Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
255 King St W, Cambridge | 18 + 17 + 15 fl | Proposed
Health benefits or not, who could say no to a nice mineral spring?

[Image: f58d5104ec981bb3430e630c76a1c77d.jpg]

(09-28-2022, 01:32 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(09-27-2022, 10:13 PM)nms Wrote: I wonder if the mineral baths are even still accessible as a natural feature that could be brought back as a feature.  It would be a shame if they were simply buried under a bunch of concrete.

I don't think that mineral baths would be considered a viable therapy with our more advanced understanding of medicine.

People might enjoy them nevertheless, as they do in many other countries.
(09-28-2022, 08:42 PM)ac3r Wrote: Health benefits or not, who could say no to a nice mineral spring?

[Image: f58d5104ec981bb3430e630c76a1c77d.jpg]
Except the springs in Preston are Sulphur Springs, Even if it looks like that the smell of rotting eggs will keep most people away.
Most of Iceland smells like rotting eggs and it doesn't seem to bother anyone
(09-29-2022, 08:11 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: Most of Iceland smells like rotting eggs and it doesn't seem to bother anyone

I think that has a part to do with olfactory fatigue as much as a learned tolerance, but it's true that its not that unpleasant.
Approved

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/local-news...es-5886289
This location really is quite something. If the developer doesn’t do another bait and switch, this will be a very pretty build. I wish it was less premium and more geared to normal people, but it’s still housing and very close to downtown.
local cambridge weirdo

The only real bad thing is the surface parking in the middle. It could have been so easy to just dug the underground parking 1 level deeper and cut out the surface parking all together. Oh well, new projects in Cambridge is always good to see.
Maybe the underground parking would have hit the mineral springs? Or the notoriously high Regional water table?
Quote:Towering construction cranes will soon be looming over Galt and Preston after council voted in favour of two massive residential developments Tuesday.

Great lede. No notes. The use of the thesaurus for "big" here is excellent.
https://www.cambridgetoday.ca/local-news...al-8223779

The large flour mill across the street that regularly blocks traffic with large trucks and makes a shitload of noise appealed this project to the OLT and got the developer to add noise mitigation to the towers.

Quote:Parrish & Heimbecker Limited took its concerns over noise compatibility to the OLT last fall saying it worried about the viability of its continued operations if noise from its operations weren't adequately mitigated by the developers.

The company produces flour on site and receives flour from other mills for packaging.

In the latter case, flour is delivered by trucks and transferred using a truck-mounted blower system, all of which produce noise the company worried would lead to complaints from their new neighbours.
local cambridge weirdo
(02-10-2024, 03:15 PM)bravado Wrote: https://www.cambridgetoday.ca/local-news...al-8223779

The large flour mill across the street that regularly blocks traffic with large trucks and makes a shitload of noise appealed this project to the OLT and got the developer to add noise mitigation to the towers.

Quote:Parrish & Heimbecker Limited took its concerns over noise compatibility to the OLT last fall saying it worried about the viability of its continued operations if noise from its operations weren't adequately mitigated by the developers.

The company produces flour on site and receives flour from other mills for packaging.

In the latter case, flour is delivered by trucks and transferred using a truck-mounted blower system, all of which produce noise the company worried would lead to complaints from their new neighbours.

They are being prudent as the existing neighbour. They are preparing for complaints about noise, similar to those in westvale complaining about the smell or those in Breslau complaining about planes. They know that the new residents will be complaining about the noise. I believe Brantford had a similar situation where a long standing industrial employer was planning to leave due to residential nearby. 
I’d say if you are moving into an area you need to deal with the existing conditions.
Not many people who live in housing built beside a freeway complain, but for some reason industrial uses raise their ire.
(02-10-2024, 05:32 PM)neonjoe Wrote: They are being prudent as the existing neighbour. They are preparing for complaints about noise, similar to those in westvale complaining about the smell or those in Breslau complaining about planes. They know that the new residents will be complaining about the noise. I believe Brantford had a similar situation where a long standing industrial employer was planning to leave due to residential nearby. 
I’d say if you are moving into an area you need to deal with the existing conditions.
Not many people who live in housing built beside a freeway complain, but for some reason industrial uses raise their ire.

Airports have the same problem with unreasonable neighbours. I think there are still signs in Mississauga from 40 years ago essentially advertising the fact that there is an airport nearby so don’t complain if you hear airplanes flying over your newly constructed house.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »