Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Barra on Queen | 7 fl | Complete
Is that what an alderman is....

Also, the parking has always been planned to be in the rear for the townhomes.

The setback of the building from Queen St is the byproduct of a view corridor protection that a neighbouring building a bit to the "north" has.

(07-05-2016, 09:26 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 08:00 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I count the garages at the back to be a big improvement.

I wish the midrise building could be brought closer to the street, but I understand why that's probably not practical with that lot. Nice that part of it is as close to the street as it is, really.

Is the parking at rear an improvement? If parking were at the front, some personal backyard space could be afforded to the units. The rear is now all asphalt, and the front, from what I see of similar units around, won't get much/any use. We're not talking northwest corner of Park and Allen, but I'd expect nearly as little use from those front yard areas, designed as they are for the existing neighbours' satisfaction rather than future users' potential enjoyment.

Well, everyone is always decrying parking between buildings at the street.  Here the developer has proposed street-facing townhouses with terraces instead of parking, and green space on Queen instead of a parking lot.  And now this is a problem?

I see the contained parking lot as a significant improvement for the streetscape.  And shifting the townhouses 4-5m back (to allow for street-facing garages would only leave a minimal back yard anyway.  Finally, no one will be forced to buy one of these units: it's just one more option for people.  And for buyers who don't prioritize back yards -- and appreciate the lower cost of a townhouse rather than a single-family home -- this could be a good choice.
Here's some renders from a pdf on the CoK website of the presentation.

Arial view:
[Image: OzTQeYS.jpg]

View from Benton:
[Image: wPD8QJ0.jpg]

I hope the townhouses have windows on the back walls, seems kind of drab without anything on the north-facing walls.
Those are old renders. The new ones at the meeting showed much more traditional-looking townhouses, rear-entry garages for most of them, and only seven units, not eight. I think the design of the mid-rise building is somewhat changed, too.
What is the next step in this process? We would be really interested in the townhouse properties...
(07-07-2016, 09:56 AM)kitchener-dk Wrote: What is the next step in this process? We would be really interested in the townhouse properties...

If you're serious, I'd suggest contacting Polocorp to see if they are open to a pre-sales priority list.  I assume that the towns will be freehold.
(07-07-2016, 09:56 AM)kitchener-dk Wrote: What is the next step in this process? We would be really interested in the townhouse properties...

And welcome to WRC, kitchener-dk! Smile

(07-05-2016, 10:41 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Those are old renders. The new ones at the meeting showed much more traditional-looking townhouses, rear-entry garages for most of them, and only seven units, not eight. I think the design of the mid-rise building is somewhat changed, too.

Bummer. I don't remember seeing any of the renderings so I posted these. I don't really have strong feelings on the parking being at the front instead of the back, most of the houses around downtown having parking on the front or sides.
Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the renders. And Polocorp hasn't put them up yet.
The Record's story on the meeting here:
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6752...usic-dogs/
Find the new renders here: https://www.kitchener.ca/en/insidecityha...1-2016.pdf

They're pretty typical but not bad looking. I would have rather seen something modern looking.
(07-05-2016, 10:48 AM)Chris Wrote: Ha. I don't think they've been "alderman" for over 20 years now. I think it was the early 90s when it was changed to councillor.

(07-05-2016, 10:58 AM)Markster Wrote: Is that what an alderman is....

They changed 'alderman' to 'councillor' when they moved to the current City Hall in the mid-90s.

They'd been discussing the change before then, but with entire new council chambers and offices being built, that made the perfect opportunity.
(07-07-2016, 08:21 PM)Lens Wrote: Find the new renders here: https://www.kitchener.ca/en/insidecityha...1-2016.pdf

They're pretty typical but not bad looking. I would have rather seen something modern looking.

I liked the previous renders, more modern-looking, with bigger windows.

That said, the new ones will indeed fit into the neighbourhood better, and probably be more readily accepted by the neighbours.

I like the new renders better. The whole point of the original design was to keep the sentiment of Barra Castle. That didn't happen, so I think this is a decent compromise. I do like the front facing windows, a little arc makes it look pretty.
I'm impressed with how seriously the developers on this project have taken feedback from the community, and IMO the end result is really positive. The new townhouse designs look much more considered and more appropriate to the neighbourhood than the earlier iterations. Props to Polocorp!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »