Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inter-region transit
(12-03-2020, 01:45 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Anyone know what the most convenient way to travel via public transit between KW and Hamilton is? Had a friend who wanted to visit from Hamilton recently and we were both shocked to find that seemingly the only way is a 4 hour (one way!) GO trip up to Square One and then from there to KW. Amazing for what is just a 45 minute drive. Is there really no direct route?

I think there used to be a mega bus/coach Canada option, but I don’t know if it is still operating during the pandemic.

I once considered visiting the Royal Botanical Gardens which I have never been to, but gave up on the idea when I realized the roundabout route I would have to take to get there.
I took the Coach Canada/Megabus route a year ago, so it was operating right up until the pandemic. Only 4 trips/day, but it was a lot faster than GO.

I suspect like Greyhound that service is suspended right now though.
I believe the only way to get to Hamilton now - apart from a car or Uber - is to take the GO to Mississauga and then continue on to Hamilton from there. Greyhound is no longer operating due to the pandemic and Megabus ceased operations in Waterloo Region a while back as well. Intercity transport in Canada is quite bad.
(12-03-2020, 11:12 AM)ac3r Wrote: I believe the only way to get to Hamilton now - apart from a car or Uber - is to take the GO to Mississauga and then continue on to Hamilton from there. Greyhound is no longer operating due to the pandemic and Megabus ceased operations in Waterloo Region a while back as well. Intercity transport in Canada is quite bad.

Yes....yes it is.

Although it's sad because I created this thread to raise the two great improvements we saw in our area.

That being said, I think there's going to be a reconing after the pandemic...private operators have utterly failed, it's long past time to change the system, but honestly I don't really trust either major party to make good decisions about this.
(12-03-2020, 11:39 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: That being said, I think there's going to be a reconing after the pandemic...private operators have utterly failed, it's long past time to change the system, but honestly I don't really trust either major party to make good decisions about this.

“either major party”? There are 3 extent parties in Ontario which have held power in the last century.

Although, to be fair, it’s hard to see from where we are to another NDP government; and there is no guarantee such a government would enact any particular policy.
(12-03-2020, 12:59 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 11:39 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: That being said, I think there's going to be a reconing after the pandemic...private operators have utterly failed, it's long past time to change the system, but honestly I don't really trust either major party to make good decisions about this.

“either major party”? There are 3 extent parties in Ontario which have held power in the last century.

Although, to be fair, it’s hard to see from where we are to another NDP government; and there is no guarantee such a government would enact any particular policy.

I mean, the NDP have held power, but not on the same scale as the liberals or conservatives. My point was to explicitly call them both out. I do trust the liberals for a lot of things, but honestly not this...not after their track record with metrolinx.

I'm not saying they won't have a more pro-transit policy framework than the conservatives, but I think it will be an equally corrupt process.

(12-03-2020, 01:14 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean, the NDP have held power, but not on the same scale as the liberals or conservatives. My point was to explicitly call them both out. I do trust the liberals for a lot of things, but honestly not this...not after their track record with metrolinx.

I'm not saying they won't have a more pro-transit policy framework than the conservatives, but I think it will be an equally corrupt process.

I was mostly quibbling.

My opinion is that the Conservatives are actively bad for transportation policy, while the Liberals provide a middle-of-the-road incompetent management that mostly just maintains the status quo but every so often does something really positive; but even then they don’t have the courage of their convictions. That is how most of Transit City got cancelled in Toronto — Rob Ford triggered the cancellation, but the actual reason most of it hasn’t been built is that the then-Liberal government didn’t promptly restart the project when City Council reversed the Mayor’s decision.

So I think we substantially agree overall. I much prefer having the Liberals governing than the Conservatives, but I don’t really expect too much from them.
Coach Canada/Megabus used to run between here and Hamilton, but with Covid I don't think it is running.
There really ought to be Go routes in more of a grid rather than the hub and spoke originating from Toronto. If there are commuter patterns between other areas that they service perhaps connections could be made.
A highway 6 bus from Guelph Central to Hamilton West Harbour via Aberfolye and 6 would be one. Or a Highway 24 connector between Smart Centres Brantford would be another that could substantially increase connectivity here.
Alternatively if HSR ever decided to provide some service to their rural areas it wouldn't be a stretch to extend a southern Cambridge GRT route to meet up somewhere.
The Aberfoyle GO stop is just over 30 km from Aldershot GO station. Seems an easy linkup to me.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »