can remember (except for when the tourist train was running).
Yeah, the facts and figures are all right there in the report, you can just multiply them by the number of years to figure out how much money and fuel was wasted.
(02-18-2019, 08:50 AM)Canard Wrote: Their statistics are fascinating regarding collisions - I had no idea that so many accidents were caused by GRT busses stopping at tracks!

I get what you're saying, but saying that those collisions are *caused* by GRT buses stopping at tracks is unfair. The report says that they may have been avoided had buses not stopped, but my guess is that they are caused by drivers following too closely or being distracted and driving into buses.

Regardless, I think this change will make things better for everyone. The only risk I can see is that, during the change, pedestrians may expect buses to stop and be surprised when they do not.
Now you’re unfairly blaming GRT for distracted pedestrians. Wink
(02-18-2019, 08:50 AM)Canard Wrote: A little nugget in here in a document Jamincan posted in the cycling thread:

Document:  https://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Cou...f5010a1035

Pages:  9-11

Summary:  GRT is going to relax it's procedures for crossing ION tracks.

I often jaywalk at the University/ION crossing. The buses disrupt the flow of traffic and make it hard to do that. So for me it would seem way better if the traffic kept on moving. In particular, if there's just a bus and then cars far behind, then in the time that it takes the bus to start/stop, the cars have caught up and crossing is no longer safely possible. (There might also be fewer buses once the ION is running.)

Excellent news!
(02-18-2019, 09:41 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 08:50 AM)Canard Wrote: Summary:  GRT is going to relax it's procedures for crossing ION tracks.

Very good news! Now if we can just get the school bus operators to do the same … unfortunately I have an idea they might be subject to different HTA rules, which are harder to change. Does anybody know if this is in fact the case?

They should have done this decades ago, though — imagine how many times buses have stopped at the Waterloo Spur, which hasn’t typically had more than 2 trains a day since I can remember (except for when the tourist train was running).

In the document, it says that "Two operators in Ontario (MiWay and YRT) [...] follow the more restrictive school bus policies [...]"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »